• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Care - Traveling to Honduras Mainland and Roatan (1 Viewer)

Wmugrad28

United States
I am planning a trip to mainland Honduras and Roatan and would like to know if I should be concerned or taking any special steps with my binoculars from the rainforest moisture/humidity AND from the ocean salty air. I plan to keep them out of sight and always in a case when not in use, but I try to keep my lenses from getting stuff on them so I don’t have to clean them but rarely. I do use lens caps on both ends when not looking through them. I do not plan (at the moment) to bring them to the beach, but I will use them for general travel purposes and may get to do a short eco/birding tour. For my family I am thinking about bringing my Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 and Swarovski 8x30 Cl B and/or maybe a Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 if I can find a good deal on one. I know the two I have seem to handle glare/sun well, but I don’t know what to expect for the points of concern that I mentioned.

Thanks!

Based on my experience, the bigger issue is exposure to salt and sand on the beach. Rinse the bins gently with fresh water and dry them off as soon as you can if you wind up using them on the beach. In terms of high heat and humidity and hands sweating you could do the same thing, especially with the Swaros. Have a good safe trip.

Mike

I've been to Roatan a few times. Really nothing to be concerned about. It's beautiful but much more crowded than it used to be. GREAT snorkeling BTW!

Believe it or not I used the CL and CL B 8X30s on Roatan on two trips. We stayed along the inland side. Also there are reefs along the seaward side that block most of the surf. I never had any issues with either binocular and haven't washed either to this date other than very occasionally cleaning the lenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back