• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paramo clothing for birders (1 Viewer)

oetzi

Paramo clothing for birders: Halcon Waistcoat and Katmai Light Shirt

At this years outdoor show at Friedrichshafen I met Nikwax owner Nick brown who also happens to own Paramo. Now this manufacturer of outdoor clothing is quite well-known in the english speaking world, but normally not so in germany. Since I happen to own a Fuera Smock since several years – great piece of kit, btw – I was quite thrilled when Nick offered me to try some stuff suitable for a birder.

I choose the Men´s Katmai Light Shirt and the Halcon Waistcoat. The ladies will find the stuff here (the Sakura being the equivalent for the Katmai)
http://www.naturallyparamo.co.uk/Garments/Summer-and-Travel/Ladies-Summer-and-Travel
and the blokes here
http://www.naturallyparamo.co.uk/Garments/Summer-and-Travel/Mens-Summer-and-Travel

The shirt first. Looking at the specs its a plain lightweight shirt made from some synthetic fabric, but the claim of “Biting insects are deterred by the dense fabric weave and can be shut out at the collar and cuffs” got me interested. This was a midge´s summer and I gotten bitten every time, so why not try this shirt.

The Katmai´s fabric is incredibly smoooth and densely weaved, this I noticed first and it reminded me of a nylon windshell. But smooth as the surface is, it still has a textile feel. There is none of this sticking-to-the-sweaty-skin experience, so a shirt it is. UV-protection is claimed to be SPF 50+, thats a very good value for such a thin fabric.

Two large and velcro´ed chest pockets it has, but there are more pockets to find at closer inspection. Inside the left pocket is an additional zippered pocket, under the right one and accessible from outside with a vertical zip, is another very big one. Its roomy enough to fit a big map. So documents, cash or a camera´s memory card can be tucked away safely. Cut is romy and comfortable, freedom of movement in the arms is provided, as a good shirt should be. The seams along the shoulders a flat, nothing rubbing with a backpack, etc.

Buttons on this shirt are very closely spaced, probably to prevent insects from entering. Thats a nice feature and shows some serious attention to details. What really sets the Katmai apart from other shirts are the cuffs. They are of the closed-to-the-edge variety and show a velcro colsure. Like with a decent jacket, the cuffs can be closed snug around the wrists and prevent anything to crawl up the sleeves.

When worn, the Katmai proved to be immensely comfortable in the hot weather we experienced lately. Even at 35° Celsius it was comfortable to wear at the midge-infested lakes. Speaking of midges, I wasnt bitten once thorugh the fabric! My other hot weather favourite, lightweight linen, was distinctivly lacking in this department.

The fabric is called Parameta® A Light and its definitly one of the best lightweight synthetic fabrics I have ever worn. Believe me, after 25 years in outdoor/mountaineering retail I have worn about everything.

When its hot, this one is the winner. Now when it gets colder, thats a different story. A smooth and thin fabric like this doesnt provide much warmth, so thin and long-sleeved underwear had to be worn from an early stage. Well, they dont call it “light” for nothing.

The Halcon waistcoat is one of the garmets that makes you think twice. It quite looks like one of these horrble “photographer´s vest” from the eighties. Wearing one, you look like an american on safari who has accidentally choosen the wrong continent.

But the thought of lots of (generous) pockets to pack binoculars and field guide, being able to leave bag or pack at home, made it worthwhile to suffer a bit in terms of dignity and fashion.

Also, Paramo claims the Halcon to be “Engineered to distribute the weight of equipment carried across the whole shoulder area to minimise any neck discomfort” and provide “Cushioning on shoulders for comfort and protection from straps.” Great idea, my neck hurts even from my lightweight 8x binoculars and I am old enough to enjoy a bit comfort here and there.

Parameta A® Cotton+ the fabric is called and its a cotton/polyester (73/27%) mix with ripstop reinforcments. Proved to be adequately shower- and windproof when collecting it at the post office since it was the only extra garment available when cycling home in my shirttails. As good as a waistcoat can be, that ist. At least, it provided much needed torso-protection and prevented me from getting too cold.

The Halcon is equipped with a big, YKK two-way zipper, which makes having a slash or kneeling on the ground a breeze. The latter feature being assisted by side-slits equipped with press studs. Whether sitting on the bike or kneeling on the ground, nothing was restricting me.

The cut is a bit odd and not only because of the shape of my body. The Halcon is very roomy around the chest, very very roomy in fact. At the waist it gets distinctively narrower and with the side slits it tapers out again a bit at the bottom. So if you, like the author, are no longer as athletically build as you once were, it definitely pays to go one up in size.

Pocket-wise the Halcon really shines. Paramo claims 14 and initially I only found 12. The last two being hidden inside the chest pockets. There are pockets inside the pockets!
-Thwo press-studded bellowed lower pockets with handwarmer pockets behind them.
-Two press-studded chest pockets with additional pockets inside, the left one also features a slot for glasses.
-Two very large zippered pockets on the outside behind the upper bellow pockets
-Two zippered inside pocket at chest-heigth.
-Two open inside pockets at the bottom.
So there is plenty room to stash things.

