• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oddball resident blackbird. (1 Viewer)

Nannyannie

United Kingdom
I have a blackbird which visits the garden daily. When I first saw her (presuming it's a she or maybe a young male) I thought she had been attacked as the feathers are very scruffy. Not losing feathers, far from it, it seems to have too many feathers on its body, all fluffed out like an exploded shuttlecock. Initially I thought it had not fledged properly and was in the process of developing adult feathers but there has been no change for weeks. It is very happy, eating and drinking well, mixing with other birds and generally getting on with life. Has anyone any idea if the feathers will sort themselves out eventually, I've never seen anything like it before.

Hi again @Nannyannie . I've moved your post to the Garden Birds forum, where more people are likely to see it who can advise on this.

I'm wondering if it's a very tired adult after raising a brood... she'd soon be moulting and the feathers should then return to normal. However, I'm just guessing really.

Is it possible for you to get a picture do you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back