• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paphos Area (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
I fancy going to Cyprus during the winter. Flying in to Paphos. Which would be the best place to base myself for the best sites? I will be hiring a car.

There are many good areas to stay, but as you're hiring a car then I would suggest somewhere close to Paphos as a base....such as Mandria, which is where the regular ex pat birders congregate to watch for migrants and exchange info. Mourning doves live nearby.For a winter break it isn't too far from Anarita Park for Finsch's Wheatear. Also at Paphos Headland there are a few regular Greater Sand Plover whilst Kensington Cliffs has Griffon Vulture. The Akrotiri peninsula is only an hours drive away.
Depends how long you're going for as well. Triodos mountains will have some endemic for you as well.

Last edited:
There are many good areas to stay, but as you're hiring a car then I would suggest somewhere close to Paphos as a base....such as Mandria, which is where the regular ex pat birders congregate to watch for migrants and exchange info. Mourning doves live nearby.For a winter break it isn't too far from Anarita Park for Finsch's Wheatear. Also at Paphos Headland there are a few regular Greater Sand Plover whilst Kensington Cliffs has Griffon Vulture. The Akrotiri peninsula is only an hours drive away.
Depends how long you're going for as well. Triodos mountains will have some endemic for you as well.

Thanks for that. Planning three or four weeks.

That's a good amount of time and you can certainly cover the Greek part right over to the East ( Cape Greco ) area plus Larnaca sewage works and the pools near there.
P

If you are hiring a car then all sites are accessible so where you base yourself is not really an issue? Also, 3 or 4 weeks around December/January i.e., Winter, wouldn't be anywhere near as productive as 3 or 4 weeks in March/April where Spring migration will be in full swing! Something for you to consider in your planning.

Shane

3 or 4 weeks around December/January i.e., Winter, wouldn't be anywhere near as productive as 3 or 4 weeks in March/April where Spring migration will be in full swing! Something for you to consider in your planning.

Shane

Thanks for that. The only time I can get over is December/January. Would it be a waste of time that time of year?

No, not at all John! There are plenty of resident birds around and winter visitors, for example we get Wall Creepers in the Avakas Gorge in those months, plus there will be plenty of ducks, waders, gulls, etc and of course Griffon Vultures all year round.

Shane

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back