• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Darren,

it's mobile (it's a gull! ;)), but I saw it about 400 yards(?) south of the promenade, near the outflow of a small stream - there's often a congregation of gulls there.

Last edited:
I went to a Goshawk site in central Northumberland to day, to see if they had started displaying yet. Walking for about a mile into the forest to find a good vantage point. I only had to wait ten minutes before getting my first view of a female Gos, briefly displaying before dropping back into the forest. After about half an hour, a male and female Gos appeared circling together above the trees. Then the female started her butterfly display flight and the male started stooping at her. I watched them through the scope for about twenty minutes, before they dissapeared into the forest. Absolutely amazing!!
There were lots of Crossbills flying about, including a flock c50 although none of them landed in view. I also saw Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and a pair of Common Buzzards displaying. So it seems like spring is in the air.

I then decided to go to Ingram valley to try and photograph Dippers. But the light in the valley was dire and I could only manage a shutter speed of 1/15sec. I still got some shots, but nothing brilliant. It was nice to just sit and watch these amazing birds.

Attachments

• Dipper 1 email.jpg
    Dipper 1 email.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Dipper 2.jpg
    Dipper 2.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 109
Nothing special to report, but I went to the nature reserve in Gosforth this afternoon and saw more woodland birds there than I've ever seen before at this time of year, both in numbers and species. Why this should be today in particular, I've no idea. I was there last week and it was very quiet.

Right by the entrance two Treecreepers were chasing each other wildly round a tree-trunk, while a Nuthatch was in a nearby tree. Several Goldcrest could be seen around here as well, and then I got a quick look at a Great Spotted Woodpecker as it flew off away from me. This was all before going through the gate into the woods.

Numerous Teal and Wigeon were on the lake, looking very neat and attractive in the late afternoon sun, together with Mute Swans, Coot, Moorhens and a Gadwall. Four Grey Herons were on the far shore.

Other birds seen later in the wooded parts were Long-tailed Tits, a Jay, Coal, Great and Blue Tits, a Reed Warbler, Robins and Blackbirds.

A very enjoyable couple of hours. It's hard to believe such a peaceful location is so near the middle of Newcastle.

Had a 9km wander around the top of the Coquet Valley today, not a great deal about. 7 Raven, 12 Red Grouse, 1 female Snow Bunting.

Rob

Attachments

• sb.jpg
    sb.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Ravens are always great to see though, Rob.

I was at Plessey woods today - just somewhere easy to get to because the weather forecast hadn't been too promising.

I also wanted to see if I could still take pictures of birds that lived somewhere other than St Mary's

;)

I was really hoping to find some dippers to photograph (Gary put the idea into my head), but failed dismally on that score.

Still, the day got out quite nice: loads of jays of course, and they helped me find the most "interesting" bird of the day - they were mobbing a buzzard in a tree on the top of the valley, but it skedaddled before I could get the camera onto it.

Shame, because buzzards are still a bit of a novelty in SE Northumberland.

Aside from that, just the Usual Suspects.

A kingfisher whizzed by at one point, and there were three or four herons at various points on the river.

The woods were alive with goldcrest, blue, great and long tailed tits - Spring's on the way, and they know it.

Several waves of fieldfares and redwings overflew, heading east - off home, maybe?

After a while The Great Unwashed started showing up in numbers, so I found myself a small clearing in the woods and sat down with my back against a tree, waiting to see if any birds would come to me.

Before long I had birds all around: by pure fluke I'd parked myself a few feet away from a (maple?) tree that was oozing sweet sap - the birds loved it and kept coming back for more.

I saw several GSW, and had a bit of a panic when a seemingly very small woodpecker appeared overhead - but it wasn't a lesser, it was just a rather compact greater deliberately winding me up!

I only saw a couple of treecreepers, but the nuthatches loved the tree sap - I had several of them within about ten feet of me, more than once - and a great tit, foraging around in the leaf litter, perched on my toe at one point!

And all without a scrap of camo!

I ended up sitting there for over two hours - I was frozen through by the time I packed in - but I got some pictures I'm pretty pleased with.

Attachments

• nut1frame.jpg
    nut1frame.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 68
  • nut2frame.jpg
    nut2frame.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 82
  • nut3frame2.jpg
    nut3frame2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 82
  • gt1frame2.jpg
    gt1frame2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
4 Red Crested Pochards ( 2 m & 2 f )rpt today at East Chevington North Pool.....Plastic I hear you all cry...also Hume's Warbler still at Whitley Bay again today..

Patch visit St Marys

Weather again grey overcast with occasional drizzle roll on spring I'm suffering the Winter blues.

Pond held a mixture of wildfowl but few waders, pair of Wigeon many Teal and a single Drake shoveler mixed with Greylags, Moorhen, and Mallards.

Rocks had the usual mix of waders and gulls but nothing to report of any note on the sea bar 2 Shelduck banging North.

Skylark had a half-hearted attempt at singing and a number of Reed Bunting were seen.

North bay had the best birds today with good views of Sanderling, Purple sandpiper, Turnstones, Grey and Pied wagtail, Rock and meadow pipit.

The new sea defences proving to be popular with the pipits.

Attachments

• dunlin.jpg
    dunlin.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 88
  • sanderling.jpg
    sanderling.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 70
  • pals.jpg
    pals.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
Hi Brian,

it'd be useful to know what your patch is - "pond" doesn't give much of a clue!

I'm guessing St Mary's?

;)

Correct Keith had a few falling down waters brain retired early, i should have joined it :h?:

Med Gull on the Foxhunters playing field again this morning......Now if it would only fly over my garden....(Tick) o:) o:)

rokermartin said:
Drudridge Bay CPK Crossbill 30+ and 2 Mealy Redpoll is morning

They showed well on Thursday but the light was poor and the wind strong ,I did not see the Redpolls where they in with the Siskin flock,these would not settle for more than a second or two,about 10 Bulfinch in the car park late afternoon

Attachments

• DSCN4757.JPG
    DSCN4757.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN4790.jpg
    DSCN4790.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 79
lovely pics brian. i would like to catch those crossbills for my year list this weekend.

amazingly i was up in the cairngorms last week and didn't see any.

just thought i'd mention. last friday morning around 6am, on our way up to scotland we saw a tawny, two barns and a little owl in between stagshaw roundabout and the ton inn (?) on the a68.

not a bad start to the weekend. not a bad finish either as i got a 30 second view of a golden eagle circling off a munro face at the end on loch ness... my first ever.

one barn owl was in exactly the same spot on the way home, although of course i can't be sure it was it was one of the two i saw on friday.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back