• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Oh, group of 7 Whoopers at DBCP the other day.

No sign of the shore larks, which had been around just before Christmas, but there were many folk on the beach and a lot of dogs: will check again later today or tomorrow, as it should be quieter.

No sign of the shore larks the last couple of days, just plenty of optimistic photographers...

Ring-tail hen harrier was quartering the reed beds at Chevington north pool and drifting off towards DBCP both yesterday and the day before.

The crossbills at DBCP decided to show themselves in conifers by the visitor centre car park.

No sign of the shore larks the last couple of days, just plenty of optimistic photographers...

Ring-tail hen harrier was quartering the reed beds at Chevington north pool and drifting off towards DBCP both yesterday and the day before.

The crossbills at DBCP decided to show themselves in conifers by the visitor centre car park.

Seven Shore Larks were present at East Chevington yesterday, and have been reported today

Attachments

• Shore-Lark-2R0A9599-05_01_2017.jpg
    Shore-Lark-2R0A9599-05_01_2017.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 47
Gyr Falcon?

I took a few photos from near Lynemouth flash at 11.00 am this morning of a very large Falcon. I am not techy enough to convert them to the right size for this forum. More information on Yellowbellyinexile.blogspot.co.uk

A Buzzard sized falcon with this patterning etc must be a Gyr, but I have never seen one in the flesh (feather).

My inclination is towards escaped bird from a Bird of Prey collection. A man I met suggested a tagged bird from a breeding site.

I would appreciate sage observations.

I took a few photos from near Lynemouth flash at 11.00 am this morning of a very large Falcon. I am not techy enough to convert them to the right size for this forum. More information on Yellowbellyinexile.blogspot.co.uk

A Buzzard sized falcon with this patterning etc must be a Gyr, but I have never seen one in the flesh (feather).

My inclination is towards escaped bird from a Bird of Prey collection. A man I met suggested a tagged bird from a breeding site.

There's been a very mobile escapee hanging around the coast for the last year or so, moves down the coast as far as Teesside as well.

Hi Andrew

From the photos on your blog, it seems to have jesses on and what looks like a transmitter on its back. So an escapee I'm afraid.

The Diver showed very well this afternoon on Ladyburn Lake, Druridge Bay Country Park. It showed down to 5m at times. Unbelievable!!

Attachments

• Pacific Diver, DBCP 10.jpg
    Pacific Diver, DBCP 10.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 71
The Diver showed very well this afternoon on Ladyburn Lake, Druridge Bay Country Park. It showed down to 5m at times. Unbelievable!!
Wow! Not worth posting my crappy Pacific Diver pics after that! :-O

The 7 Shore Larks still on the beach at the burn mouth, also some Twite around there. Also a few Scaup on East Chev, and a Willow Tit in the bushes on the way in.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 29
Wow! Not worth posting my crappy Pacific Diver pics after that! :-O

The 7 Shore Larks still on the beach at the burn mouth, also some Twite around there. Also a few Scaup on East Chev, and a Willow Tit in the bushes on the way in.

Yeah I got the Shore Larks and Twite this afternoon, but the light had gone by then. I'm still trying to salvage something from my Twite shots.

I also had good, close views of the Pacific Diver. Looking at the various ID comments on the web, it seems as though the lack of white on the rear of the flanks, the size and the smaller pale patch below the eye are diagnostic. As for the vent stripe, which I did not see, there is a photo of a Black Throated at http://bretteeblahblahblah.blogspot.co.uk/2014_01_01_archive.html which shows a strip above the vent. The Druridge bird showed a steeper forehead than on many web shots of Pacific. However, it looked smaller than a BT. I suppose we now await formal 'approval' of the sighting from the experts.

I also had good, close views of the Pacific Diver. Looking at the various ID comments on the web, it seems as though the lack of white on the rear of the flanks, the size and the smaller pale patch below the eye are diagnostic. As for the vent stripe, which I did not see, there is a photo of a Black Throated at http://bretteeblahblahblah.blogspot.co.uk/2014_01_01_archive.html which shows a strip above the vent. The Druridge bird showed a steeper forehead than on many web shots of Pacific. However, it looked smaller than a BT. I suppose we now await formal 'approval' of the sighting from the experts.

Tom Tams has a smashing flight shot that shows both the chin strap and the ventral strap. I got a couple of shots this morning that showed the ventral strap when it was preening and a couple more that show the chin strap, but it's faint.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back