• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Finally any thoughts on forehead length and angle (short and vertical vs. long and sloped - though obviously posture variable), and size & shape of nares (nostrils)?

Wryneck still showing VERY well at 3pm when I left it!

At Hadston, turn right towards boat yard and it's right behind there :t: Such a beautiful calm bird completely igfnoring a group of us, around 8-10, watching it and taking pics. There's all the guys with their 3ft lenses and me with my basic digital snapper :-O Not the best pic but you can tell what it is ;)

005_zps067b5b3b.jpg

ID please

Photographed this bird on my walk from Amble to Hauxley along the coastal path. At the risk of appearing thick, is this just a lovely clean Whitethroat?

Cheers, Mick Gibson, ( waxyplumer )

Attachments

• 2014_09_03_IMG_9999_1350.JPG
    2014_09_03_IMG_9999_1350.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 2014_09_03_IMG_9999_1348.JPG
    2014_09_03_IMG_9999_1348.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 2014_09_03_IMG_9999_1340.jpg
    2014_09_03_IMG_9999_1340.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 86
Had a two-family outing to Linhope Spout on Sunday, and with 5 girls aged under 7 in the group, any hope of any decent bird sightings were rather diminished! Nevertheless, a few things of note. The first was a large flock (50-60) of chaffinch in Linhope village flitting among the pines and down to the stream to drink, followed by a decent flock of 30-40 goldfinch on the walk over the moorland. Lots of meadow pipit still around too in the bushes and ferns, while a buzzard soared along the valley below us. Managed brief sightings of a dipper on the rocks below the waterfall before our crowd descended, at which point it flew up over the waterfall and out of sight upstream. As we ate our lunch, a couple of pied wagtails rested briefly on the river bank downstream and a wren fed in the moss right by the waterfall for much of our time there. But the highlight came on the return to the car above the crag on Ritto Hill(?), where three magnificent ravens soared and tumbled, filling the air with their wonderful croaking! Finally, heading out of Linhope Village, there were a small group of red-legged partridge, which disappeared up a track into the woods to the north, and the largest count of pheasant I think I've ever seen (200+) in the fields to the south, making me wonder if they are "farming" pheasant now..?!

One peculiar observation: the ravens seemed to be dropping objects, possibly stones. They appeared to be passing these objects, but shortly afterwards, a buzzard appeared so I am wondering if this was some kind of defence... anyone any ideas?

Last edited:
rather suprised to find a Jay in centre of ashington this morning.

was in poplars beside railway line, and feeding in the grass on the demolished hospital site. i guess its come down the line from the community wood...

Cheers - will look into that as its a designated site. Has been problems with the railway in the past as it contnues to subside.

Can't see anything obvious at either site - any more details?? Large roost of lesser black-backs made trip worth while!!

Can't see anything obvious at either site ...

take the path north over the railway line heading to the woodhorn gy. lookd for the white cement sewer pipes.

unless they have sunk them already...

Nice to see a kingfisher and a grey wagtail on the River Wansbeck by the blue footbridge east of Morpeth town centre, early yesterday morning. First kingfisher I've seen in Morpeth for about 3 years, I reckon.

My first whooper swans of the year were something of a surprise - flying low over houses in the centre of Bedlington. Would have been a garden flyover tick if I'd been in my garden :)

Would have been a garden flyover tick if I'd been in my garden :)

haha! I know that feeling. Had a Jay fly over my car as I drove down our street last week, coming from the direction of my house, but it was out of sight by the time I pulled onto my drive!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back