• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (3 Viewers)

Cant say i have seen the Hawk yet but did see a Stag on east side of lake in the trees under the Owl House had to rub my eyes a few times to be sure.

I understand that we still have a Harris's Hawk loose in the park Davy. It seems to be surviving very well on a good supply of rabbits.

I saw a Harris Hawk flying across a field next to the big roundabout at Seaton Burn in December - not a million miles away from Swallow pond. Looks like it's a magnet for stray wildlife. I saw the stag there last year and did a massive double take. What next - beaver probably!

I saw a Harris Hawk near Hexham last April, flying with a Red Kite and a Buzzard. I also saw one at Backworth pond three or four years ago, So there must be a few of them escape.

I understand that we still have a Harris's Hawk loose in the park Davy. It seems to be surviving very well on a good supply of rabbits.

Yikes! A friend says that his cousin let one of those lose about a year ago for a few days, only trouble being, that every time he went back to get it he had no joy.

2 Whooper Swans at Caistron in a quick visit , around 50 Goldeneye +Buzzards, Peregrine also seen .

Attachments

• goldeneeydtr 006.jpg
    goldeneeydtr 006.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 60
  • goldeneeydtr 003.jpg
    goldeneeydtr 003.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 57
Getting Out More

Half a dozen Pintail at the north end of Cresswell this afternoon inc a crackin' drake. Several hundred Common Scoter off the beach and a Barn Owl to the south and east of the hide. Great to be getting back to the birds!

Airport Barn Owl

For those who have been searching for or following the Barn Owl thread...sorry to say aircraft and birds(as we know!) don't mix.

The full intact remains of a Barn Owl were picked up from the runway on Wednesday after a collision with a Saab 2000 aircraft.
Hopefully there are more of these around the airfield(Barn Owls not Saab 2000's)..will keep you posted.

For those who have been searching for or following the Barn Owl thread...sorry to say aircraft and birds(as we know!) don't mix.

The full intact remains of a Barn Owl were picked up from the runway on Wednesday after a collision with a Saab 2000 aircraft.
Hopefully there are more of these around the airfield(Barn Owls not Saab 2000's)..will keep you posted.

Thanks for the update Mike! I didn't see any Barn Owls at all on my night shifts last week, that could explain why.

Have you been up to Newbiggin for the Med Gulls yet?

Half a dozen Pintail at the north end of Cresswell this afternoon inc a crackin' drake. Several hundred Common Scoter off the beach and a Barn Owl to the south and east of the hide. Great to be getting back to the birds!
Nice to see you back Gordon:t:
I was at Cresswell myself this late pm, Dipped on the Pintails and the Barnie, but did have 3 Scaup 1 male and 2 female , 2 pairs of R.B.Mergs. 100+ Golden Plover over which never settled whilst i was here, a few Goldeneye and all the common ducks....and the few thousand Pinkies that where split between 3 main flocks, one to the south of the pond and the other 2 just north of Bells farm...20+ Twite on the dunes.
7 Whoopers to the west of QE2Park.

Last edited:
Waxwing

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone - a single Waxwing flew NW over the Newcastle General Hospital at 08:30 this morning.

Cheers,

Steve

13 Waxwing feeding in berry bushes in village at 10.30hrs a new house tick (South Tyne, Haltwhistle area) unable to relocate later.

PM, Watched 2 displaying Red Kites on West Allen, very windy with heavy snow showers at time, didn't seem to put them off!

Plenmeller Moor, late afternoon Red Grouse very visible and many displaying or seem already paired up.

Stewart

First trip off patch, started at the QE2 country park. 10 Redpoll showed well, and the usual greeting committee, of swans and geese as i arrived.

Linton pond was quite, no unusual gulls or geese, jay in the woods.

Bells farm, 60+ twite were active, and 5 pied wagtail but nowt else showing.

Cresswell pond, far too full and not much on show. scaup was the highlight + usual wildfowl in small quantities.

Cresswell village, brief view of Nordic Jackdaw at the turning circle by the cafe.

Quite day with few surprises.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back