• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions Appreciated. Talk me off the bridge. Long post.. (1 Viewer)

BrightIdea

I've had a blast buying and trying bino's the past couple years, and the likes of Tom, Steve, Frank, Kammer, and surely many others have been super helpful in this journey.

However, a recent post on the "bargains" thread has really got me thinking.

I have several overlapping interests and uses for my bin's and am certain that ONE or two bin's woudl be functionally and practically insufficient for me.

The following is a list of what I have in my current stable, and some reasoning for why each is staying or what its currently used for. Also included is cost of each, as best as I can remember.

There's some overlap for sure, and I know I can trim back on 1 or 2 from a usage standpoint, but I like having them in a variety of places handy such as work, car, deck, kitchen etc. This way I dont have to lug them with me all over. I also have kids, and they like to give glassing a try now and again, so spares are useful.

Pocket Bin for briefcase & tacklebox :

Promaster 8x21 $ 7.50
They are tiny and aren’t the worst.
Loss or damage, isn’t a big loss.

Compact for Hiking / hunting / Spare for kid #2:

Tracker 8x25 $40.00
Maybe redundant w/ ex 8x28, but SO light.
My little son took a liking to these.
They live in the closet until needed.

Excursion 8x28 $42.00
Compact and sturdy, great FOV, very respectable
image. Maybe redundant w/ the Bowhunter or the
Tracker, but very likeable. They live on the windowsill
at work to share, and go deer hunting with me.

Semi-compact for Hunting / hiking / kitchen windowsill / Kid #1

BowHunter 7x36 $90.00
Trade up for used Viper or Katmai 6x32 ?
Terrific ergo’s, tank solid, and wide FOV.
These live in my car.

Yosemite 6x30 $45.00
Nice porro, IPD great for my 5 year old, and nice and
light to hike with. They are our kitchen window bino’s.

Birding / spare for wife / window bino’s

Sightron BS 8x32 $190
Theron LT 8x32 $190
Newest additions. I will keep only one, but have yet
to decide. Both are sweet. Will likely be my primary
birding non-hunting bino.
They live next to our living room window.

ProOptic 10x42 $190
1mm play in the focus wheel, otherwise
Expansive bright clear sharp image. Addicting view.
Have really grown on me.
These live next to the window upstairs.

Not sure but seems really cool

Elite Doubler $34
Seemed like something I should get to try

So I am in for around $675, including profit/loss from sales of the others I have tried & resold. (I mention this because money doesnt grow on trees for me. I'm not retired. I have little kids. Oil is expensive. NJ hates its residents and charges a ton for property taxes. etc...)

But here is what has me second guessing all of my decisions. Should I have just gone alpha and stop pretending?

I could have just gone with the following 3, carried them more, but still covered my bases for my usage anyway.

Pocket: Leica ultravid 8x20 $ 400
Compact: Zeiss victoryFL 8x32 $1800
Distance: Swarovision 10x42 EL $2500

On the plus side…
• For only $4,000 more than I paid for my current lineup of 7, I could be comfortable with the satisfaction that people would respect me more as a serious hunter/birder.
• the views would be FAR superior to anything I am currently using.
• Superior views result in finding more deer while hunting …
• …and locating & IDing more birds.
• No-fault-warranty in the event I drop or break them while hunting or when my kids inevitably use them.

Drawbacks to consider…
• I’d have to physically carry at least one of them more than I currently do, as I wouldn’t be able to leave one at work, one in my car, and one at each of the 3 prime windows I look out of to scan my yard.
• It would be odd to hunt in rough terrain with a binocular that costs five times as much as the rest of my hunting gear combined. But I could do it.
• I’d be much less apt to loan them to fledgling birders and friends I’m with, as I often do with the Trackers, Excursions or Bowhunters.

To allay some of these worries, I could spring for a spare, a beater if you will.

Something along the lines of a Nikon premier 8x42 should suffice. Not the BEST views per se, but not woefully inadequate in a pinch. So for another $900 or so I could have some of the convenience I enjoy now, in leaving a pair at one or another window or near the deck, or even in my car so they are always around. And sure, maybe even loaning them to a co worker.

Anyway, this is my current dilemma.

The only problem that I can see is that you simply don't own enough!

What's that old saying? - He who dies with the most toys wins! And you don't even look like you are nearing the finish line. ;)

I've had a blast buying and trying bino's the past couple years, and the likes of Tom, Steve, Frank, Kammer, and surely many others have been super helpful in this journey.

Sightron BS 8x32 $190
Theron LT 8x32 $190

On the plus side…
• For only $4,000 more than I paid for my current lineup of 7, I could be comfortable with the satisfaction that people would respect me more as a serious hunter/birder.

I have also not yet decided on either the Sightron and Theron, but the ergos of the Theron are I think inching them a tad bit forward, but I know what you mean here. Tough call.

