• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (11 Viewers)

I’m afraid the melting eyes of the Chaser provided the only chocolate on offer, Shaky09.

Similarly, I was unable to Pepper over the cracks.

All in all, a day without fizz- and not a ‘Yokel’ in sight. I feel more than sorry for my young friends who had, earlier, 'dipped' the Runting Bunton and had got most of the way to Norwich, before heading back NE.

The attached bird (yours) gave me a bit of a start, though.

Attachments

• 161pse.jpg
    161pse.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Norfolk Hawker, Hairy Dragonfly, Common Blue Damselfly, Azure Damselfly, Red-eyed Damselfly, Large Red Damselfly and Banded Demoiselle all at Thorpe Marsh (Norwich) this afternoon.

Saw my first ever Norfolk Hawker at Strumpshaw Fen this morning (hooray!). There were several both in and outside the grounds, but one in particular was patrolling the dyke along the Meadow Trail for some time (plus having a constant battle with a Hairy Dragonfly!).

Also seen two Broad Bodied Chasers on Mousehold Heath this evening.

I received my copy of the new Atlas of Dragonflies of Britain and Ireland today, which looks excellent. I particularly like the habitat photos, which may prove handy when looking for particular species. In a Norfolk context I was surprised by the amount of squares with Scarce Emerald Damselfly records, and similarly some records of Beautiful Demoiselle in NW Norfolk.

Any sites and dates mentioned James?

Norfolk Hawkers

Strumpshaw was alive with Norfolk Hawkers yesterday afternoon: loads of Four-spots and Hairies too!

Attachments

• NORFOLK HAWKER.jpg
    NORFOLK HAWKER.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 84
  • FOUR SPOT.jpg
    FOUR SPOT.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 64
Red-eyed Damselflies and Four-spotted Chasers at Queens Hills yesterday, on storm pond off Ringland Lane, and Red-eyed also at Sparham today.

Attachments

• IMG_6397.jpg
    IMG_6397.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6335.jpg
    IMG_6335.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 58
First common emeralds out today at Swanton Novers, but they were adults suggesting the tenerals have been out for some time. The earliest record for the site by 2 weeks. Also large red damsels , red eyed , blue tailed , azure , common blue , 4 spot and BB chasers.

Broadland Business Park and Strumpshaw Area

At Broadland Business Park lake, there were Azure, Common Blue, Blue Tailed and Red Eyed Damsels as well Banded Demoiselles, Emperors, Four Spot Chaser and a fly past Norfolk Hawker.

At Strumpshaw Fen, there were lots of Dragons including Banded Demoisells, Azure and Blue Tailed Damsels, Norfolk Hawkers, Black Tailed Skimmers and several Scarce Chasers.

Also, a fly past Norfolk Hawker at Strumpshaw Hill.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
I was at the UEA on Sunday for the Sci Fi convention and saw a male Banded Demoiselle on campus, outside the bar. I then rounded the corner and bumped into Boba Fett.
What can I say? These aren't the Damsels you're looking for........

Jim.

While walking along the footparth at Stiffkey Fen I was surprised to see a Keeled Skimmer , As far as i know a first for the site, also 4 spot chaser , common blue , banded , lg red , blue tailed and azure damselflies.

While out walking along our dykes on Thorpe (Haddiscoe) marshes yesterday there were particularly high numbers of Norfolk Hawkers. Typically as I wasn't carrying a camera they were repeatedly posing well in good light etc! Probably about a third of our dykes are heavily populated with Water Soldiers but the others (part of a closed system) have none - although rich in other aquatic flora - and at this time of the year all the dykes are regularly patrolled by Norfolk Hawkers.

What I hadn't seen before was one ovipositing on the submerged stems of Arrowhead (Sagittaria sagittifolia) in one of the dykes devoid of water soldiers. The insect was watched for several minutes and visited several different plants. I've watched many previous Norfolk Hawkers ovipositing over the years both in our dykes and even in one of the small "wildlife" ponds in our garden - but always where Water Soldiers are present.

From the limited literature I've read (Brooks/Lewington 1999, page 112), up until at least 1996 "no larvae or exuviae have been found in such ditches" (...devoid of Water Soldiers). I'm also aware that in recent years Norfolk Hawkers of a presumed continental origin have become established(?) at sites - such as Minsmere - without populations of Water Soldiers.

So, I'd appreciate any views/opinions/comments on whether this was a "rogue" native insect behaving unusually, that native insects regularly oviposit outside Water Soldier populated ditches or is it possible that we now have a mixed-origin population of Norfolk Hawkers on our marshes.

Chris A.

Lesser Emperor still at Felbrigg this morning, hopefully it will stay until tomorrow when I can go! With 5+ yesterday in the east of the county, it must be worth keep an eye out for more. Would be a very welcome Norfolk "tick" if one does stick around...

Broadland business park at thorpe has two ponds, both with cafes beside them. Today both had patrolling Norfolk Hawkers, along with emperors and azures. There's not many cafe's can boast a uk BAP species as an attraction.

The last converation I had with Pam Taylor of BDS, she seemed to consider the association of norfolk's with water soldier to have been superseded - I speculate possibly it only held while the climate was marginal for the species: there's never been such a limitation on the continent.

Anything more on the Lesser Emperors at Filby Broad. On the boardwalk is all I've heard. Is there only one boardwalk - accessed from where?

It's the weekend :)

The last converation I had with Pam Taylor of BDS, she seemed to consider the association of norfolk's with water soldier to have been superseded - I speculate possibly it only held while the climate was marginal for the species: there's never been such a limitation on the continent.

Following on from my observations/query yesterday about Norfolk Hawkers & ovipositing in Water Soldier-free ditches, I had the following response from Pam Taylor (to whom I emailed the same text) along the same lines:

"Although Norfolk Hawkers are found predominently in water soldier filled dykes, they are not dependent on them. Research has shown that Norfolk Hawkers will breed in dykes that have a rich aquatic (climax) flora, even if water soldier is lacking and this has happened increasingly in recent years (see below).

On the continent Norfolk Hawkers are not dependent on water soldier and really their dependence here is more coincidence than anything else (both plant and dragonfly preferring unpolluted, slow-flowing conditions). Having said that, the structure of water soldier is beneficial to many dragonfly species and many breed well where it is present.

Recent years have been good for Norfolk Hawkers and their populations have increased and spread. With optimal sites now likely to be full of territorial males, it's only to be expected that some will overspill into other dykes and use less traditional sites. Although this may be due to the influence of continental migrants, I very much doubt it. The more likely reason being that Norfolk Hawker numbers are strong at the moment and as I say, the apparent dependence on water soldier was only coincidental in the first place.

You might be interested to know that last year's cold spring led to Norfolk Hawkers emerging ahead of the water soldier plants reaching the surface. This led to the dragonflies emerging on a wide range of other dyke plants instead. These included reeds, arrowhead and rushes - all highly untypical.

Dr Pam Taylor
Norfolk Dragonfly Recorder"

Lesser Emperor

Decent example patrolling the small pool to the east of the path out to Gun Hill yesterday: I did point it out to several SW watchers, but they didn't seem interested! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back