• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which MM4 eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

Because it is a 50mm scope? Or because an MM4 ED50 would be better?

I was obviously be flippant (hope nobody is offended), but because the SDLv3 is the top of the range eyepiece and the MM3 is the bottom of the range scope.

Nothing wrong with a 50mm scope, but it makes no sense (to me) to have that eyepiece on any MM3. I found very little difference on my MM4 60mm between it and the HDF-T zoom. The only good reason for the SDLv3 (IMO) is if you really need guaranteed waterproofing.

Last edited:
I was obviously be flippant (hope nobody is offended), but because the SDLv3 is the top of the range eyepiece and the MM3 is the bottom of the range scope.

Nothing wrong with a 50mm scope, but it makes no sense (to me) to have that eyepiece on any MM3. I found very little difference on my MM4 60mm between it and the HDF-T zoom. The only good reason for the SDLv3 (IMO) is if you really need guaranteed waterproofing.
No probs with flippancy! My scope is the MM3 ED50 angled, not the non-ED 50 which is the current bottom-of-range MM3. I am told that the MM3 ED and MM4 ED are essentially identical optically and mechanically - the only difference is the MM4 has newer lens coatings which give a tadge more contrast, but no better resolution. That said - I am prepared to upgrade the MM3 ED50 body to an MM4 ED50 body, if need be, later on.

As regards image quality difference between HDF-T and SDL v2/v3 eyepieces. Looking at all the forum posts, it seems to me that there are just as many people who think the SDL v2/3 gives a superior image as there are people like you, who think they are much the same. I have seen figures which suggest the SDL eyepieces give slightly wider FoV, if nothing else. Opticron themselves state that the SDL eyepieces give slightly better resolution/contrast - although this may be only a very slight difference! I read that the SDL eyepieces include a field flattener, giving sharper image to the edge than the HDF-T.

The SDLv3 is slightly smaller and less weight than the SDLv2.

Finally, I want the waterproofing of the SDL eyepiece, as I use my MM3 without a case - I have a stay-on-case, but don't tend to use it (I'm not keen on them). So, I consider it worthwhile changing from HDF-T to SDLv3 for the waterproofing alone, in any case. And if, on top of that, I can discern even a slight IQ improvement, then better still.

I am also considering buying an Opticron MM4 ED60 straight scope, as an additional scope to my angled ED50. This is to replace my Nikon Fieldscope EDII 60 straight scope - for use in hides, where I find straight scopes preferable. If I do get the MM4 ED60, I will be able to "share" my SDLv3 eyepiece between the two Opticron scopes, this getting better vfm from it!

That's my logic!

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Got my SDLv3 and compared it with the HDFT on my MM3 ED50 today.

To me, the SDLv3 is slightly better optically - not night and day, but noticeable in a direct comparison. SDLv3 has bigger FoV at high end of mag range in particular, has better eye relief and is slightly sharper when viewed at max mag. On top of that, I get the full waterproofing which the HDFT lacks.

So overall, a worthwhile upgrade to me. I will probably sell on the HDFT zoom. I may yet upgrade the ED50 body from MM3 to MM4 if I can pick up an MM4 second hand at a good price.

But yes, the Opticron MM3/MM4 scopes are very good. I sold by Nikon ED50 after getting the Opticron MM3 ED50.....

I’m considering getting a 50/55mm scope. I already have a Leica APO 62 and Kowa 883.

Opticron recently had a field event at my local nature reserve so I went along to compare my Leica 16-48x and Opticron MM4 50 SDL3 12-36x.

I set the Leica to about 36x to make it a fair comparison. I couldn’t really see any noticeable difference in resolution. I then phonescoped through both. It was only when I heavily cropped the images could I see the Leica was better.

Final update from me. I recently upgraded my MM3 ED50 body to an MM4 ED50 body. This is for use with my SDLv3 eyepiece. (I sold on my MM3 ED50 with HDFT eyepiece on Ebay).

When I contacted Opticron they claimed the MM4 is slightly brighter and sharper than the MM3 (ED version), but it isn't really noticeable to me (with the same eyepiece). However, I'd say the MM4 gives a very slight increase in colour saturation/contrast.

I now have a fully waterproof setup and the best Opticron optics I'm going to get for now in 50mm compact format. I will just enjoy using it now!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back