Personally I gave up (actually I probably never really cared to begin with) caring what worth somebody else sought to assign to me based on what they thought of my gear. WHat seems like light years ago I would have really liked the original Leica Trinovid, but that seems like ancient history now.

Everybody has their own path to find what suits them and to find what suits them at prices they can afford. So for example if Howard Stern wants to think I'm cheap, he can go for it. ;)

BrightIdea, seems to me your "cons" are alot more rational and practical than your "pros", most of which are optimistic assumptions. I also think far less folks in the USA use the Euro-alphas for hunting even today than the glamour ads in mags lead one to believe. They are just too friggin expensive to be anything but a luxury product akin to a Vuitton/Chanel bag for the ladies (which btw, also ooze impeccable quality craftsmanship)! Afterall Canon IS bins, arguably the MOST technically/optically advanced binoculars made still cost less than an alpha.

Growing up on a S. Texas hunting ranch in the 1960's/70's, I never even heard/saw another bino brand other than Bushnell and Tasco. Never hindered me or the oldtimers from shooting the eyes out of flies at 300m or bagging our annual 2 buck limit either.

On the otherhand, even $3k for a Swarovision is not that expensive in the modern scheme of things. If you don't have anything better to do with your money, knock yourself out I say! You earned it afterall!

Last edited:
go for the alphas-it will be cheaper in the long run than buying/selling, then eventually wind up with the alphas

the Leica Duobid 8+12 would work with a pocket bino

edj

I am the worst one to ask this type of question at this point in time. I see no issue with your selection of bins or what you use them for. I rotate 5 or 6 different bins in my car each day to use whenever I have a free moment.

Frank:

You have sure been a busy boy. You must have a cupboard devoted to just the Porros.
Looks like fun. Enjoy.

Jerry

If Rick can shoot the eyes off a fly at 300m with a Bushnell, so can you. Most hunters I know do not use expensive bins to hunt (one doesn't even use a bin).

If you are a hunter with deep pockets and go on guided mountain goat hunts with a Sherpa out West, well, that's a horse of another color.

The only area where you might want some improvement is with the birding bins since birding is an end unto itself.

If you desire a better view, but can't come up with Why2K?, and don't bird in the rain, consider the 8x32 SE for around $600 or that 8x30 EII from Quiggly down under on ebayo for $480. You'll get 90%+ of the vision thang for a quarter of the price.

You can stick the difference in the children's college fund or use it for car insurance. Not sure if that's changed, but when I lived in NJ, premiums were very high due to the great number of cars and even greater number of crazy drivers.

Brock

Frank:

You have sure been a busy boy. You must have a cupboard devoted to just the Porros.
Looks like fun. Enjoy.

Jerry

Jerry,

No cupboard yet but I plan on getting some type of glass-door cabinet at some point in the future. I noticed something similar on Fan Tao's website and thought it would be a great addition to the new home...if I can sneak it past the future Mrs. ;)

I have more bins to update to the Flickr site but just haven't had the time lately. I will do one now though while I have a few minutes. It is a great deal of fun and involves relatively small sums of money so I see no harm in it. You might find interest in the fact that two of my favorites in the current selection are Nikon porros. I have another one to add to the list shortly.

If you desire a better view, but can't come up with Why2K?, and don't bird in the rain, consider the 8x32 SE for around $600 or that 8x30 EII from Quiggly down under on ebayo for $480. You'll get 90%+ of the vision thang for a quarter of the price.

You can stick the difference in the children's college fund or use it for car insurance. Not sure if that's changed, but when I lived in NJ, premiums were very high due to the great number of cars and even greater number of crazy drivers.

Brock

Thanks Brock. I guess it went un-noticed, but my original post was a bit of tongue in cheek drama response to the local curmudgeon. For the time being my Sightron/Theron/ProOptic are really quite adequate for birding for me.

I do really like that 3d "prorro-view" so the SE you mention are possibly something I would be interested in trying one day.

Offtopic
As for NJ car insurance, its ridiculous. I got into an accident about 11 years ago, and a couple months prior got a speeding ticket (7 miles over on a highway!!). Anyhoo, my rate as a single guy over 25 went to... well, lets just say I could have purchased every one of the bino's mentioned in my original post every year for what my premium went to. Seriously.

Its back down to vortex razor 8x42 price range for married + 2 cars.

However, a recent post on the "bargains" thread has really got me thinking.

I have several overlapping interests and uses for my bin's and am certain that ONE or two bin's woudl be functionally and practically insufficient for me.

The following is a list of what I have in my current stable, and some reasoning for why each is staying or what its currently used for. Also included is cost of each, as best as I can remember.

There's some overlap for sure, and I know I can trim back on 1 or 2 from a usage standpoint, but I like having them in a variety of places handy such as work, car, deck, kitchen etc. This way I dont have to lug them with me all over. I also have kids, and they like to give glassing a try now and again, so spares are useful.

