• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optica Exotica - really good youtube channel for binocular reviews (1 Viewer)

I was always surprised and confused that Ethan’s channel never received more subscribers. Imo the channel separated itself from just about all the other binocular channels by having a human and emotional real life feeling towards the equipment, not just manufacturers statistics and measurements. In the beginning of my hobby, those things seemed important to me, especially after reading just about every review on the Allbinos website. From watching Ethan’s channel I realized that there’s a lot more than stats when it comes to which optic will bring the most enjoyment. There were no other review, channels or websites that motivated me to spend so much money on binoculars. Most other reviews of Leica Binoculars kept me from buying them when comparing to Zeiss and Swarovski, Ethan’s channel made me a Leica fanboy.

I also liked the MHG FOV to wide review the Albie mentioned earlier, I shook my head on that one 🤪. Some of the choice words, descriptions and contradictory (very few) opinions is also what made it fun. There were so many stand out moments and expressions that remind me of Arnold Schwarzenegger movie comments like, I’ll be back. There was Schott glass, or was that, shot glass ?
Vomittacious to describe his experience with Swarovski’s EL globe effect was a new word I learned. And of course, who could forget the crowd, pleaser, a Leica, being serious bling 😂. It seems like every review was a little bit like a weekly sitcom, where we’d find out if the wind would blow over the tripod, or how tough the Noctivids are after he slipped and fell down down hill in the forest. The health issues of lime diseas and respiratory issues from the CA wild fires, Ethan putting his health on the line to do another Binocular review for his dedicated followers 🤪.

I always thought a highlight video in the first 20 seconds or so of funny memorable moments from some of the reviews would’ve been amusing. Maybe YouTube would’ve promoted the channel more if there was a bikini try on haul in conjunction with the binocular review 🤭.

I’m also very sorry to see the channel gone, although if I never seen it, I probably would’ve saved $10-$15,000..

Paul

I was always surprised and confused that Ethan’s channel never received more subscribers. Imo the channel separated itself from just about all the other binocular channels by having a human and emotional real life feeling towards the equipment, not just manufacturers statistics and measurements. In the beginning of my hobby, those things seemed important to me, especially after reading just about every review on the Allbinos website. From watching Ethan’s channel I realized that there’s a lot more than stats when it comes to which optic will bring the most enjoyment. There were no other review, channels or websites that motivated me to spend so much money on binoculars. Most other reviews of Leica Binoculars kept me from buying them when comparing to Zeiss and Swarovski, Ethan’s channel made me a Leica fanboy.

I also liked the MHG FOV to wide review the Albie mentioned earlier, I shook my head on that one 🤪. Some of the choice words, descriptions and contradictory (very few) opinions is also what made it fun. There were so many stand out moments and expressions that remind me of Arnold Schwarzenegger movie comments like, I’ll be back. There was Schott glass, or was that, shot glass ?
Vomittacious to describe his experience with Swarovski’s EL globe effect was a new word I learned. And of course, who could forget the crowd, pleaser, a Leica, being serious bling 😂. It seems like every review was a little bit like a weekly sitcom, where we’d find out if the wind would blow over the tripod, or how tough the Noctivids are after he slipped and fell down down hill in the forest. The health issues of lime diseas and respiratory issues from the CA wild fires, Ethan putting his health on the line to do another Binocular review for his dedicated followers 🤪.

I always thought a highlight video in the first 20 seconds or so of funny memorable moments from some of the reviews would’ve been amusing. Maybe YouTube would’ve promoted the channel more if there was a bikini try on haul in conjunction with the binocular review 🤭.

I’m also very sorry to see the channel gone, although if I never seen it, I probably would’ve saved $10-$15,000..

Paul
Dang I remember all those details from the videos! Now I really miss them 🥹. There were several I watched multiple times. Like you, he inspired me to buy some Swarovski EL's. Something that if you would have told my younger self 10 years ago that I would spend $2,000+ on a pair of binoculars I probably would have laughed hysterically in disbelief!

Its really is a shame he took it down. I probably watched all of them a half a dozen times. Would've been nice to have some legacy on the platform, something people would remember of him, some recognition for a possible future project. Its all good advertising, the sham wow guy is a millionaire.

