• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oenanthe chaboti Menegaux & Berlioz, 1923 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Oenanthe chaboti Menegaux & Berlioz , 1923 in Jacques de Rohan-Chabot: Mission Rohan-Chabot Angola et Rhodesia (1912–1914) (= Oiseaux). Imprimerie nationale, Paris 1923. fasc . 1 , p . 139 (Not seen)

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Congo Moorchat ssp. Myrmecocichla tholloni chaboti Menegaux & Berlioz, 1923 NCR; NRM
Comte Jacques de Rohan-Chabot (1889–1958) was a French explorer who led the Rohan-Chabot Expedition to Angola and Rhodesia (Zimbabwe/Zambia) (1912–1914). A reptile is named after him.

The Key to Scientific Names
Jacques de Rohan-Chabot Comte de Jarnac (1889-1958) French leader of Mission Rohan-Chabot to Angola and Rhodesia 1912-1914 (syn. Myrmecocichla tholloni).

If here correct Jacques Fernand de Rohan-Chabot, comte de Jarnac 5 March 1889 Paris - 9 December 1958 in Paris

But I did not check yet archive en ligne.

Oenanthe chaboti Menegaux & Berlioz , 1923 in Jacques de Rohan-Chabot: Mission Rohan-Chabot Angola et Rhodesia (1912–1914) (= Oiseaux). Imprimerie nationale, Paris 1923. fasc . 1 , p . 139 (Not seen)

Angola et Rhodésia (1912-1914): Histoire naturelle. fasc. 1. Mammifères (anatomie comparée - embryologie) oïseaux - reptiles - posssons. fasc. 2. Insectes (lépidoptères) fasc. 3. Insectes (coléoptères et hyménoptères) arachnides - mollusques - fougères. fasc. 4. Insctes (coléoptères et orthoptères)

(Can be viewed or downloaded from the US. The intent is quite clear from context, but there is no explicit dedication.)

(... The intent is quite clear from context, ...)
Even more so by the alternate Title of the same, multi-parted Work (all in line with Martin's post #1): Mission Rohan-Chabot (sous les auspices du Ministère de l'Instruction publique et de la société de Géographie.) dans la Angola et Rhodesia (1912-1914). Tome IV: Histoire Naturelle. Fascicule 1: Mammieres (Anatomie Comparée – Embryologie), Oiseaux, Reptiles, Poissons. ... and onwards (1923).

Also note that this this Work (even if when dealing with the Lizards included), as well has been quoted (in February this year) as [my blue/red/bolds]:
Angel, F. (1923) Reptiles. In: Rohan-Chabot, J.F. (Ed.) [Éditeur scientifique], Mission Rohan-Chabot, Angola et Rhodesia (1912–1914). Tome IV. Histoire Naturelle. Fascicule 1 Mammifères (Anatomie Comparée—Embryologie), Oiseaux—Reptiles—Poissons. Imprimerie Nationale, Paris, pp. 157–170, 1 pl.

[here, see the List of References]

Or see the WorldCat entry (here):
Angola et Rhodésia (1912-1914) ; Mission Rohan-Chabot sous les auspices du Ministère de l'instruction publique et de la Société de géographie

Authors:
Mission Rohan-Chabot, 1912-1914, Jacques de Rohan-Chabot

Thus, no doubt, it sure looks like it's "his" (Congo) Moor Chat. ;)

/B

Last edited:
This is the title page :
1663756983249.png

FWIW, although I guess Rohan-Chabot may conceivably have acted as an editor, I can find no evidence for this in the book.
His name appears in the title as above, i.e.: "Mission Rohan-Chabot", which is also repeated in the header of all even pages. In the text, he only appears as "M. de Rohan-Chabot", without any given name (or even initial) being cited.
Each chapter of the book has its own authorship cited below the title on the first page, e.g.: "Oiseaux, | par MM. A. Ménégaux et J. Berlioz." -- the latter occupying pp. 107-155 and being illustrated by 4 plates printed on unpaginated pages.
"Oenanthe Chaboti Menegx et J. Berl." (= Plate IV) :

1663756228948.png

Note that his surname was unhyphenated in the Birth record, as well as on the Tourist Visa (in Paul's post #2), and in/on his own signature! Contrary to the Death Record:

Birth record.jpg

Tourist Visa.jpg

Signature.jpg

Death record.jpg

(Even if, of course, the name of the Mission/Expedition itself clearly was hyphenated.)

Thereby, this far, in my notes I'll keep him as: Jacques de Rohan Chabot (18891958), whose full name (and Noble title) was Jacques Fernand de Rohan Chabot, Comte [Count] de Jarnac, leader of the Mission Rohan-Chabot ... etc., etc.

Also consider (even if no true value, of course) that the scientific name was/is in fact just chaboti, not (de)rohanchaboti.

However, doesn't the underlining (on the Tourist Visa), indicate that Chabot [only and solely] was his (sur)name for everyday use?

Just some observations.

/B

Last edited:
BnF (Bibliothèque nationale de France) has him as: "Jacques de Rohan-Chabot (1889-1958) ... Comte. - Explorateur. - Directeur général de la Croix-Rouge" (here) :unsure:

And, another Photo of him (in Field) = here

Either way, with or without hyphen, it's him all right. ;)

/B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back