• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

Green hairstreak reported at Holme NOA on their website yesterday

2 outside the observatory this morning. 1 tatty individuality hanging around the small Sycamore by the pond. It sat on my finger quite happily until a camera was produced. The other better looking GH can be found on the larger Sycamore or the Brambles next to it.

Speckled Wood floating around the Pines too.

All the best,

Robert

More Whites (mostly Green-veined) and Orange Tips in various places today.

The male Brimstone was just north of Holt, as were the other two.

Attachments

• 172pse.jpg
    172pse.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 35
  • 176pse.jpg
    176pse.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 180pse.jpg
    180pse.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 35
Another fruitless search for green hairstreak at Mousehold Heath today. Unless I am rubbish at spotting a butterfly (possible) then saw nothing that resembles one on the carpet of gorse around the vinegar pond.

My only thought is that the cold nights that we have had are holding back their emergence.

Saw my 1st green hairstreak at east ruston common monday,only the 1 though,and fluffed the shot of it,ho hum.

I found a dead female Emperor Moth on the pavement outside a building on the St Andrews business park in Thorpe St Andrew today. It appeared to have been blown into the wall by the high winds but I've no idea where it had come from. No obvious heathland around there now.

The warden at Mousehold reports a single green hairstreak at the back of the vinegar pond last friday. This is the area between the pond and the path leading (ultimately) to Zaks, as opposed to the more usual area of heath north of the pond.

This male Orange Tip seemed frozen on to the Dandelion, at Warham Greens yesterday.

A Holly Blue was elusive.

There were few other butterflies around.

Attachments

• 097pse.jpg
    097pse.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 51
Just a quick reminder that I will be opening a moth trap daily (Monday to Sunday) this coming week at Strumpshaw Fen as part of our biodiversity recording week (bioblitz).

It is free of charge to come and look at the moths, the trap should be opened between 9 and 10am (dependent on when I finish any early morning surveys I have to do).
Hopefully the cloudy days will give rise to some slightly milder nights and we'll get some moths to look at- I should have one trap in the fen and another in the woodland so there will be a bit of a mix of species.

Cheers- Ben

Note the lovely blue spots on the Small Copper below: making it the form caeruleopunctata.

This was my FoY and in the Dell meadow, Wells Woods today.

The male Orange Tip, which allowed a close approach, was at Warham Greens.

Attachments

• 026pse.jpg
    026pse.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 61
  • 072pse.jpg
    072pse.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Moth traps not looking very productive this week. 3 MV's on last night produced 6 moths of 4 species! Mid-May?? Traps not out tonight due to constant rain predicted.

On a better note I had my first common blue butterfly and azure damselfly today.

At Pensthorpe: a male Wall, the first for the year and much earlier than the few I've ever seen there before.

Thomas

As I will be visiting Norfolk this weekend (17th May) I would be interested to know if any Swallowtail Butterflies are being seen yet. I'm guessing it's probably still a little early but any feedback regarding sightings etc much appreciated.

Many Thanks

As I will be visiting Norfolk this weekend (17th May) I would be interested to know if any Swallowtail Butterflies are being seen yet. I'm guessing it's probably still a little early but any feedback regarding sightings etc much appreciated.

Many Thanks

None yet Pete, I usually say to visitors that the last week of May/1st week of June is usually the emergence period....but this year- who knows!

At Strumpshaw on Sunday there were large numbers of Orange Tips and Peacocks and quite a few Brimstones. I spent most of the day trying to get a photograph of an Orange Tip but none of them would settle.

Eventually one landed and proceeded to nectar on a white flowered plant. I took some shots, gradually getting closer. Eventually, when I had reached point blank range, the temptation became too much and I carefully placed my finger in front of it. It walked onto my finger and I slowly drew my hand away and was able to inspect it from all angles right in front of my face.

My question is, why was this specimen so confiding when none of the others were even landing? Was it so full from nectaring that it was in a stupor? Also, what is the white flower which it was feeding on?

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the incident as it is difficult to use a DSLR with a butterfly on your finger. ;)

Ron

Attachments

• Close-orange-tip-small.jpg
    Close-orange-tip-small.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Close-orange-tip-2.jpg
    Close-orange-tip-2.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 47

Users who are viewing this thread

Back