• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optics Fair at Dunkeld - advice on 10x42s (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Viking are visiting Loch of the Lowes at the weekend for an Optics Fair.

Some of you may remember that one of the eyepieces fell off my current bins, which I've mended with some gaffer-type tape, but it's not ideal.

I'm currently looking at the Kestrel or Peregrine 10x42's any excellent or poor comments on either would be appreciated. I wear glasses.

I'm not familiar with Viking binoculars (others may be able to give you better feedback) - aren't they covered under warranty? It sounds as though that should be covered under build quality.
I see that Viking sell other brands, and one of the binoculars which is similarly priced and would be a good option as a fellow bespectacled user would be the Nikon Monarch M7 - it has 16.5mm eye relief and a 121m FoV - likely a good option for use with glasses. I'm unsure if Viking still sell Opticron bins, if so, it is worth checking out the verano, which is a great binocular for the money.

Viking are visiting Loch of the Lowes at the weekend for an Optics Fair.

Some of you may remember that one of the eyepieces fell off my current bins, which I've mended with some gaffer-type tape, but it's not ideal.

I'm currently looking at the Kestrel or Peregrine 10x42's any excellent or poor comments on either would be appreciated. I wear glasses.
I had some kestrels in 8x42 and they are great for the money, I had to jump up to the £1000 bracket to find anything I thought worth moving to. I also wear glasses, I think I compared them to the peregrines and I couldn't see enough of a difference between them to justify not getting the kestrels

Thanks very much for that Daniel, the advantage of going to the optics fair is that I can try them out under normal viewing conditions, and if neither work for me I'll certainly ask about the Verano ones. My current ones are Opticrons, and from memory I'm sure I got them at Loch of the Lowes (but not an optics fair). Might take them along and see if they can repair them LOL.

Thanks too GR and for your thoughts on the Kestrels/Peregrines. At the moment I really can't justify spending 1K on bins just now.

Cheers Daniel. Yes, I've seen LCE mentioned on here many times.

Can you tell me... what does BGA and VHD stand for? I normally try for ED glass.

Do you think I can pass the guarantee on... don't think I've another 30 years left in me LOL

Cheers Daniel. Yes, I've seen LCE mentioned on here many times.

Can you tell me... what does BGA and VHD stand for? I normally try for ED glass.

Do you think I can pass the guarantee on... don't think I've another 30 years left in me LOL
There are some threads in the opticron forum which explain the lettering (e.g. here and here), but this page may help. I believe these also use ED glass - the specs are available on the first link. It may be worth reading this review though - it seems that eye relief may be more of an issue, and a reason to try before you buy.

Thanks so much for your trouble Daniel, I'll study these links.

Yes, I do much prefer to handle them and use bins before I make the purchase. That's why I've waited so long with my damaged ones.

Also (sorry to add confusion!) some great deals on used kit here, all would be great options and suitable for use with glasses:

Also (sorry to add confusion!) some great deals on used kit here, all would be great options and suitable for use with glasses:
Thanks for those Daniel... I'll also pass these on to my friend who is also looking for an upgrade. He has glaucoma and is blind in one eye and very poor vision in the right. Unfortunately, I really can't remember if he wears his glasses to look through his binoculars.

Well I'm home, with a new pair of bins!!

The had brought both the Kestrel and Peregrine for me to try. I had plenty of time trying them in three different locations on the reserve. She popped out a few times to see how I was getting on. Eventually, I began to favour the Peregrines as they were lighter (she said about 100g).

She also helped me with adjustments. I didn't realise that you don't really need to do any if you wear glasses, as the optician should have made the vision as good as it can be with the lenses. However, I have a rather large prism, so a little was necessary.

My other issue, with both of them (and my current ones), was that I discovered I could see perfectly through the left barrel, but the right one was completely black. We soon got that one sorted. I don't know why I hadn't discovered that years ago, unless it is due to the prism, as it must have been OK when I first got them and I don't normally close one eye when looking through them LOL.

It seem it's really important for me to test binoculars out in the field, with someone knowledgeable holding my hand LOL.

So thanks guys for all your advice and help it really is appreciated. There was nothing wrong with the Kestrels GR... 10 years ago I would probably have gone for them, but didn't have so much arthritis in those days.

The only thing I was unable to check out was for any chromatic aberration as it was a beautiful day with clear blue skies! Today was different though; very overcast with low cloud on the hills.

So when I had a clear view of a telegraph wire with the sky beyond I had a good look at it. I seemed to have a bit of double vision on the wire, however it was rather windy, so it could have been movement but no sign of unwanted colour. So looking good from that point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back