• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions on this video- Slender billed curlew (1 Viewer)

Bewick

Connoisseur of WTL
United Kingdom
Have been doing a little reading and research on the slender billed curlew for a few days after a discussion with my dad on the topic. There's was a previously accepted record of a slender billed curlew in northumberland in 1998. Anyone have any opinions on this video.

Last edited:
Have been doing a little reading and research on the slender billed curlew for a few days after a discussion with my dad on the topic. There's was a previously accepted record of a slender billed curlew in northumberland in 1998. Anyone have any opinions on this video.

I think an Ivory-billed Woodpecker flies through the frame at 1 min 4 secs.

83 pages of views here Bewick if you have the stamina:-

I once had an interesting chat on a plane with one of the ex-BBRC members that initially accepted it at the joint meeting at Colin Bradshaw's house. I think that airplane chat was after it had been finally removed from the list having been reviewed and kept on the list the first time with an article published on the analysis.

Not sure how accurate the description of the circumstances of that meeting and initial acceptance was but its acceptance came as a surprise to me certainly. Out of the blue. No rumour mill. Maybe I had fewer contacts back then.

Both of us felt by the time of its final removal that it was correct that the bird was no longer on the list.

I had seen it and I think that he had not. Many did not travel to see it. I only saw it by the skin of my teeth on its last evening following persuasion by a friend who had already seen it.

Having seen it, I think that it was a very interesting bird that is easy to belittle and respected individuals have been caught out with comparisons against obviously different birds at different times of year. But a Eurasian Curlew almost certainly.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back