• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Passeriformes (1 Viewer)

If you read Laurent's October 2021 post and read the links Bonaparte in 1830 creates Erythrospiza with 8 species as cotypes and does not pick a solo type. In that situation we are dealing with Code art. 69.1 type by subsequent designation.
Laurent in October 2021 post lists what I call Bonaparte 1832 as the publication which chose purpurea as the type. In Bp 1832 is a footnote that quotes a letter from Swainson where he says to (whom I do not know?) Bonaparte sent me Bonaparte 1830 and I accept genus Erythrospiza and pick purpurea as type. Swainson 1837 sets up Haemorhous and lists purpurea and frontalis in the genus. I do not see him picking one only as the type there but perhaps some other author does elsewher? The taxa frontalis is now a subspecies of (H.?) mexicanus.

Last edited:
More fun with finches.

The OD of the House Finch is Statius Muller 1776.

53. Der mexicanische Finch. Fringilla Mexicana.

In Mexicomohnet ein brauner Finch, dessen Ropf und Rehle gelb ist der Bauch aber der hat blasse schmarze Flechen auf einem blassen Grunde Buffon.

I did not translate the fractur type right because the google translate English does not make sense. Bu it mentions Mexican Finch yellow and Buffon so it is based on Pl. En. Buffon no 386

9 - Carl von Linné, Vollständiges Natursystem - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

t.4 - Planches enluminées d'histoire naturelle - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

I think I found the inspiration of Swainson’s 1837 genus name, Haemorhous. In 1830 Lichtenstein created a finch species name Fringilla haemorrhoa.

Jahrg.11=no.61-66 (1863) - Journal für Ornithologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Thus we can assume that neither Swainson nor Lichtenstein were aware of Statius Muller’s name nor the planche it is based on. Because you would not use a Greek word for blood to name a yellow variant finch as the bird drawn by Buffon/Daubeton/Martinet was.

The 1832 work is a posthumous edition of Alexander Wilson's American Ornithology (with a continuation by Bonaparte, albeit I'm not sure what Bonaparte's contribution actually was), completed with notes and edited by William Jardine.
The species accounts in this ed. start with Wilson's original name and synonymy; this is followed with a "current" name accepted by the editor and a continuation of the synonymy quoting works posterior to Wilson. Then comes Wilson's text.
In this particular footnote, Jardine says Bonaparte had forwarded his work to him, in which he included purpurea and frontalis in a separate subgenus Erythrospiza, which he (Jardine) adopted in the present work, with purpurea as typical and a variety of other species included.
(Indeed the "current" name of the Purple Finch on p. 119 is Erythrospiza purpurea Bonaparte.)
This is clearly a type designation for Erythrospiza, and supercedes that of Gray 1840.

"The "bruant du Mexique" here is clearly a Zonotrichia in Arremonidae."
No the bird on the top of planche 386 is fig 2 Bruant du cap (Good Hope) which is Zonotrichia capensis. From Mexico to South America. Fringilla mexicana was Statius Muller bird 53 but bird 52 is the OD of Z. capensis. It mentions Buffon in relation to the planche. "bruant du Mexique" fig. 1 is a yellow variant House Finch.

In Mexicomohnet ein brauner Finch, dessen Ropf und Rehle gelb ist der Bauch aber der hat blasse schmarze Flechen auf einem blassen Grunde Buffon

I did not translate the fractur type right because the google translate English does not make sense. Bu it mentions Mexican Finch yellow and Buffon so it is based on Pl. En. Buffon no 386

It says :

In Mexico wohnet ein brauner Fink, dessen Kopf und Kehle gelb ist, der Bauch aber hat blasse schwarze Flecken auf einem blasse Grunde. Buffon.

Thank you Laurent.
“In Mexico wohnet ein brauner Fink, dessen Kopf und Kehle gelb ist, der Bauch aber hat blasse schwarze Flecken auf einem blasse Grunde. Buffon.”

This bird took a wrong turn. Gmelin 1788 used the same name but one of his sources was Latham’s Mexican Siskin.

Tom. 1 Pars. 2 - Caroli a Linné. Systema naturae per regna tria naturae - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Latham was not insane the yellow House Finch has some streaking on yellow background like the Pine Siskin. Early 1800’s American ornithologist considered yellow variant House Finch a siskin.

In 1831 the Jameson edition of Wilson almost gets the situation correct.

He says that Fringilla Mexicana “may prove to be the female of our bird” (Pine Siskin) “or the male in an imperfect state of plumage” The yellow House Finch may be caused by a generally unhealthy bird, a diseased bird (pox) or one not eating a healthy diet which does not have the right chemicals to make the feathers red. Jameson mentions Say 1823 if only he said Fringilla mexicanas is Fringilla frontalis he would have been the first to get it right.

v.4 (1831) - American ornithology, or, The natural history of the birds of the United States - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Jameson did not get the memo from Bonaparte and so did not use Erythrospiza .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back