• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron 8x24 Traveler BGA user reports? (1 Viewer)

I don't know why but I'm still entertaining picking these up. I guess, because if the specs are correct they seem to be quite on the smaller side... Only half an inch wider than the curio but 3mm more objective.

From their website:

Opticron 8x24 traveler bga
Dimensions LxWxD (inches) 3.7x4.1x1.2
Weight (oz) 8.5 / 240g

vs.

Curio 7x21 (per B&H)
Dimensions 3.7 x 3.6 x 1.7" / 9.4 x 9.1 x 4.3 cm
Weight 8.9 oz / 252 g

vs

Zeiss Pocket 8x25 (per B&H)
Dimensions 4.5 x 4.4" x ? / 11.43 x 11.18 cm x ?
Weight 10.9 oz / 309 g

Isee,

I have Opticron DBA Oasis in 8x21 and 10x25 (both now discontinued). I haven't tried any other Opticron pockets but those two are both great for the money optically and mechanically. I also own multiple SW, Zeiss, Leica UV and Trinovid pocket models. The Opticrons don't give up much compared to any of my premium models especially given the difference in price. Not trying to spend your money, but based on my experience including a fair amount of direct comparison I vote you get the Traveler and see whether you like it enough to keep it. I do like the fact that the Traveler is only slightly larger than the Curio and the Leicas, but has the 24 mm objective. If you take the plunge, let us know what you think.

Mike

@mwhogue Thank you for your comment. I'm trying to see if I can get used to the front focuser on the Nikon 8x20 HGL. This one is next on my to try list. I've tried a lower budget opticron pocket bin and found for the money to be good enough. Notably, while the housing necessarily wasn't the greatest, the optics did punch above their weight class.

My interest in a budget pocket binocular is that I tend to rough house such small devices unfortunately -- for example I sat on and snapped a keychain trinket a while ago. So I'm shaking in my boots at the idea of sitting on an $800 pocket bin. :censored:

Last edited:
@mwhogue Thank you for your comment. I'm trying to see if I can get use to the front focuser on the Nikon 8x20 HGL. This one is next on my to try list. I've tried a lower budget opticron pocket bin and found for the money to be good enough. Notably, while the housing necessarily wasn't the greatest, the optics did punch above their weight class.

My interest in a budget pocket binocular is that I tend to rough house such small devices unfortunately -- for example I sat on and snapped a keychain trinket a while ago. So I'm shaking in my boots of the idea of sitting on an $800 pocket bin. :censored:
Have you considered Zeiss Terra ED 8x25? .5” larger vs Traveler, 2oz higher weight. Cheaper (Amazon) vs Traveler 🤔

Thanks for the reference. I did briefly look at them but from what I read/saw they seemed on the bulkier (side) and not particularly pocketable?

My interest/curiousity in the Traveler was if it was svelte enough to replace a 20mm while hitting closer to home of a 25mm.

I didn't realize the terra ed on amazon were so cheap at the moment $340. Versus $400 on BHPhoto. Ordering them from JP would probably cost around $350 with conversion/shipping fees.

Thanks for the reference. I did briefly look at them but from what I read/saw they seemed on the bulkier (side) and not particularly pocketable?

My interest/curiousity in the Traveler was if it was svelte enough to replace a 20mm while hitting closer to home of a 25mm.

I didn't realize the terra ed on amazon were so cheap at the moment $340. Versus $400 on BHPhoto. Ordering them from JP would probably cost around $350 with conversion/shipping fees.
$301 at this link

@mwhogue Thank you for your comment. I'm trying to see if I can get used to the front focuser on the Nikon 8x20 HGL. This one is next on my to try list. I've tried a lower budget opticron pocket bin and found for the money to be good enough. Notably, while the housing necessarily wasn't the greatest, the optics did punch above their weight class.

My interest in a budget pocket binocular is that I tend to rough house such small devices unfortunately -- for example I sat on and snapped a keychain trinket a while ago. So I'm shaking in my boots at the idea of sitting on an $800 pocket bin. :censored:

Thanks for the reference. I did briefly look at them --( ZEISS TERRA 8x25))--but from what I read/saw they seemed on the bulkier (side) and not particularly pocketable?

Right the Terra is about the same size as the VP and SW 25mm. Realistically they are both "cargo" or jacket pocket models. See pic below comparing the VP, Terra and Curio for a rough idea. The Traveller 8x24 would be somewhere in between.

Regarding the Nikon 8x20 HGL, my old SW 8x20 also has the focus knob on front of the bridge. Takes a little getting used to but I can reach the knob with my middle finger which works well enough with some practice.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
Thank you for the picture -- it's much appreciated.

Yeah, the focuser on the front of nikon hgl is such a perplexity. On the one hand it feels like no big deal, on the other it definitely takes getting some used to. I find I end up having to use my pinky to turn it so the whole action feels rather detached. Yet because it's the pinky I can turn the pocket bino with one hand while maintaining the view. So far I've only tried the hgl indoor as I wasn't sure if i wasn't going to sell it. Tbd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back