• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron 10x50 Discovery WP PC - 1st impressions (2 Viewers)

mfunnell

Registered Confuser
I decided I wanted ("needed" would be too strong a word) a set of 10x binoculars to supplement my assorted lower-magnification bins. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because I think lower magnification suits me in most circumstances, with 8x being a nice compromise for general usage (while also seeing that 7x or even 6x might be perferable in some circumstances or preferred by some people more generally and for quite good reasons). I've occasionally been left wanting a bit more magnification, though, and 10x seems enough extra to matter, while not being too strong for easy hand-holding.

While thinking on this, and wondering what might be a nice set of 10x bins for not too much money, I saw this post by FrankD:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3306774&postcount=4
Here is an interesting one to throw in the mix...the 10x50 Opticron Discovery.

Given the option I always prefer the larger exit pupil of a 10x50 to a 10x42. The only real negatives to 10x50s are their larger physical size and their narrower field of view. This is not the case with the Discovery. It has a 345 foot field of view (115 meters) and is probably the most compact 50 mm I have ever laid my hands on at 5.7 inches. Price is under $300 IIRC.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/opticron/opticron-discovery-wp-pc-10x50-binocular
That made quite a bit of sense to me, and after some more research and comparison-shopping I sent off to my supplier (B&H Photo) to feed my new-found optical addiction. They arrived the other day and here are my first impressions...

Straight out of the box the 10x50 Discoverys seem a clean-looking and compact design. They feel good in the hand and they really are compact, being barely larger than my 8x42 Terra EDs, albeit quite a few (about 5) ounces heavier. The weight difference is no doubt due to the heftier optical components (50mm vs 42mm objectives) and magnesium-alloy (rather than composite) body construction. I think I'd prefer to save a couple or three ounces with composite construction but at around 29 ounces (officially 813 grams) the weight is far from being a problem. The cheap-but-cheerful strap and case are good enough, without being anything more than functional (note the case is unpadded and has no separate strap). The rubber-band-and-cap objective covers fit well, while two rain-guards were provided - a single-piece variety (which fits and is the one I'm using) and a two-connected-caps version which I found too tight over the eye cups. Its nice that Opticron gives the two options, though. A microfibre cloth and a warranty registration card round out the contents of the box. I can't find country-of-manufacture information marked anywhere on the box, paperwork or binoculars - so I'd guess made in China but can't be sure.

Fit and finish seems generally good. The rubber armour is smooth and feels nice in the hand, with no obvious problems fitting over the chassis (aside from one small bump on the left barrel which I doubt has any importance). The central hinge seems to have just the right amount of resistance, allowing easy adjustment of barrel spacing while holding position nicely once set. There are mild thumb-position detents under the barrel with textured armour in those spots (but only those). My left thumb naturally wants to sit there, while my right doesn't - but that's no big deal. The binoculars feel quite comfortable in my hands, which are pretty much average-sized male hands. The twist-up eye cups have three detents - fully down (obviously) and fully up seem to lock in position quite firmly, while the middle position doesn't seem secure but in practice holds quite well (however, I use them with eyecups fully extended so I've not really exercised the middle position that much). The diopter on the right-hand barrel is easy to adjust while being firm enough to hold its setting without unwanted movement. Eye relief is specified as 22mm - which seems about right. There is certainly plenty enough for my eyes, with or without glasses, while still allowing me to rest against the eyecups at full extension.

The focus wheel is large and ribbed, and falls easily under my fingers. Focus is counter-clockwise to infinity (I have no preference). The focus wheel is smooth and precise, but has somewhat too little resistance for my taste, but not so light that its a problem for me. Focusing is fast with quite small movements making large changes to focus point - even more so than my 8x42 Terra EDs, which are fast themselves. I adjust to it pretty easily, but find the combination of higher magnification and faster focusing a little too "nervous" for my taste while, again, not being a deal-breaker (though I imagine some might find it too problematic for comfort). Close focus is said to be 1.5 metres - I haven't measured mine it but that seems about right (I probably focus closer with my eyes, but I'm nearsighted). There is plenty of focus movement left after focusing out to infinity, so I imagine these Discoverys would work across the full range with most peoples' eyesight.

Optically, I'm quite pleased with my new Discoverys with one caveat. As FrankD noted, the field of view is quite decent - I imagine especially so for 10x magnification binoculars (they're specified as 115m @1km, being barely narrower than, say, my Diamondback 8x28 bins and really only somewhat narrower than my 8x42 Terra EDs). The view certainly doesn't feel tight or constrained to me. The view seems decently sharp on-centre and apparent sharpness only seems to drop off quite near the edges. Contrast and colour saturation seem OK without being great. Certainly quite pleasant and usable. Looking towards the early-morning sun, these Discoverys don't seem to flare much if at all, at least directly. They do, however, suffer a bit from loss of contrast due to veiling flare. While they are by no means as flare-resistant as my Terra EDs (especially as regards veiling flare) I'd say they do a better than average job - certainly better than all my bins except the Terras (oh, OK, my Papillos do better on veiling flare, but not as well on direct flare).