Now the only thing we have to remember you Ethan, is for your brief orchestration of Zarathustra when introducing the Swarovski NL Pure's. Or maybe you offering Swarovski a kidney if they would send you a Pure for review. Or you could put it back up, if just for shts and giggles.

Paul

Ethan, Thank you for your videos!
I came across your channel after I had already purchased my first pair of (relatively) expensive binoculars, but I watched all your video reviews because they were interesting, informative and entertaining at the same time. IMO, you had by far the best binoculars reviews on Youtube.
I sincerely wish you all the best in the future!

Ethan, thanks for your videos and efforts. I always enjoyed watching them. You did way more to sell bins than guys just unboxing and talking about them. It was revolutionary and set the bar for real in the field reviews

Hello everyone, Optica Exotica here. I'm very touched by this outpouring, I honestly didn't think people would care that I took down my channel.
So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Ethan

Ethan,

You're videos were great. Thanks for the detailed explanation you provided all of us about why you removed the channel. Really miss watching your videos. Thank you for all the time and dedication you gave creating the content. I wish it would have worked out for you to make more money from it. Sad to see them go.

I'm not well educated on YT monetization, but wondering, if the Optica Exotica channel was changed to non-monitization, would that prevent YT from making money off of you?

Seems like that would be a way for your content to live on for us Optica Exotica fans and other binoholics, but at the same time not allow YT to profit off of your work.

Travis

I was wondering if it would be advantageous for Ethan to set up a website that people can join and pay a yearly fee or donation , say a minimum of $20 or so, something like Astromart does. He could advertise it here and on the other optics and equipment sites, could also use YT to promote some how. If he got 5000 subscribers at the minimum fee , that’s a 100k. He could put a minimum of something like one review a month or so, which wouldn’t be to much work ( I suspect). He could also put all the old content on, maybe even make short updates to the old content to keep them fresh. He could also ad other related content. Another thought would be he could work something out with a few retailers to be able to give a 5% discount on purchased goods for being a subscriber. I’m just sayin.

I was wondering if it would be advantageous for Ethan to set up a website that people can join and pay a yearly fee or donation , say a minimum of $20 or so, something like Astromart does. He could advertise it here and on the other optics and equipment sites, could also use YT to promote some how. If he got 5000 subscribers at the minimum fee , that’s a 100k. He could put a minimum of something like one review a month or so, which wouldn’t be to much work ( I suspect). He could also put all the old content on, maybe even make short updates to the old content to keep them fresh. He could also ad other related content. Another thought would be he could work something out with a few retailers to be able to give a 5% discount on purchased goods for being a subscriber. I’m just sayin.
Other option crossed my mind would be that rather than purchase new optics to review, something could be worked out with subscribers whereby they purchase/provide the optics for reviews. Or at least only purchase items with some kind of mechanism in place for returning them without losing out on depreciation ...

Possibly all a moot point now ...

Other option crossed my mind would be that rather than purchase new optics to review, something could be worked out with subscribers whereby they purchase/provide the optics for reviews. Or at least only purchase items with some kind of mechanism in place for returning them without losing out on depreciation ...

Just on the lines of very scientific audiophile review site Page Redirection

Great idea.

Last edited:
Paying someone to look through binoculars for you? Are you kidding?

I'd rather work something out with an owner of the same model (that doesn't live too far away) and use the money to get to see the binocular in question with your own eyes/in your own hands. I guess part of the deal would be that you bring along a binocular of interest to the other guy/gal for him/her to try - quid pro quo. With the number of members we've got, it really ought to be possible to do this. A good subject for a separate thread maybe?

I'm not well educated on YT monetization, but wondering, if the Optica Exotica channel was changed to non-monitization, would that prevent YT from making money off of you?

Travis
Yes YT can place adverts on non monetized channels. In particular if the video is getting good views and ticks all their boxes regards policy etc

If you have kept your videos, have you thought of applying to be a Nebula content creator?

They give way more power to the content creators and it's a more stable income as well. Lot's of informative and progressive creators on that platform and it's growing like mad.

Your content was top notch and helped me open my mind a bit from Swaro to Leica.

Óptica Exótica, I spent a good portion of my evening trying to find your content on YT, as you are my favorite Binoculars reviewer. I was saddened not to your content/channel on YT. I finally found myself here. I can understand your frustration with YT, but you will be missed. I hope to see your content again some day, because I really liked your style/methodology in reviewing binoculars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back