Pocket Bin for briefcase & tacklebox :

Promaster 8x21 $ 7.50
They are tiny and aren’t the worst.
Loss or damage, isn’t a big loss.

Compact for Hiking / hunting / Spare for kid #2:

Tracker 8x25 $40.00
Maybe redundant w/ ex 8x28, but SO light.
My little son took a liking to these.
They live in the closet until needed.

Excursion 8x28 $42.00
Compact and sturdy, great FOV, very respectable
image. Maybe redundant w/ the Bowhunter or the
Tracker, but very likeable. They live on the windowsill
at work to share, and go deer hunting with me.

Semi-compact for Hunting / hiking / kitchen windowsill / Kid #1

BowHunter 7x36 $90.00
Trade up for used Viper or Katmai 6x32 ?
Terrific ergo’s, tank solid, and wide FOV.
These live in my car.

Yosemite 6x30 $45.00
Nice porro, IPD great for my 5 year old, and nice and
light to hike with. They are our kitchen window bino’s.

Sightron BS 8x32 $190
Theron LT 8x32 $190

ProOptic 10x42 $190
1mm play in the focus wheel, otherwise
Expansive bright clear sharp image. Addicting view.
Have really grown on me.
These live next to the window upstairs.

Not sure but seems really cool

Elite Doubler $34
Seemed like something I should get to try

So I am in for around $675, including profit/loss from sales of the others I have tried & resold. (I mention this because money doesnt grow on trees for me. I'm not retired. I have little kids. Oil is expensive. NJ hates its residents and charges a ton for property taxes. etc...)

But here is what has me second guessing all of my decisions. Should I have just gone alpha and stop pretending?

I could have just gone with the following 3, carried them more, but still covered my bases for my usage anyway.

Pocket: Leica ultravid 8x20 $ 400
Compact: Zeiss victoryFL 8x32 $1800
Distance: Swarovision 10x42 EL $2500

On the plus side…
• No-fault-warranty in the event I drop or break them while hunting or when my kids inevitably use them.

Drawbacks to consider…
• I’d have to physically carry at least one of them more than I currently do, as I wouldn’t be able to leave one at work, one in my car, and one at each of the 3 prime windows I look out of to scan my yard.
• It would be odd to hunt in rough terrain with a binocular that costs five times as much as the rest of my hunting gear combined. But I could do it.
• I’d be much less apt to loan them to fledgling birders and friends I’m with, as I often do with the Trackers, Excursions or Bowhunters.

To allay some of these worries, I could spring for a spare, a beater if you will.

Something along the lines of a Nikon premier 8x42 should suffice. Not the BEST views per se, but not woefully inadequate in a pinch. So for another $900 or so I could have some of the convenience I enjoy now, in leaving a pair at one or another window or near the deck, or even in my car so they are always around. And sure, maybe even loaning them to a co worker.

I am glad to see you have seen the light and your journey has ended. Offer this guy $900.00 for these and all the pain and frustration will be over and then stay off the computer and just go birding. There will be some withdrawal symptoms so maybe you should join "Binocular Anonymous".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-8x42-...180754073974?pt=Binocular&hash=item2a15c84976

I am glad to see you have seen the light and your journey has ended. Offer this guy $900.00 for these and all the pain and frustration will be over and then stay off the computer and just go birding. There will be some withdrawal symptoms so maybe you should join "Binocular Anonymous".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-8x42-...180754073974?pt=Binocular&hash=item2a15c84976

Great! Thanks for the link Dennis. Those 8x42's ought to be perfect for sharing, loaning @ work, keeping at each viewing location, leaving in my car, taking hunting, and stowing in my tackle bag, fitting in my pocket, and event wearing around town when I scoot out to the store.

My questions on the above would be.

What kind of respect is the kind that comes from carrying a certain type of optic? God save me forever from people that won't respect me due to my material goods? YUCK.

Do you know... really know for sure that the views are FAR superior? Or is that a bias based in what I said above?

Would you really find more deer this way? I'm certainly a tad skeptical of this one. The bird one maybe.

And finally who has a better warranty than companies like Vortex, Eagle Optics. etc?

Maybe you're just pulling our leg here.;)

My questions on the above would be.

What kind of respect is the kind that comes from carrying a certain type of optic? God save me forever from people that won't respect me due to my material goods? YUCK.

Do you know... really know for sure that the views are FAR superior? Or is that a bias based in what I said above?

Would you really find more deer this way? I'm certainly a tad skeptical of this one. The bird one maybe.

And finally who has a better warranty than companies like Vortex, Eagle Optics. etc?

Maybe you're just pulling our leg here.;)

"Would you really find more deer this way? I'm certainly a tad skeptical of this one. The bird one maybe."

With an alpha binocular you can see antlers at NIGHT!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back