• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olive bird with odd face in Trinidad (1 Viewer)

isaac_a

United States
As the title says, this bird was spotted yesterday in Trinidad - in elevation on the northern side. It doesn't seem to match any bird in my Trinidad bird pack. As you can see, this is a roughly tanager-sized olive bird with an odd set of orange feathers (?) around its face.

As the title says, this bird was spotted yesterday in Trinidad - in elevation on the northern side. It doesn't seem to match any bird in my Trinidad bird pack. As you can see, this is a roughly tanager-sized olive bird with an odd set of orange feathers (?) around its face.

Odd one. I wonder if it could be a very young Tityra?
Niels

Hi survivalistd and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Sorry I can't be of any help at all with trying to identify your bird.

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I agree that the body (and beak) are good for palm tanager. The wing pattern - olive with darker primaries - works too. The overall color looks darker overall but not super far off.

If that were the bird, what could be happening on the face? The fact that it looks so symmetrical (and, well, "natural") makes me think it's not just some odd one-off growth

I don't feel it's safe to be sure of anything with this single photo given that it's so fuzzy (no offence) and the bird is so obscured. The 'wing-pattern' could be shadow, the face stuff could be vegetation, the quality is just too low to be sure of bill-shape. It's one that got away.

It's a palm tanager. The wing pattern is clear - there is some shadow at play, but only at the tip of the primaries and secondaries. Otherwise, the pale olive greater coverts contrast with the dark, blackish flight feathers and, to lesser extent, the darker olive scapulars. The primary coverts are also dark, contrasting with the greater coverts, olive alula, and the slightly paler bases to the primaries. All features found on palm tanager. It apparently tanager-sized, with a bill structure also matching palm tanager. Aside from whatever is going on around its head/bill, it's a clear cut palm tanager.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back