• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October moths 2007 (1 Viewer)

Is it Udea ferrugalis?

It is indeed, Ken.

Thanks very much for that. I'd overlooked it as I rambled through Goater, but anyway, the pictures on ukmoths are very clear.

A new sp. from me and the flat (not the balcony this time, as I caught it off the kitchen window!!).

Best

David

About 9 deg last night with a moderate easterly wind. Only twelve moths, five species. I think these two are Lunar Underwings ? but I've not seen this colour before, very pretty.

Nerine

Attachments

• moths 23 Oct 017.jpg
    moths 23 Oct 017.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 23 Oct..jpg
    23 Oct..jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 76
Both look like loonies to me, Nerine. You can always check the underwing - though I have to say that I don't find it too easy with some individuals.
As it's cloudy tonight, I've put my trap on but there's quite a chilly E. wind so I'm not expecting much. But as one or two people have been finding death's head hawks and other exotics, it's worth taking the chance, I guess.
Ken

Haven't trapped for a few weeks. Folk down here have been getting ones and twos in their trap and complaining about the waste of electricity and the carbon footprint of 1 rusty dot pearl.

Ran the trap last night and found 10 species amongst the eggboxes.

Not too sure about these two tho'. Any help much appreciated. Ta!

Attachments

• Moth1.jpg
    Moth1.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Moth2.jpg
    Moth2.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Hi, Basher,
Did you take those photos with flash? They look rather burnt out to me, which makes them a touch harder to ID. I'm pretty sure that one is the brick. Not so sure about the other one... could it be a deep-brown dart?
Ken

Thanks for your replies fellas. Yep..that's a Brick alright. Never had one of those in the trap before.

The other moth was photographed with my new ring light attachment for my Coolpix which I scored off ebay the other week. It is Small Clouded Brindle size..and certainly looks like the pic in the book; but isn't it a bit late for that species?

Thanks for your replies fellas. Yep..that's a Brick alright. Never had one of those in the trap before.

The other moth was photographed with my new ring light attachment for my Coolpix which I scored off ebay the other week. It is Small Clouded Brindle size..and certainly looks like the pic in the book; but isn't it a bit late for that species?

It certainly is late, but every year throws up odd 2nd broods.
I had a Hebrew Character last week and someone else in Ireland had a Common Quaker.

All my photos are done with ring light.
If possible I use a roll of tape (wide) to surround the moth and rest the ring light on it. I to the white balance first as the LEDS cast a blue light. I usually change the exposure to -0.3 or -0.7 (sometimes as much as -1.7 with dark moths) as I find the zero setting is often washed out.

Thanks for the tips Angus. I did notice something in the instructions about adjusting the white balance. But you know what it's like when you get a new toy...so I just screwed it on and started snapping. Will sit down and read the instructions properly over the weekend!

didn't take long to go through my catch last night:
mottled umber (first since Jan)
common m carpet
red-green carpet
green-brindled cres.
Ken

didn't take long to go through my catch last night:
mottled umber (first since Jan)
common m carpet
red-green carpet
green-brindled cres.
Ken

Took me even less time, Ken...big fat zero!! Day of rain and misery here!! And 2 of yours would have been ticks for me....!!!

I did get one Silver-Y last night.......!!

Hope Basher's ref. to Rusty Dot Pearl wasn't connected to your recent ID for me.....even though he is in Sussex!!

Best

David

one or two people have been finding death's head hawks and other exotics,

No exotics in my garden! Numbers are falling now, 9 from last night which was dark, drizzly and around 10 degrees.

Common Marbled Carpet
Feathered Ran (2)
Flame Brocade (3)
Mallow
Lesser Yellow Underwing (No Large!!!)
L-Album Wainscot (slightly smaller than the one in W & T and it was sitting in a "tent" position at first which threw me for a while but after it settled again in the normal way there was no doubt about the id).

Nerine

I'm working at home today so finally got enough light to photograph Wed's catch (although only at low shutter-speed - it's very grey and gloomy).

Attachments

• green-brindled crescent.JPG
    green-brindled crescent.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 68
  • mottled umber.jpg
    mottled umber.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 65
Two more moths last night... rusty d. pearl and what I assume is a female feathered thorn.
Ken

Attachments

• Udea ferrugalis.jpg
    Udea ferrugalis.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 57
  • female.jpg
    female.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 65
The weather has settled again and I ran the trap last night. A dozen moths and 5 species.

Feathered Ranunculus (6)
Flame Brocade (2)
Mallow
L Album Wainscot (2)
Double-striped pug (lovely clear markings)

Last night a Common Marbled Carpet was sitting on the vanes of the trap but wasn't to be seen this morning. I wonder what else got away?

Nerine
(Gorgeously sunny and warm today.)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back