• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (1 Viewer)

I've seen Banded Demoiselles at Felbrigg on only a handful of occasions in the past but have seen upto 10 around the lake in recent days including a couple of females, so there certainly appears to have been an influx there.

I also saw a demoiselle sp. today out to sea off Overstrand, and getting it in the scope it looked for all the world like a Beautiful with wholly dark wings although sadly the views were too distant to make a definite claim.

Simon

Have had several records of Banded Demoiselles flying around Hempnall village over the last three weeks. Normally see one or two wanderers each summer but the numbers this year are unprecedented. Interestingly, all the records involve males only.

Holt CP pond had two 4 spots, and the lowes had 8 keeled skimmers saturday evening
Flordon common on sunday had brown,southern hawkers, common blues, blue-tail and a very faded large red.

edit to say: whoops forgot the common darter at flordon.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how to access scarning fen?,went there today and have no idea where you get in,i walked along a wooden walkway through a bit of a wood..................i need help lol.

Does anybody know how to access scarning fen?,went there today and have no idea where you get in,i walked along a wooden walkway through a bit of a wood..................i need help lol.

See attached map for location of entrance.

There is no designated parking place, the easiest/safest place is to pull up on the verge just before the field entrance which I've also marked on the map.

Hope this helps

Simon

Attachments

• ScarningFen.JPG
    ScarningFen.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 94
Small Red-eyed Damselfly photographed outside North Hide at Cley this morning. I'm attempting to upload my first ever photo onto here but I'm having problems. Something about my file dimensions being 4320-3240 instead of the required 1600-1200. Sorry, I'm a bit of an old duffer when it comes to computers. Can anyone help please? Thanks.

Steve.

Last edited:
You'll need to either crop it or shrink it using an edit program. If you don't have one handy you can open the file in Windows Paint and resize it using Image,attributes. But do this on a copy of your photo as it will degrade the quality.

I see BugAlert is reporting Southern Emeralds at Winterton - any one got any info?

You'll need to either crop it or shrink it using an edit program. If you don't have one handy you can open the file in Windows Paint and resize it using Image,attributes. But do this on a copy of your photo as it will degrade the quality.

I see BugAlert is reporting Southern Emeralds at Winterton - any one got any info?

Yes Southern Emeralds or Migrant Spreadwings have been so far at Winterton (and in Kent) and they have featured on our 'spare' line.

For the phone number please look here http://www.birdlineeastanglia.co.uk

Thanks

Robin

Last edited:
Picture hopefully attached. Thanks for the helpful advice Harassed Dad. It took me a while to work it out and I had to endure a couple of sweaty palm moments but I got there in the end. Like they say...easy when you know how!

Attachments

• 252.JPG
    252.JPG
    476.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Still at least 2 Southern Emerald Damselflies on the pool north of the concrete blocks in Winterton North Dunes on Sunday pm.

Also 3 Common Hawkers emerged from the same pool during the afternoon, one of which sadly had pretty crumpled wings.

Simon

Attachments

• SouthernEm3.jpg
    SouthernEm3.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 86
  • SouthernEm4.jpg
    SouthernEm4.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 91
  • CommonHawker4.jpg
    CommonHawker4.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 78
  • CommonHawker1.jpg
    CommonHawker1.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 100
Willow Emerald at UEA today, just down river from the broad

Attachments

• Willow Emerald UEA (Medium).jpg
    Willow Emerald UEA (Medium).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 84
Nice find.

Also from UEA Broad, I photographed this damselfly back on 5th June and believe its an immature Large Red-eyed Damselfly but I'm looking for confirmation. Thanks.

Steve.

Attachments

• 191.JPG
    191.JPG
    470.9 KB · Views: 95
Can anyone id these 2 darters from my garden for me? No other photos of the second I'm afraid as it took off and disappeared over my house when I tried to get a better angle.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Darter.JPG
    Darter.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Darter 2.JPG
    Darter 2.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 68
Common Darter, Migrant Hawker, Brown Hawker and Black-tailed Skimmer at Queen's Hills today

There were some Small Red-eyed Damselflies around the lagoon in the middle of the rough ground on the right of the road between the bridge over the river and the start of the estate proper. Not sure if this is a known site for them?

Simon

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back