About everything fits inside. A field guide? No problem. A 10×50 Porro in those big ones at the chest? No problem, either, with room to spare. In fact, you can carry everything but the kitchen sink when out birding.

My standard was a mFT camera in the right zippered chest pocket and the binoculars in the left. Field guide in one lower bellows pocket, odds and ends or another lens in the other. The wallet was safely tucked inside the waistcoat and then I havent even remotely run out of storage space.

As of the claim to support weight evenly across the shoulders I did an experiment. The four biggest pockets were filled with ten bottles of germanies finest-beer. Thats about 9Kg worth of liquid and glass. And the claim was true, the shoulders of the Halcon distributed the weight evenly over my shoulders, it was as much a pleasure to carry as possible.

So my conclusion ist, this is first rate stuff. I even wont send it back, Paramo will have to bill me. And its a rare thing nowadays that I buy new stuff. My wardrobe is already overflowing, I own more than I can ever wear out. So shelling out money means, this is really great stuff.

The Halcon still looks odd, at least in my eyes. It will be used for a purpose in the woods, only. The practical value is that good. The Katmai has also proved to be one fine everyday shirt, too. And its stylish enough to fit into my way of dressing. Functionally, both are heartily recommended.

With autumn rapidly approaching over here, I will try to have a look at more stuff from Paramo. Who knows, maybe I can give that new Halcon Traveller jacket a try or one of their insulative garments. I will keep you posted.

Attachments

• DSCF4520.jpg
    DSCF4520.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 272
  • P7303629.jpg
    P7303629.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 215
  • P7303636.jpg
    P7303636.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 284
  • P7313660.jpg
    P7313660.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 296
  • P7313659.jpg
    P7313659.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Some more pictures

Attachments

• P7303644.jpg
    P7303644.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 971
  • P8153718.jpg
    P8153718.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 312
  • P8153717-1.jpg
    P8153717-1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 409
  • P8153715-1_cr.jpg
    P8153715-1_cr.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 636
  • P8153714-1_cr.jpg
    P8153714-1_cr.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 445
Couldn't have said it better myself Oetzi. If you are prepared to pay the price premium, Paramo is one of the best designed, made and performing ranges of outdoor gear you will find - and I don't have any connection with Paramo! I own a Cascada jacket, Fuera smock & Torres gilet which I use for birding, and all are excellent; buy with confidence but check sizing first as I have found them to be quite 'generous'.

LL

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but i've just ordered online a Paramo Men's Halcon Waterproof Jacket in the extra large size as my old jacket is falling apart after many many years of wear. I'd seen the reviews of this jacket which where very excellent reports and it looks very stylish with plenty of deep sized pockets or should i say lots and lots of them and very good quality for walking or any outdoor activities including birdwatching. Has anyone on these forums bought this jacket and what are there opinions of this make, either good or bad?;);)
Ian.

I have this in jacket and find it excellent, I wear ventile in average weather, and this in winter and when the real bad weather comes in, never leaked and breathes well.Sizes are big for under clothes, loads of features, just a comfort to have, regards Dylan.

I have this in jacket and find it excellent, I wear ventile in average weather, and this in winter and when the real bad weather comes in, never leaked and breathes well.Sizes are big for under clothes, loads of features, just a comfort to have, regards Dylan.

Thanks for that information. I actually have received my Paramo Waterproof Jacket since I posted on the 10th May and I think it is absolutely fantastic quality. How often does the Jacket need washing and re-waterproofing.
Ian.

It all depends on wear, whether you use a rucksack with it or not, gently walking, or scrabbling and going through hedges /undergrowth etc.I find that when the water stops beading off its time to think about reproofing, but I've left it a lot longer and had no problems, cheers Dylan.

After a while since anyone posted in this thread, I've had to send my Paramo Halcon Waterproof Jacket back as faulty as a lot of the stitching came away from the inside of one of the deep pockets based on the outside of the Jacket and they have sent me back in return a brand new replacement. Apart from that one fault it was an absolutely amazing waterproof Jacket. I will be keeping a close watch on the Jacket, just in case another fault appears again.
Ian.

I am still using my first Paramo jacket, bought in the Outdoor shop in Ulverston, Cumbria about 20 years ago. They are probably gone now. The brand was used by the local mountain rescue people at the time, not sure of they still, sue them? Compared to their newer jacket it is a tad dull, plain dark navy blue. Two outer pockets and one inner. I refurbish the jacket every now and then, on an ad hoc basis, not as often as I should, and it keeps me warm and dry in any weather.

Looking back the best jacket I have ever bought.

It has a small rip that I have never bothered to have repaired, doesn't bother me, nor does the dull colour. It is no fashion statement, just a functional practical piece of kit.

If you buy a Paramo jacket, you may never have to buy another outdoor walking jacket? Or you may?

a warm and dry in his old Paramo oldbaldman

The Halcon waistcoat is one of the garmets that makes you think twice. It quite looks like one of these horrble “photographer´s vest” from the eighties. Wearing one, you look like an american on safari who has accidentally choosen the wrong continent.

I had to Chuckle!~... :)

Love the beer can props though....jim

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back