• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin China - ID Please (4 Viewers)

Thanks guys, sorry it is so tough

here is another shot of the same bird which I think is the yellow streaked

thanks again for your time and effort in doing this for me

cheers

Jamie

Attachments

• Yellowstreaked1.jpg
    Yellowstreaked1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 222
Hi Sid,

I was linking to a facially very similar BFBW Sid, pity about the internet big brother!

Interesting image, as you say, puffed up and at a slightly odd angle. I would have struggled with this one had it been posted looking for an Id.

The last image looks good for Yellow-streaked to me. Having said that I've found several birds in the past that looked good for YSW - thinner bill, super narrow at the rear - so I've made a point of following them until I've heard them call. They nearly always turn into Radde's. It's usually the distinctive call that draws me to a YSW.

Cheers

Frank

Sorry to be a pain, but can I throw this one into the pot too. I was told by a local birder that this is a juvenile black-faced bunting but I am not convinced. I thought may bhe a Pine or a Rustic - what's your thoughts???

cheers

Jamie

Attachments

• bunting.jpg
    bunting.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 228
Hi Jamie,

Its a Black-faced Bunting - Note the rump colouration, both Rustic and Pine show some chestnut - http://orientalbirdimages.org/birdi...es&Bird_ID=1945&Bird_Family_ID=166&pagesize=1 and http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/ind...country=&place=&order=lisays_paiva+DESC&sel=2

The eyestripe on the warbler is very thick (narrower in YSW), the overall tones fairly bright olive, even taking into consideration the light factor and despite the rather thin appearance of the bill and legs (female?) I'd lean towards Radde's from this shot. Any other shots of this bird?

Last edited:
Cheers Mark

I will see what I can find tomorropw I'm off to bed now. The strange thing is that the bired I posted earlier which was thought to be Radde's was very close in proximity to this one but looked completely different in fact a local birder first though a Tickell's leaf, but couldn't be certain as he always struggled with warbler lol

anywho thanks again and will catch up with you tomorrow

Hi Jamie - during autumn passage, with young and worn birds coming through, confusing must sometimes seem like an understatement!!!!! I'm at an advantage with Yellow-streaked at least my pictured birds are in the prime of their plumage and will often come out and 'play' when they hear the correct song.

With regard to head, throats and bills - although obscured by a branch - this Yellow-streaked is again an interesting subject.
Taken in alpine scrub at Baxi (between Rouergai and JZ) - these warblers don't get that much attention - since this habitat also has Blue-eared Pheasant, Chinese Grouse, Sichuan Jay and Snowy-cheeked Laughingthrush (to name a few). I'm afraid poor old YS is often placed pretty low on the wish-list when competing with that kind of star-studded line-up.

As far as Tickell's Warbler is concerned - aren't they pretty rare on the east coast - wouldn't a no-bar Phlyo that resembled Tickell's more likely to be the very similar Buff-throated Warbler (bird in second pic)?

Attachments

• ys.jpg
    ys.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Buff-throated Warbler.jpg
    Buff-throated Warbler.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 57
Hi China Guy
I agree with what you are saying and I am totally at the merci of those who know as I am not yet familiar with some of these warblers or this area. Unfortunately my book shows these birds in an almost cartoon style with rich colours which doesn't help!

good photos btw!

Can I ask whilst I got your attention are any of these or all Siberian Stonechat as my book only refers to it as the common!

thanks again

Jamie

Attachments

• sb1.jpg
    sb1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 49
  • sb2.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 47
  • SB3.jpg
    SB3.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 48
All Stonechats in China are now split into Siberian Stonechat - S. maurus - so your pics must be Siberian.
Saying that I haven't seen a Common Stonechat in years - and in all honesty can't give a list of definitive plumage differences.

As for books, you need - the Helm Guide to Birds Of East Asia - by Mark Brazil. That book has far superior illustrations. It's also useful in the wild west of Sichuan.

PS is your Chinese family force feeding you with those autumn festival moon cakes???? Some are edible - but those with preserved eggs inside are really super horrendous.

Stonechats, don't you just love them. Rather tricky complex I always feel. Very like Lesser Whitethroats in that respect.

Out of interest Mark, do you have anymore details on the Tickell's record? Would be interesting I think.

Cheers

Frank

Yup mooncakes everywhere all shapes and sizes and the relations get offended if you don't eat theirs!!! and she comes from a big family - well bang goes the diet.

I wouldn't put too much hope on the Tickell's The guy told me he was absolutely useless with warblers and by the way he 'Birded' I am suprised he see's anything.

Anyway thanks for all your help!

P.S I will get that book 'In Laws' got me a field guide to birds of China which set them back 85RB which is a lot for them so I couldn't really go and buy another

I can understand the problem with the warblers, the plates in the field guide are not really helpful and the text inconsistent. You'll just have to keep plugging away, good luck!

Thanks Mark. Where's the nearest population (to Beidaihe) of Rufous-gorgetted Fly's? Any ideas? See them in Yunnan. Can't remember if I saw them in Sichuan or Shaanxi - would have to check my notes.

Frank

Hi Frank - you certainly should have seen RGF in Sichuan - common bird at some of our more popular sites, especially Wawu and Wuyipeng.

And Jamie if Moon Cakes are the reward for taking part in this thread - don't expect no more help from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks China Guy.

I'll have seen plenty in that case. It's a bird I'm very familiar with, just can't remember off hand where I've seen them all. I need to be in 'birding mode' for the memory to kick-in properly.

Thanks

Frank

No worries China guy, I thought you must be sick of them by now -it is just that I have a few left over ;-)))

(Not quite on topic: some mooncakes are delicious - but better those without egg centers in my opinion!

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to all those celebrating - We're enjoying actually seeing the moon instead of clouds here!)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back