• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Other" eye candy.... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
So these aren't from the "big 4." Not everyone has or needs a binocular from the "big 4" and other makes need to be included. Here's a few! Feel free to add on!

Here goes:

DSC_0139.jpeg

So here are some 42mm "other" binoculars.

Left to right back row: Vanguard Endeavor ED II 8X42, Opticron Verano BGA HD 8X42, Meopta Meostar B.1 7X42, and Vortex Diamondback HD 8X42
Left to right front row: Vanguard Endeavor ED IV 8X42, Opticron Discovery WP PC 7X42, GPO Passion ED 8X42

DSC_0143.jpeg

Everything besides 42mm...

Back row left to right: Vortex Viper HD 8X32(MIJ), Fujifilm TechnoStabi 12X28, Cabela's Guide Series 8X32, Swift Audubon HR/5 8.5X44
Front row: Pentax Papillo II 6.5X21, Fujifilm KF 8X25, Vortex Viper 8X28, Fujonon 8X23 AD

Last edited:
Niiice. So much, so interesting... want to try them all!!

I'm curious about your impressions on the Fujifilm 12x28 IS. How is the view? Is 12x too compromised for a 30 mm exit pupil?

Keep it coming!!

*I think there might be a small typo on the Opticron on the first picture, I think it's the Discovery (actually, I don't think there is a 7x42 T4 Trailfinder).

Niiice. So much, so interesting... want to try them all!!

I'm curious about your impressions on the Fujifilm 12x28 IS. How is the view? Is 12x too compromised for a 30 mm exit pupil?

Keep it coming!!

*I think there might be a small typo on the Opticron on the first picture, I think it's the Discovery (actually, I don't think there is a 7x42 T4 Trailfinder).
Thanks!

The 12X28 IS is pretty decent especially considering the price. The IS system does a good job but is hampered by the small EP, skimpy FOV, and lower quality optics. It's pretty good for the price paid.

And you are right about the Opticrons. I have both the T4 Trailfinder WP 8x42 and Discovery WP PC 7X42. Of all the makes and models of binoculars, Opticron is the hardest for me to remember. They don't keep a model long AND too many letters/numbers for a particular model. Thanks and I'll make the change.

They are sweet, especially the green one 🌞
Thanks! That's just a humble Tasco #116. Not as wide as the others but pretty nice, since the slightly narrower FoV also reduces field curvature as well as pincushion distortion and it has slightly more eye relief. All in all a pretty well rounded instrument. The one on top ("Olympia", J-B22) is however the most impressive with the widest FoV and it is the only one with BaK4 prisms. I love that one for stargazing. Feels like spacewalking because of the super wide angle.
I am still missing the widest 7x35 with more than 12° FoV. But I think they were never sold in Germany. At least I didn't come across one from a German seller yet.

Thanks! That's just a humble Tasco #116. Not as wide as the others but pretty nice, since the slightly narrower FoV also reduces field curvature as well as pincushion distortion and it has slightly more eye relief. All in all a pretty well rounded instrument. The one on top ("Olympia", J-B22) is however the most impressive with the widest FoV and it is the only one with BaK4 prisms. I love that one for stargazing. Feels like spacewalking because of the super wide angle.
I am still missing the widest 7x35 with more than 12° FoV. But I think they were never sold in Germany. At least I didn't come across one from a German seller yet.
For me this extreme wide FOV binoculars is really terra incognita but I snatched an Olympia 7x50 a few weeks ago for around 30 euro just to give it try. It’s not so bad as i feared, useful for helicopter spotting . There are a lot of helicopters flying over the river lately.

IMG_0350.jpeg

For me this extreme wide FOV binoculars is really terra incognito but I snatched an Olympia 7x50 a few weeks ago for around 30 euro just to give it try. It’s not so bad as i feared, useful for helicopter spotting . There are a lot of helicopters flying over the river lately.

View attachment 1527701
Ah, nice. I got one of those "Olympia" 7x50 wide angles too. Mine is also J-B22 like the 7x35 "Olympia", even though the logo is completely different. I saw other "Olympia" binos that were not by the same manufacturer however. It seems that name was randomly used by many companies.

Ah, nice. I got one of those "Olympia" 7x50 wide angles too. Mine is also J-B22 like the 7x35 "Olympia", even though the logo is completely different. I saw other "Olympia" binos that were not by the same manufacturer however. It seems that name was randomly used by many companies.
Mine say also says J-B22 but the J could also be a L. Laos ?😆

Here is the widest angle 7x35 available. The Linet Imperial 7x35 SWA 13.5 degree.

P7200331.JPGP7200332.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back