• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old photos 3 - Virginia (1 Viewer)

UKBirder23

Okay, while I'm at it, here are a few more from a long time ago. You all have been so helpful thus far, so I thought I'd just confirm these old sightings. All photos taken in Virginia, except final shot which is from Delaware. My thoughts are:
1. Spotted Sandpiper
2. Solitary Sandpiper
3. Wood Thrush
4. Yes, it's a Dark-eyed Junco, but could it be a subspecies?
5. Purple Finches
6/7. Eastern Wood Peewee?
8. And just for fun... any idea what on earth this bird could be?

Thank you all, I think I've exhausted these old photos now, but I can't promise that!

Attachments

• P1010976.JPG
    P1010976.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 62
  • P1010977.JPG
    P1010977.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 49
  • P1010978.JPG
    P1010978.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 46
  • P1010979.JPG
    P1010979.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 38
  • P1010980.JPG
    P1010980.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 38
  • P1010981.JPG
    P1010981.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 35
  • P1010983.JPG
    P1010983.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 56
  • P1010975.JPG
    P1010975.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 55
#2 looks like a Greater Yellowlegs. First clue is the bill which looks longish and quite thick at the base. Also tertial pattern showing stripes.

3. Not a Wood Thrush for sure but tough to be certain beyond that. Has the more compact "giss" of a Hermit Thrush but hard to make out field marks
4. wouldn't want to call the subspecies definitively from this photo alone but I can't see anything to discount the expected "Slate-colored" subspecies
6-7. I would lean towards Eastern Wood-pewee yes, due to the long primary projection

3. Not a Wood Thrush for sure but tough to be certain beyond that. Has the more compact "giss" of a Hermit Thrush but hard to make out field marks
4. wouldn't want to call the subspecies definitively from this photo alone but I can't see anything to discount the expected "Slate-colored" subspecies
6-7. I would lean towards Eastern Wood-pewee yes, due to the long primary projection
Thank you, I think you are quite right with Hermit Thrush - I do have a record of having seen one years ago, so that photo is probably it.

#2 looks like a Greater Yellowlegs. First clue is the bill which looks longish and quite thick at the base. Also tertial pattern showing stripes.
Thanks, I don't think it was a Greater Yellowlegs though - the legs were too dull in colour, and the bird was too small, if I recall correctly.

#8 is a Leica.

Oh, the bird? My first thought is that it seems to have stout/thickly feathered thighs and a broad tail, which makes me think of a hawk. But on closer inspection, I was fooled by a green leaf in the foreground interrupting the silhouette. Could really be anything - canada goose preening itself, a robin... some possibilities can be eliminated if you remember where it was taken. Was the bird on the ground or in a treetop? Wet habitat or dry?

#8 is a Leica.

Oh, the bird? My first thought is that it seems to have stout/thickly feathered thighs and a broad tail, which makes me think of a hawk. But on closer inspection, I was fooled by a green leaf in the foreground interrupting the silhouette. Could really be anything - canada goose preening itself, a robin... some possibilities can be eliminated if you remember where it was taken. Was the bird on the ground or in a treetop? Wet habitat or dry?
The photo, if I recall correctly, was taken in a field in Delaware, in winter, right by the coast.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back