• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PanaLaica 100-400 mk ii (1 Viewer)

Seems Panasonic might just be about to release a setup that might address the only drawbacks of my current one - this could get expensive!!

Can someone explain what this would do:
  • Image plane phase detection AF

Phase detection is part of the AF system in a lot of cameras but is only just making its way into M4/3. In older canon and nikons for example, there was a separate chip that was doing the phase detection, but it was not part of the sensor. That was one huge reason that these cameras sometimes needed to be corrected for front or back focus.

On recent mirrorless cameras, the sensor also is doing the phase detection, and that is what now makes its way to the Pana G9-ii. By having sensor and focusing integrated, there should not be much reason for thinking about back or front focusing issues. For the G9, the expectation is that the addition of phase detection can lead to improved tracking.
Niels

Phase detection is part of the AF system in a lot of cameras but is only just making its way into M4/3. In older canon and nikons for example, there was a separate chip that was doing the phase detection, but it was not part of the sensor. That was one huge reason that these cameras sometimes needed to be corrected for front or back focus.

On recent mirrorless cameras, the sensor also is doing the phase detection, and that is what now makes its way to the Pana G9-ii. By having sensor and focusing integrated, there should not be much reason for thinking about back or front focusing issues. For the G9, the expectation is that the addition of phase detection can lead to improved tracking.
Niels
Olympus has had phase detection focusing since the original OM-D E-M1, which came out in 2013.

WOW all the youtube is talking about it, and i am super excited and super jealous.

LOL check micro four nerd channel, she is wonderful.

Does the ability to take TCs mean it is a new optical design?
What other upgrades are there?
Below is a link to the description of the new lens at B&H photo. Claims it has enhanced macro capabilities, but I'm not sure how it does that because the minimum focusing distance looks like it's about the same. But if the claims about macro capabilities are accurate, I might be tempted. (Listed specs are inconsistent with text--specs say .25x macro and text says .5x.) Also says it now has a focus limiter switch--but the initial design already has one. Also claims it is 1 cm shorter.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._leica_dg_vario_elmar_100_400mm.html/overview

The corresponding text on DPReview:
What they write still makes no sense. The limiter switch is not new--despite the claim of it being a new feature; the photo shows the one already on the previous 100-400mm. No explanation of where the increased macro capabilities come from--is it magic?

Think I need to know the lens can collapse fully with a TC before I get interested - I am not totally sure from what I read, I know it operates at 210+ but it sys you don’t have to take it off I think, which would be good if so.

Think I need to know the lens can collapse fully with a TC before I get interested - I am not totally sure from what I read, I know it operates at 210+ but it sys you don’t have to take it off I think, which would be good if so.
The text at DPReview I think answered that question with yes. The rear lens moves away to allow the fit of the TC, but moves into operation location once you zoom in sufficiently. I hope I understand this correctly.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back