• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Open Office Spreadsheet problem (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Help please!
I keep spreadsheets for bird species seen. For my year list, I am trying to make a table that automatically counts the species seen per month in any one year.

Column A is the species seen, column B is the month they are seen.

I tried the COUNTIF and COUNTA fx's, but I can't get them to work.

Syntax used:
=COUNTIF(B1:B500;'January') then change month name for each line in the results table, but it doesn't work.

=COUNTA(B1:B500;'January') produces the correct result +1 and when I change the month to February, I get the same result, although there are no entries for February.
EDIT: It doesn't seem to matter what word I write in column B, all words +1 are being counted for each month. I can write eg cow and it still gets counted..

Black headed Gull​
January​
January​
25​
Species​
Carrion Crow​
January​
February​
25​
Species​
Common Blackbird​
January​
March​
Species​
Common Buzzard​
January​
April​
Species​
Common Chaffinch​
January​
May​
Species​
Common Crane​
January​
June​
Species​
Common Kestrel​
January​
July​
Species​
Common Magpie​
January​
August​
Species​
Common Starling​
January​
September​
Species​
Common Wood Pigeon​
January​
October​
Species​
Egyptian Goose​
January​
November​
Species​
Eurasian Jay​
January​
December​
Species​
European Goldfinch​
January​
Total 2023
Species
European Herring Gull​
January​
European Robin​
January​
Feral Pigeon​
January​
Great Egret​
January​
Great Spotted Woodpecker​
January​
Great Tit​
January​
Grey Heron​
January​
Greylag Goose​
January​
House Sparrow​
January​
Mallard​
January​
Rook​
January​

Any ideas what will work?

Thanks very much

Last edited:
It is likely that what seem to be text entries ("January" etc) are in fact numbers. Spreadsheets generally store dates and times in this way. If you coerce the entries to be text (e.g. using =text(A1,"mmm") or OO equivalent) the countif etc will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back