• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (3 Viewers)

NTBC Trip to Kielder Sunday 22nd March got Goshawk, Common Buzzard, Raven, Crossbills, Siskin, Kestrel, Goosander, Curlew, Mandarin Duck, Dipper, possible Hen Harrier, Sand Martin and Swallow. plus loads of more common species. Large turn out 26+ members, good craic.

NTBC Trip to Kielder Sunday 22nd March got Goshawk, Common Buzzard, Raven, Crossbills, Siskin, Kestrel, Goosander, Curlew, Mandarin Duck, Dipper, possible Hen Harrier, Sand Martin and Swallow. plus loads of more common species. Large turn out 26+ members, good craic.

Sounds like a cracking day out Davy and you even got the Dipper you were after, and then some. Unfortunately I was otherwise engaged so unfortunately missed yet another good trip :(

Single Black-tailed Godwit (breeding plumage) Grindon Lough at 16.00hrs, flew off east with a Curlew at 16.30hrs.

No hirundines!

Stewart

Hi

I am going to be heading up to Northumberland from West Yorkshire at the weekend for a week stay near Berwick. I was thinking I might go to Kielder and I was just wondering if you could give some insight into where all these sightings were?

Thanks!

Owen

Act Swiftly

Alpine Swift on Birdguides at 11:10 today over the north shore at Alnmouth. And I am at work!!!

Do these birds hang around? Do I get up there for dawn tomorrow?

Note: They clearly are swift by name and nature as gone by noon! Drat; Drat; and Double Drat!

Last edited:
Alpine Swift on Birdguides at 11:10 today over the north shore at Alnmouth. And I am at work!!!

Do these birds hang around? Do I get up there for dawn tomorrow?

Note: They clearly are swift by name and nature as gone by noon! Drat; Drat; and Double Drat!
Hi Alpine Swifts in the spring rarely hang around for long.You have to be in the right place at the right time for seeing them.

Hi

I am going to be heading up to Northumberland from West Yorkshire at the weekend for a week stay near Berwick. I was thinking I might go to Kielder and I was just wondering if you could give some insight into where all these sightings were?

Thanks!

Owen

There is a public viewpoint along the Southern Shore a couple of miles east of Kielder village at Bakethin, this is as good a location as any to view soaring raptors at Kielder.

Whilst on the subject may I just take the opportunity to remind those of you that post here that this is a public forum and posting sightings of schedule 1 breeding raptors from areas that are known for persecution of such birds is ill advised whether they were seen on a bird club trip or not. Not everyone that reads this forum will be raptor friendly and I'm sure none of you would wish to inadvertently pass on information that resulted in breeding raptors being disrupted or persecuted.

Last edited:
A detour to the Derwent Valley

Could I suggest that either on your way north or south, you take a detour to see our Red Kites in the lower Derwent Valley.
There is a thread here on BF Friends of Red Kites

We also have our small website at www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

There is a Red kite Trail, and plenty of information boards at intervals throughout the Walk. National Trust Gibside is a hub of kite activity, too.

June Atkinson
Press & Publicity Officer
FoRK

Hi

Thanks!

Owen

There is a public viewpoint along the Southern Shore a couple of miles east of Kielder village at Bakethin, this is as good a location as any to view soaring raptors at Kielder.

Whilst on the subject may I just take the opportunity to remind those of you that post here that this is a public forum and posting sightings of schedule 1 breeding raptors from areas that are known for persecution of such birds is ill advised whether they were seen on a bird club trip or not. Not everyone that reads this forum will be raptor friendly and I'm sure none of you would wish to inadvertently pass on information that resulted in breeding raptors being disrupted or persecuted.

Well said Alan. Hope you understand the caution Owen.

Unless things have changed dramatically in the last couple of months, the raptor viewpoint now has a barrier across to prevent vehicle access, and the info signs directing you to it have been removed. The view from the viewpoint has been increasingly obscured by the trees in front of it, so Forestry Commission decided to discourage it's use.

cheers
martin

Bakethin View Point

Gents - following Vipers' report of a veritable finch-fest at the view point, I was there last Saturday. My blog describes what I did (not) find. I have never been there before so assume I got the directions right. I parked in the small car park (the access road beyond is gated off) and walked up the hill through the forest for 300m before joining a 'farm track' that took me to my right and up the hill for another 500m. At this point the track stops and there are two barely visible foot paths (I use the term path in its broadest sense). There is a small felled area here and as it did not seem obvious where I went next, I did a prompt u-turn and went back to the car. The general view was great, but unless you carry the birding equivalent of the Hubble Space Telescope, or you have Steve Austin's left eye, I would look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Male Black Redstart showing well this afternoon, behind the plantation at the entrance to Druridge pool. Unfortunately not well enough for photos though. :-C

Could anyone give me some advice and grid refs for good places up in Kielder such as viewpoints or pull-ins where I could scan for Goshawks?

The reason is I planned Bakethin but have just read it is now out of use and not much good.

PM's most welcome

thanks in advance,

Could anyone give me some advice and grid refs for good places up in Kielder such as viewpoints or pull-ins where I could scan for Goshawks?

The reason is I planned Bakethin but have just read it is now out of use and not much good.

PM's most welcome

thanks in advance,

Hi Andrew,
I was up there a few weeks ago. Bakethin car park is still in use and you can walk up the 100m to the walled view point. Even though the surrounding trees might have grown a bit compared to what they were, you still get a very good view across the res and over surrounding plantations. If you're going to Kielder anyway, its worth giving it a while here. Also plenty of Crossbills here, some giving excellent views in the pines between the lookout point and the road.
I also tried north of Kielder village, towards the Scottish border. There are quite a few pull-ins all along the road, so I'd just stop at a couple which give good all round views.

If you want more specific sites to look for Goshawks, pick up some of the Forestry Commission literature from any of the Tourist Information Centres ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back