• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nyack Harness Review (and Kowa Genesis 8.5x44 impressions) (1 Viewer)

Jeff51

Supporter
United States
When I got my gnu, bigger, Kowa Genesis 8.5x44 binoculars, I decided to also replace the harnesses I’d been using with my (somewhat) lighter 8x32 Nikon premiers for the last 20 years.

Replace and upgrade – the made in Montana Nyack harness is the best I’ve ever used. The straps at 1.5 inches are 50% wider than other harnesses and the fabric is heavier, and that really helps distribute the weight comfortably across the body and shoulders and off the neck completely. The hardware is metal so I will never break another plastic attachment clip. The leather piece at the back is much more substantial than the small thin leather pieces I’ve had on other harnesses; they really anchor the straps in place when I’m climbing steep paths. The Kowas as I knew from reviews before I bought them are relatively heavy. With the Nyack harness, unlike the harnesses I’d used before the Nyack arrived, I simply don’t feel those extra ounces when I’m up and down the hills of Rock Creek Park on my three hour walks.

With 20 years of harness experience, I feel relatively confident in writing a harness review. The Nyack harness makes carrying the Kowas comfortable for me.

I'm less confident in writing a binocular review, because aside from the Nikon premiers,I haven't spent time with any other binoculars (until the Kowas).

So personal impressions only. The Kowa Genesis 8.5x44’s are a joy to use. The detail I get of birds, colors and feather patterns, of butterfly wing markings, simply delights, even in low light under the Rock Creek Park canopy. I like them so much I bought a second pair for my family.

I’m also confident of my basis to evaluate customer service, and Kowa USA customer service has been responsive and friendly. Zero problems with the binoculars, but right off I wanted replacement lens covers and eyepieces for the Genesis, and with the Nikons my experience was, when I needed those replacement parts, they weren’t available. So Kowa USA has helped me lay in a supply of small parts that will hopefully get the now two pair of Kowa Genesis through the next 20 years of regular use.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back