• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parkgate Spring high tide (1 Viewer)

It came right up to the seawall but, there were few raptors ( between Cottage Lane, Gayton and the Old Baths ). I managed 1 ringtail Hen Harrier, 2 SEO's 2 Peregrine and a Kestrel. Also 6 Water Rail ( I only saw 2 ), 4 Jack Snipe, next to The Boathouse, plenty of Common Snipe, 200 Pinkfeet, 60+ Little Egret ( no sign of Great Egret ), at least 100 Sky Lark ( mainly in a single flock ) plus the "usual stuff". There was a good selection of mammals, mainly at the corner of the Old Baths, with Pygmy, Common and Water Shrew, Harvest Mouse, Field Vole, Eur. Mole and Red Fox. The tide may be even better tomorrow as there is supposed to be a bit of wind behind it. :t:

Last edited:
There today plenty of curlews 1 short eared owl great white egret 2 med gulls but did not stay to the top of the tide as we wanted to get out the car park was full to busting ,then went to see the long eared owl at Burton mere

It came right up to the seawall Also 6 Water Rail ( I only saw 2 )
:

We were fortunate to see 6 from where we stood. 3 landed very close to us within a 10/15 minute spell. All 3 found shelter under reeds and one of them was within 5 feet of the wall and directly in front of us but so well camoflaged it was virtually impossible to see.........quite amazing.

On Saturday we got 1 Hen Harrier, 2 Merlin, 2 Peregrine, 1 Sparrowhawk, 2-3 S E owl, 2 Great White Egrets, 1 Rock Pipit, 1 Grey Wagtail and about 20-30 Twite - the last being the bird of the day for me at Parkgate. A suspected Water Pipit also.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back