• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On The Hoof - Fieldwork From Orkney (1 Viewer)

Crikey! The sketchings are amazing. Especially the Swallows. I really adore those. But then they are one of my favourite birds.
Powerful and inspiring stuff...as usual!

so free, so beautiful, so mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Hope you got out today whatever the weather - you have to suffer for your art and I don't mean poking yourself in the eye with a paintbrush!

so free, so beautiful, so mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Hope you got out today whatever the weather - you have to suffer for your art and I don't mean poking yourself in the eye with a paintbrush!
Well I did get out but there was miserably little to see - any arctic skuas I happened upon cleared off immediately, but I did wach a family of young harriers for a few seconds. So . . . I'm revisiting some drawings from a couple of years ago and looking to develop a monochrome from these. Here's the first stab;

Attachments

• DSCN6204.JPG
    DSCN6204.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 106
Delicious!

Yep. This is a very exciting work. It's interesting comparing it to the piece for which you're asking 'learned advice.' This one is a much more surprising work I think. If I could think of a way to have that one exciting, without the addition of the rhinoceros, I'd suggest it. I keep drawing a blank as to what to do. But no blank here - I really like it.

Truly excellent piece, Tim! The movement comes across so well here, all the more amazing because of the monochrome treatment.

oooh! so glad I finally found this thread after a little absence! This stonechat just made me physically shake with admiration!

Yours if you wish, Andrew.

I've started going through some recent pieces of fieldwork and taking them on to the next step - here's a reworking of the arctic skua study from upthread.
Against The Light" - watercolour, 22"x15"

Attachments

• skusmall.JPG
    skusmall.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 104
Yours if you wish, Andrew.

I've started going through some recent pieces of fieldwork and taking them on to the next step - here's a reworking of the arctic skua study from upthread.
Against The Light" - watercolour, 22"x15"

dazzling skua old bean- and I've just been for a re-run of the RT Diver drawings just upthread in their changing lights

it's such a pleasure

It's the way you capture light that I find great delight in Tim. In the depths of Winter, a glance at this wonder would surely hearten a dispirited soul.
And the way you have become an ambassador for the Arctic Skua. Your great portrayals of these birds always show tremendous affection. It's great PR for a bird I've mostly seen wreaking extreme havoc!;) Through your many great renderings of them I have become seriously endeared to them.
Actually, now, I'm itching to see one again! This, as usual, is life-affirming work!

Wonderful work, Tim! Agree with Phil on your tremendous grasp of portraying light. And also with the reputation of the skua. Having not seen one in life, my image of them is swooping in on a doomed baby penguin, with the parents helpless to do much about it. But as my ornithology professor said, if it weren't for skuas, we'd have a penguin overpopulation problem. ;)

Wonderful work, Tim! Agree with Phil on your tremendous grasp of portraying light. And also with the reputation of the skua. Having not seen one in life, my image of them is swooping in on a doomed baby penguin, with the parents helpless to do much about it. But as my ornithology professor said, if it weren't for skuas, we'd have a penguin overpopulation problem. ;)

them catharacta skuas

monster

by coincidence, I saw what I believe to the only Great Skua painting in the City of London this afternoon: dropped into the Guildhall Art Museum in gap between meetings and there is Hook's Bonxie

http://www.bridgemanart.com/image/H...xie-Shetland/6d9fa57a66434f68b5b3b7aae8c4df75

This is pure sun-soaked mastery - I love it! Just treated myself to Juan Varela's recent book at the Birdfair. As I pore over this stunning work, of which I will comment on very soon, I'm thinking when T W's own version will materialise? It can only be a matter of time.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back