• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Other" eye candy.... (1 Viewer)

All but one (transition model) of the line up from the earliest Bak-4 Bushnell Rangemasters.

Oldest to newest from front:
FPO IF, FPO CF, FPO Silverline, also in front the 2.5x booster.
Back row: Kowa and the latest and last the Tamron Rangemaster.

Attachments

• A64071E1-A601-448B-BF8F-A3BF14A75BFD.jpeg
    A64071E1-A601-448B-BF8F-A3BF14A75BFD.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 0FC60507-779F-49B8-B8C9-BC37B4065721.jpeg
    0FC60507-779F-49B8-B8C9-BC37B4065721.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
  • FB7C72C8-005F-470B-A7FB-90878499162D.jpeg
    FB7C72C8-005F-470B-A7FB-90878499162D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 72B26C04-3424-4730-8CAC-88A460DA7C8A.jpeg
    72B26C04-3424-4730-8CAC-88A460DA7C8A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31
Well Pat, if you are referring to my photo of the Bushnell 7X32, they are in collimation, but er...... most of the field outside of center is well....distorted, more of a fun bin, I don't take too seriously.

The reviews of the binos with the mirrors in place of the prisms are usually not that favorable- An interesting concept. I was surprised to find out that in WWII, there was a binocular (Pioneer MK42?) that used mirrors- quite rare (10 made?). No word on the views as most of the mirrors have deteriorated.

It's still possible to find old binoculars in excellent condition like that. Quite a few people don't use their binoculars much (or keep them in good condition). You may have to spend more time than you'd like searching though, especially as widefield 7x35s seem to have been much less popular in Europe/the UK than in the US. Plus, thanks to proud owners telling the world how good their Rangemasters are, asking prices are a lot higher than they were 10 years ago. Given this, if you can find an example to try before you go down the rabbit hole, you definitely should.

It's still possible to find old binoculars in excellent condition like that. Quite a few people don't use their binoculars much (or keep them in good condition). You may have to spend more time than you'd like searching though, especially as widefield 7x35s seem to have been much less popular in Europe/the UK than in the US. Plus, thanks to proud owners telling the world how good their Rangemasters are, asking prices are a lot higher than they were 10 years ago. Given this, if you can find an example to try before you go down the rabbit hole, you definitely should.
Well said Patudo. As with any old vintage and classic binoculars, you have to take your time and don’t jump on the first one you see. It took me over two years to put this small collection together. I passed up a ton because some were ridiculous in price or the condition were not so good, not to mention how many times I was outbid. Sometimes when you take your time and have a lot of feelers out ,and watching all the auction sites you come across a few at the same time, which is what happened to me more than once. I agree I think the mystique has made these more desirable, and of course prices for everything is up over the last ten years, lol look at the last five years.

You know the routine, ask all the right questions (if the sellers know the answers), study the pictures (tells a lot), ask more questions and try to stay away from clunkers, unless your really handy and can service them yourself. Generally speaking if the glass and coatings are in good shape , spending $150-$250 on a good service makes some of these like new.

I know, I’ve harped about how good these are before, but they really do have a very unique and beautiful image quality that is much different than just about anything you can buy today. Some people would be shocked how good a good example of these 60-70 year old binoculars are. They really, truly make you rethink those $1000 binoculars that we all say are so good.

Paul

Last edited:
And which one is your favorite or are they all on same level?
They are pretty much the same. The oldest one has a slight yellow tint, similar to an old Zeiss Jena 8x30. The one I use the most is from the early 60s. But only because I haven't yet cleaned the prisms on the newer one.

Wasabrot, post 29,
On the WEB-site of House of Outdoor I have published a copy of my lecture at a meeting of the Binocular History Society about the history and the binoculars made by Hartmann. It also contains a comparison of the Hartmann binoculars with binoculars of other brands made in the same period of time the Hartmanns were in production.
Gijs van Ginkel

Wasabrot, post 29,
On the WEB-site of House of Outdoor I have published a copy of my lecture at a meeting of the Binocular History Society about the history and the binoculars made by Hartmann. It also contains a comparison of the Hartmann binoculars with binoculars of other brands made in the same period of time the Hartmanns were in production.
Gijs van Ginkel
Yes thanks, your report was the reason why after my first randomly buyed Porlerim I now own 6 Hartmanns . Based on your document and a lot of internet research i ended with a manufacture year to serial number diagram which I have posted here:

Every new sample I have found with proven manufacturing date fits very well to the graph.

Last edited:
Wasabrot, post 29,
Gijs van Ginkel
Is there English translation on the site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back