• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

They were there early afternoon feeding on the white rowan tree berries (at least thats what i was told it was) at the back of the church. Counted about 55 of them and got lovely views of them in the good light that we had today.

I got them on Wed 31st between 12 and 12.15 in the big ash tree between the houses and the primary school. Now I hope they stay around till David gets here at the weekend and we get a chance to get there and see them.

had a look at the pond next to The Village Hotel in Shiremoor this afternoon...plenty of canada geese,mallard,coots...family of mute sawns plus a single gadwall and shoveller drakes

Waxwings

Two visits in the space of one hour this afternoon at Longbenton and I got lucky the second time (having dipped on them yesterday). Having just arrived at the cemetary for the second time, I counted 56 settling in a tall tree at the junction of Station Road/Ashleigh Grove. They then flew into a tree by the church briefly before flying off to the west having been harassed by a Mistle Thrush - this was around 13.45. Then what happens? - I only have another flock of 30 Waxwings briefly at Havannah NR at 14.23!!! These flew off towards the north without really settling.

Happy birding!
Keith

2009, so far.

Well down to patch yesterday to kick off the year list, 42 species on the first day, not bad as St marys was really busy with visitors. Thanks to Keith Bradley caught up with Water rail early, cheers Keith.

Back today and added another 3 species, including the Adult Med chip hawk in the Brier dene carpark, also met up with Birdforum members June Atkinson and Degsy, and had a bit of crack with both. Cheers guys for taking the time to have a chinwag.

All the best guys, take care.:t:

Waxwings et al

9 left at St Bart's this morning just before 10.00 am so it looks as if the flock is dispersing and moving on. A few Redwings around at the Rising Sun.

Sadly the hide at Holywell has been vandalised yet again - for the second time since Christmas. A key has been been broken off in the lock so the hide is currently insecure with a lath forcibly removed from the door. That aside, good views of the Water Rail and a solitary Brambling were the highlights of today's visit.

Last edited:
9 left at St Bart's this morning just before 10.00 am so it looks as if the flock is dispersing and moving on. A few Redwings around at the Rising Sun.

Sadly the hide at Holywell has been vandalised yet again - for the second time since Christmas. A key has been been broken off in the lock so the hide is currently insecure with a lath forcibly removed from the door. That aside, good views of the Water Rail and a solitary Brambling were the highlights of today's visit.

80 Waxwings at St Bartholomews at 11.00 John. Still managing to feed in the sun, despite the constant attention of an annoyed Mistle Thrush.

I went on to walk through Heaton Park, Armstrong Park and Jesmond Dene. Greeted at the enterance by a flock of L T Tits and then Great Spotted Woodpecker. A wonderful day for a walk, but little else around birdwise until I had good views of Kingfisher as I approached South Gosforth.

Sorry to hear about the hide damage again. It had just been repaired on my last visit.

Last edited:
Gary, could you recommend a good time of evening to see the owl? Thanks.

Hi Graham

It was eight o'clock last night. I'll keep an eye out for it tonight, to see if this is a regular hunting spot. Last winter there were regularly three Barn Owls hunting from the perimitere fence and the grass next to the road into the freight village.

Hi Graham

It was eight o'clock last night. I'll keep an eye out for it tonight, to see if this is a regular hunting spot. Last winter there were regularly three Barn Owls hunting from the perimitere fence and the grass next to the road into the freight village.

Thanks very much Gary. I remember you posting about them last winter but never got round to going to have a look myself. I'm determined to make the effort this time, especially as it's a short drive for me.

I have got back from my trip to bamborough and got some fairly good birds (eg my winter slavy at stag rocks)

I will post my lists when i sort them out.

Prestwick Carr this afternoon,two Redpoll feeding on insects on whats left of the hogweed close to the Goat sheds and near the path

Waxwings duly ticked this morning at Forest Hall - 40 of them. Thanks to all who helped. David is a happy bunny as we also got a marsh/willow tit at Thornley Wood Feeding station. Will post a poor photo when I get home but any ideas as to which is more likely?Super day up the coast on Fri, Wylam on Thurs and Holy Island on Sat. A trip report will appear in good time.

Goat shed Prestwick Carr

Prestwick Carr this afternoon,two Redpoll feeding on insects on whats left of the hogweed close to the Goat sheds and near the path

Where exactly is the Goat Shed? Never seen Redpolls, so would go as soon as you're able to give us some directions, please?

Barn Owl at Airport

Following on from Vipers post..there is currently one Barn Owl feeding at dusk daily.It lives just north of the new control tower and can be observed in and out of nest.Viper is right to note there were 3 last year..fingers crossed!!
Latest news from the tower is a resident sparrowhawk on the structure!
This weeks highlight being a Kestrel and Peregrine having a five minute territory fight around the tower!

My personal highlight being a Goldcrest on my terrace Saturday..i have no garden just lots of pots ! First in four years.

At 9 million quid..is this the most expensive bird hide in existence?? !!

Where exactly is the Goat Shed? Never seen Redpolls, so would go as soon as you're able to give us some directions, please?
June, the goat shed is about 100 yards on the right when you turn right at the crossroads (where the big house is). There's room for a couple of cars to park very near. It sounds as if you know where Prestwick Carr itself is. Get back if you don't and I'll give you directions (as I'm sure others would too if necessary).

Following on from Vipers post..there is currently one Barn Owl feeding at dusk daily.It lives just north of the new control tower and can be observed in and out of nest.Viper is right to note there were 3 last year..fingers crossed!!
Latest news from the tower is a resident sparrowhawk on the structure!
This weeks highlight being a Kestrel and Peregrine having a five minute territory fight around the tower!

My personal highlight being a Goldcrest on my terrace Saturday..i have no garden just lots of pots ! First in four years.

At 9 million quid..is this the most expensive bird hide in existence?? !!

Hi DXB. I've got to make do with watching the Owls from an upstairs window at work, your upstairs window is a little bit higher than mine, with a far better view. Is the Owl nesting in a box or a hole in a tree?

I've seen Peregrines hunting over the Prestwick to Dinnington road a couple of times and I think the tower is a perfect hunting perch for them.

Aren't Goldcrests a superb little bird to have in your garden/terrace. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back