• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth 8x56 Royal ? (1 Viewer)

solentbirder

Anyone actually used any of the Optolyth Royal range of roof prism binoculars ? Prices seems fairly reasonable at Ace Cameras of Bath and they come in some nice configurations for low light (and a bit of casual astronomy when it gets too dark for bird watching !).
Thanks

solentbirder said:
Anyone actually used any of the Optolyth Royal range of roof prism binoculars ? Prices seems fairly reasonable at Ace Cameras of Bath and they come in some nice configurations for low light (and a bit of casual astronomy when it gets too dark for bird watching !).
Thanks

I owned for a time an Optolyth 8 x 45 Royal. Very impressive optics, but the glass lost collimation after a trivial bump. I had it recollimated by Cory Suddurth, who reported that he was shocked at the cheapness of the innards of the binocular and pronounced the prism mounting arrangement "Tasco level". The bin was too expensive to use solely for looking at the bird feeder from the kitchen window, so I took my loss and sold it on eBay. If the 8 x 56 is the individual focus model, it might be sturdier, but I would be wary.

chartwell99 said:
I owned for a time an Optolyth 8 x 45 Royal. Very impressive optics, but the glass lost collimation after a trivial bump. I had it recollimated by Cory Suddurth, who reported that he was shocked at the cheapness of the innards of the binocular and pronounced the prism mounting arrangement "Tasco level". The bin was too expensive to use solely for looking at the bird feeder from the kitchen window, so I took my loss and sold it on eBay. If the 8 x 56 is the individual focus model, it might be sturdier, but I would be wary.

Great advice thanks !
I thought it was rather too good to be true B :)

I am surprised to hear about the low build quality. Although I have a pair of 10x40 Alpins that I use occasionally when travelling light, I would personally not choose Optolyth Royals because of their narrow field of view (only 110m at 1000 m for the 8x56).

Graham

solentbirder said:
Anyone actually used any of the Optolyth Royal range of roof prism binoculars ?

Hi,

I owned a secondhand pair late last year, as I also was looking for the optimum (for me) poor light bino. I also own 8x32 HGs and 8.5x42 ELs, against which they were compared.

Perhaps not a fair comparison, but from the beginning it was fairly obvious they were not on a par, both optically and mechanically (especially the frail, external, focusing mechanism), with the other two. Although properly collimated, I never felt comfortable with them at the eyes. They are big and heavy and the fov at 110m/6.3°/50° AFoV appeared 'tunnel-like'. Star images were sharp(ish) in the central 50% but fell away sharply after that.

After extensive comparisons which involved many early morning starts to the day, I was surprised to find that the Swaro, with a 5mm exit pupil, outperformed the Optolyths in almost every way, notably sharpness and contrast. Yes, the Optolyths were brighter, but after wandering through my local woods in semi-darkness, I came to the conclusion I could still see more detail with the ELs. And that went for the HGs also with their 4mm exit pupil.

If your heart is really set on 8x56, with the Optolyths at £499, I personally would look around for a good pair of s/h Swaro 8x56/8x50 SLCs which will give you a much better view. But as ever, the last word is try, try, try, until you find what suits YOU best.

Well, that's my two-pennuth.

Good Luck.

Chris.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back