The big problem these Discoverys have, for those who regard it as a big problem, would no doubt be chromatic aberration. CA is pretty obvious even in the centre of the view and gets progressively worse towards the edges. I wouldn't call it pronounced, but it is present and I don't have to go looking for it. Now, as it happens, I'm not especially sensitive to CA and I can mostly ignore it unless it gets really out of control. So I find these Discoverys quite useable. But I doubt they'd suit anyone who is really bothered by CA. Would I prefer better CA control? You betcha! But I probably wouldn't pay a lot more to avoid it in these, which are not my primary binoculars. If they were, I probably would. YMMV - perhaps a lot!

But, as it happens, I quite like my new Discovery 10x50s. They work quite well for me as my supplementary 10x bins and I'm glad to have bought them. I guess I'll now see how they go over time, but I expect I'll remain quite glad to have them and get my expected use from them.

...Mike

Last edited:
Your Discovery certainly is well travelled Mike - China > UK > US > Australia! Glad you're enjoying them.

Cheers, Pete

Your Discovery certainly is well travelled Mike - China > UK > US > Australia! Glad you're enjoying them.

Cheers, Pete
That is really the long way around, for sure! Though I'm not entirely convinced they followed that path. No doubt they were designed (or at least specified) in the UK and bought from a US retailer - but, judging by how quickly they arrived here in Oz, I suspect they might have been shipped from a Chinese fulfillment centre or even factory. (That's a good thing, BTW, if true. But I'm really just guessing and you probably know more about that than I do. Whichever way around they came, they arrived much more quickly than B&H's 7-14 day estimate.)

No matter how they arrived, I am enjoying the view. This evening (after this "initial impressions" post) I used them to watch some kookaburras celebrating their sharing of a lizard, just on dusk and without leaving my balcony. The magnification, 50mm objectives and large-ish exit pupil helped, I think. Just the kind of thing I bought them for (though certainly no fun for the lizard).

...Mike

P.S. And thanks, Pete, for paying attention. It's nice to know that some suppliers at least notice, and perhaps even feed our views into the mix. I hope my 1st-impressions write-up seemed fair but positive, because that's the way I think of these bins: a nice view, with some weaknesses but good value for money.

Last edited:
Mike,

If you got these from B&H then they definitely followed the route the my colleague Pete described, there is no other :)

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Mike,

If you got these from B&H then they definitely followed the route the my colleague Pete described, there is no other :)

Chris Galvin
Opticron
Then I can only say: "Wow! They came a long way in a very short time. Well done, to all concerned." I expected to wait a lot longer, but didn't have to. Of which I'm quite glad.

...Mike

Wow, some folks actually do read what I post on the forums. :)

Glad you like the Discoveries Mike. I think they are a vastly under-recognized model....probably not in terms of sales but rather here on the forums. I really like the 8x42 and 8x50 models. Their large diameter oculars make for an extremely enjoyable viewing experience.

Wow, some folks actually do read what I post on the forums. :)
And even pay attention sometimes o:)

Glad you like the Discoveries Mike. I think they are a vastly under-recognized model....probably not in terms of sales but rather here on the forums. I really like the 8x42 and 8x50 models. Their large diameter oculars make for an extremely enjoyable viewing experience.
I'd not thought on the 8x42 model (being quite happy with my current bins in that format) but did think about the 8x50 version when I received the 10x model: I imagine the larger exit pupil makes for a very relaxed view (my old eyes probably wouldn't pick up much extra in lower light, but I do think the less critical eye position makes for easier viewing and helps a bit with hand-shake). I probably won't buy them, but do see the 8x50 model as having its attractions.

I've just been using my 10x50s this morning (it is morning down here). I finished my overnight work ( |:(| ), wandered out to my balcony and was able to spot kookaburras, crimson rosellas, rainbow lorikeets and (inevitably) noisy miners by scanning the bush opposite in just-on-dawn light, where I couldn't make out anything with unaided eyesight. Just the the kind of thing I bought them for! (I especially enjoyed seeing a pair of lorikeets pushing off a bunch of noisy miners: they can be agressive little things so it was nice to see them picking a target I can approve of).

Thanks again for pointing me towards them :t:

...Mike

I tried the 8x32 Opticrons as well as some very slightly smaller 8x25 binoculars at about the same cost. While the 8x32 Opticrons are slightly larger and heavier than some of the 8x25 models, you gain a lot of clarity and brightness for only a slight penalty in size and weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back