• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Small Heath

Small heath is "widespread but local"
Here's 2012's records. There's a lot on the coast but also a lot in the brecks and a smattering elsewhere. I suspect it goes unrecorded quite often.

Pleased people are seeing Swallowtails after Catfield's rather disasterous open day: it's all about the weather.

Attachments

• sh 2012.jpg
    sh 2012.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 55
We had a good catch of moths last night after a poor start to the year so far including 5 species of Hawk-moth, Poplar, Eyed, Lime, Elephant and, a first for the garden, Pine.

Comments on the Blue, please: I’m just a little puggled. Is it 'becoming' a female Common ?

The rather lovely micro was found (well done, Will) near the Edgefield Hill Roller site. It is a (thanks, Will) Common Tubic Alabonia geoffrella.

Oh, and I forgot, Large Skipper here, too (Tues 18th).

Attachments

• 041pse.jpg
    041pse.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 098pse3.jpg
    098pse3.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
There seemed to have been an emergence of these moths, Nemophora degeerella, at Whitlingham this morning, with 55+ close together on some nettles. Also quite a few Nettle Tap moths, something which I have presumably just overlooked here in the past.

Attachments

• Nemophora degeerella (800x600).jpg
    Nemophora degeerella (800x600).jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 94
Also had a Painted Lady at Fritton Common near Long Stratton today. A typical time of year for the first records weather providing. Nice to see nine Meadow Browns in their newly-emerged finery - lovely orange tone on the underwings - also Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Speckled Wood and Mother Shipton.

First Large Skipper of the year, south of Long Stratton along Haynton's Lane on Sunday (23rd).

I've now had reports of Dark-green Frit, White-letter Hairstreak and Small Skipper flying. Just one of each though. I'd expect Purple Hairstreak by now - must be worth checking out oak trees between 4 and 6pm if it's warm.

Haddiscoe Island

Had a clouded yellow along the footpath at the northern end of Haddiscoe Island on Tuesday 25th June.Today at Haddiscoe Marsh 6 meadow brown,2 small heath,common blue,large skipper and 2 sm tortoiseshell along dismantled railway line.

A belated report of purple hairstreak from last week just in. And a green hairstreak seen yesterday - Don't think we've had them overlap before.

I've now had more clouded yellow reports than the whole of last year - which is encouraging.

We had a Speckled Wood in the garden in Gorleston this afternoon. It was nectaring on purple Sage flowers. I can't remember the last time I saw a Speckled Wood here, if ever.

Ron

A foray around Wiveton Down did not produce any Purple Hairstreaks. Speckled Woods were noticeable (richly and newly minted) and a Ringlet was my FoY.

Holkham, similarly had neither White-letters nor White Admirals. However, venturing on to the Dunes gave a selection of decently clothed sun-worshippers (for a welcome change), 3 Painted Ladies and a pair of occasionally cavorting Dark Green Fritillaries.

Attachments

• 325pse.jpg
    325pse.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 374pse.jpg
    374pse.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 438pse.jpg
    438pse.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 466pse.jpg
    466pse.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
There were Small Tortoiseshells everywhere at Strumpshaw yesterday, most of them minty fresh. Also 7 Meadow Browns and 2 Brimstones. I also enjoyed watching a large and furry Fox Moth caterpillar undulating its way across the path on the Lackford Run.

Edit. Fox Moth caterpillar now identified by James as Garden Tiger Moth.

Ron

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back