• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Overeager Beaver Introduction (1 Viewer)

Isurus

Hmmm. Not sure I approve of any aspect of this story really:

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2496638.ece
Today's Independent said:
Beavers make an unwelcome return after 250 years
By David Langton
Published: 30 April 2007
It is more than 250 years since beavers last roamed the waterways of Scotland. But despite the best efforts of the authorities to prevent a return, the wild beaver has made an unscheduled comeback in rural Perthshire.

A pair of the amphibious rodents have been found living in a lodge on the banks of a fisheries loch, almost certainly after having been released by well-meaning beaver-lovers.

Unfortunately the find appears to have generated as much anger as enthusiasm. The beaver's prodigious ability to gnaw through most material obstacles and block waterways with their dams has earned them a formidable array of human enemies.

In the past, proposals have been put forward to return beavers to the wild but have been blocked by farmers fearing damage to their land and stock.

Edwin Blake, Edinburgh Zoo's head keeper, has been tasked with reviving the forgotten art of beaver-trapping. He said: "Frankly releasing them was just stupidity as well as being illegal. If you are going to release these animals then it has to be part of a properly controlled and monitored experiment. These would be captive animals and it's not fair to dump them in the countryside."

The beaver, pursued for its pelt, is believed to have been hunted to the brink of extinction in Britain by the mid-18th century. Although some of the largely nocturnal vegetarians exist in enclosures on private Highland estates and in the Highland Wildlife Park, releases into the wild are banned.

When the Scottish Executive found out earlier this year that the beavers had set up home on the loch, Mr Blake was dispatched to capture them alive, beginning work on 2 April.

Almost a month into the gruelling task, which has seen him working in freezing, wet conditions, he has managed to trap one of the beavers using a metal cage baited with apples, carrots and turnips.

He said: "We floated some out in the loch on string near to where we thought the beavers came ashore so we could see from the teeth mark what animal we were dealing with. Then we baited the metal traps and covered the floor with natural vegetation, a beaver has sensitive feet and it would have suspected something wrong if it stepped on cold metal.

"And you can't expect to trap it straight away. They have to get used to the bait being around."

Mr Blake expressed surprise at having caught one of his quarry within a week, but the search for the elusive second beaver has proved more troublesome. He said: "There have been no new signs of beaver activity since we caught the first one so it may be that it has moved on somewhere else."

Meanwhile his captured friend has been taken to Edinburgh Zoo where scientists are still trying to determine the sex, clearly a more complicated task than one would at first assume.

But if the second animal does evade Mr Blake he, or she, may not be alone for much longer as Scottish Natural Heritage are pushing for eventual re-introduction. Stuart Brookes, head of conservation for the Scottish Wildlife Trust, said: "Beavers are very much back on the agenda."

If these chaps go unnoticed up there long enough to build a great big lodge near a fish farm one can only wonder again if and how many lynx and god knows what else are wandering the highlands......

Beavers (when not building dams) are not that obvious...
They have been reintroduced in the Netherlands (apparently dam construction is welcomed here... although I've seen in Minnesota what they can do to a ditch) and Belgium. The usual sightings are of traces (paw & gnawing marks), not of beaver architecture!

I'd echo the view that beavers are not always that obvious. I used to go fishing in a lake near where i lived and there were beavers in residence which would sometimes betray their prescence by a tail slap at dusk time and you would see them then but no large dams or lodges, just small piles at the side of the lake that could easily be mistaken for something else. Another time visiting a friend in Virginia they had a beaver in the backyard pond which wasn't too large and in a very suburban area.

It depends a bit on whether you are dealing with Canadian (introduced in some parts of Europe and spreading) or European subspecies (still present in some parts and reintroduced in others). European doesn't usually build dams and so on to the same scale as the Canadian subspecies and is said to have been displaced by Canadian in some places.

Obviously the unlawful release of these animals is not the way to go about it, but you can understand the frustrations of people keen to see beavers (and other species) reintroduced. Almost every EU country has reintroduced beavers and it is widely agreed that they are of benefit to the environment and not a threat in any way. Why was the reintroduction not approved in Britain?

Obviously the unlawful release of these animals is not the way to go about it, but you can understand the frustrations of people keen to see beavers (and other species) reintroduced. Almost every EU country has reintroduced beavers and it is widely agreed that they are of benefit to the environment and not a threat in any way. Why was the reintroduction not approved in Britain?

Here's the reason the licence application failed in Scotland:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Environment/Wildlife-Habitats/16330/Beaverapplication2

Load of tosh. It was mainly because one powful landowner opposed the reintroduction scheme, he had friends in high places and managed to get the majority of the local population to back him up (support for the scheme had been something like 70% before he interfered).

Jonathan

Yes I realise that it is these powerful landowners, but why are they allowed so much influence, and allowed to mislead the public? We are legally obliged to consider reintroductions under EU law, and surely the reasons given in oppositon to the beaver reintroduction scheme can be found to be invalid.

Thumbs down to Scots, who are so lazy in re-introducing beavers in the way they say is "proper" but very efficent in removing other ones.

:-(

I'd echo the view that beavers are not always that obvious.

Til your car disappears down a hole that wasn't there the week before! Happened on my land this week ...have two families on my land and I have to say their presence is VERY obvious, though I would not class it as negative in the big scale of things. I also have one pair of breeding Cranes, the wetland they nest on is largely thanks to the Beavers. Also, I would partly attribute the very high woodpecker density (seven species) to the large number of standing dead trees, a fair share of which are the result of Beaver action. Basically they add variety to the environment - I lose a lot of good trees to them, but against that I have open hazel groves due to the removal of birch and alder, etc. I curse my Beavers every time I see another tree down, but in reality they are welcome.

Obviously the unlawful release of these animals is not the way to go about it, but you can understand the frustrations of people keen to see beavers (and other species) reintroduced.

How would one even go about obtaining beavers to do this stealth reintroduction one wonders?

Yes I realise that it is these powerful landowners, but why are they allowed so much influence, and allowed to mislead the public? We are legally obliged to consider reintroductions under EU law

Well said. I always wondered why landowners receive half of EU budget in dotations but cannot be made to do more for environment?

Maybe some decent lawyer can make case that farmer gets dotations only when he/she applies to law and protects environment and this means also accepting beavers?

Beavers are now common in Poland, living everywhere including ditches in the middle of fields and suburban rivers and pools. They tolerate amazingly polluted, small and disturbed waters. They make problems, mainly in farmland flooding occassional field or meadow but there are ways to prevent it. One is resettling beavers to problem-free place - this should work in Britain for several decades. Other include: installing pipe across dam, destroying dam and shooting beavers.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back