• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Shriek (cunning anagram, not a typo)!

Crikey - GGS on home turf! Superb! Pity with all the man hours spent watching there's no photographs as yet released. This would satisfy any lingering doubts. Anyone know the spotter? Stewart J? Your area!

Quick visit to Cresswell late pm..
2 Greenshank, 3 Curlew Sands(2 adults and one Juv.), 13 Blackwits, 2 Ruff and big supporting cast of common waders.... No little American jobbie whilst i was here.

Bothal pond-
1 Spotted Redshank and 2 Green sands.

Attachments

• tn_mixed waders Cresswell.jpg
    tn_mixed waders Cresswell.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Good display at Cresswell this morning SemiPalmated SandPiper still showing well along with Sand Curlews, Godwitt, Dunlin etc, good morning birding.

Crikey - GGS on home turf! Superb! Pity with all the man hours spent watching there's no photographs as yet released. This would satisfy any lingering doubts. Anyone know the spotter? Stewart J? Your area!

According to the Hexham Courant the nest was discovered by 'prominent naturalist Colin Simms at a secret location on Alston Moor, the nest was undisturbed and three young were raised.'

Good display at Cresswell this morning SemiPalmated SandPiper still showing well along with Sand Curlews, Godwitt, Dunlin etc, good morning birding.

Couldn't agree more - although i missed the Semipalmated Sandpiper i got a new record with a Wood Sandpiper.
Got to say a big thanks to the guys (one was called Andy) who were in the hide when i was there, they were really helpful and as a complete novice they managed to talk me on to a good few birds for me to get a couple of photographs.

Posted some pics on the S Tyneside thread including the Curlew Sandpiper and a record shot of the Wood Sandpiper..

Link to that post here http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1565278&postcount=2909

This was actually Cumbria and not Northumberland. Still a cracking bird to have breeding in the UK.
Lets hope they return next year or even better stay all winter.

According to the information I have both from the Hexham Courant article and another source the location was in Tynedale which means the nest site was in Northumberland. See link for boundary http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/boundary_map_page.jsp?u_id=10057012&c_id=

It may well be that the nest was extremely close to the border and the birds were moving between the two counties. I have not spoken to Colin Simms so I can't confirm this.

According to the information I have both from the Hexham Courant article and another source the location was in Tynedale which means the nest site was in Northumberland. See link for boundary http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/boundary_map_page.jsp?u_id=10057012&c_id=

It may well be that the nest was extremely close to the border and the birds were moving between the two counties. I have not spoken to Colin Simms so I can't confirm this.

It would now appear that the information published regarding the location was misleading and Gary was correct that it was in Cumbria. Apologies.

wonder who is busy rushing up to see this bunting :p

Almost went for the citrine wagtail today, but then i realised it wasnt a male. ie not the LOUD version.

You may get one of these a bit closer to home. Birdguides have just reported a probable juv (not a loud one!) on rocks on the beach just SE of Newton Links car park. Nice bright males are as rare as hen's teeth I think.
A

You may get one of these a bit closer to home. Birdguides have just reported a probable juv (not a loud one!) on rocks on the beach just SE of Newton Links car park. Nice bright males are as rare as hen's teeth I think.
A

Just to fill you in a bit....

The cit wag reported at High Newton was seen this morning before 8.30 by a single observer who called me and was 95% confident of the ID. Unfortunately the bird in question flew off and could not be relocated to confirm the ID despite at least 3 hours searching by 2 people.

Its a big place and there are plenty of good spots for wagtails along this stretch of coast. I reported the bird as a probable cit wag thinking that there could be birders close by who might feel like dropping in and having a look around for it...

Cresswell today was quite busy and that was just the hide. Good numbers of Black-tailed Godwit (more than 20), at least 5 Bar-tailed Godwit, 2 Greenshank, at least 2 Ruff, 4 Curlew Sand (1 adult), a single Wood Sand and the star attraction, Semipalmated sandpiper.
I also had a Reed Warbler, which as far as I can remember is the first one I've seen at Cresswell.

Attachments

• Wood Sandpiper, Cresswell 3 BF.jpg
    Wood Sandpiper, Cresswell 3 BF.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 65
Worst Kept Secret

So, within a week GGS amd MH breeding within a short(ish) twitch of Chez Moi!

But whilst the success(es) are to be applauded, surely in the case of the latter, 'that odd bit of road from the 1068 down to the dunes' has now become, to 'the Great Unwashed', 'the road to Harriers'. And one Harrier is just like all the others. And the myths continue. And then voila, the headlines change from 'Marsh Harriers breed in Northumberland after 130 years' to 'Marsh Harriers found dead along with chicks'.

Whilst it may not be the best secret within learned circles, the news has now gone wider and with width comes risk as proper knowledge diminishes and ignorance takes over.

Or should the approach be similar to Red Kites and make MHs the focal point of Chevington life and thereby have hundreds of sets of eyes looking out for the birds (as the other Harrier project realised was the better option)?

I suppose the worst approach is a half way house, neither one way nor the other.

Here endeth the first 'lesson'.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back