• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Patience (1 Viewer)

Missy_MT_AK

United States
As a newbie, I am learning the value of patience.
For example, I entered a cattail marsh at 1pm in the afternoon to set up a popup blind.
Most of the ducks flew away when I was over 100 meters from the marsh.
I set up the popup blind anyways and got comfortable in a chair.
A few coots stayed and a pair of buffleheads 200 meters away on the other side
After about 4 hours, some mallards flew in but they were quickly out of sight in a cattail cove.
About an hour before sunset, a pair of redheads landed about 100 meters away but swam away from my location.
DSCN0869.JPG
Eventually after waiting about an hour, a relaxed drake swam within 20 meters of my blind as the sun was setting. A magical moment!
redhead_sunset.jpg

WOW! GREAT PHOTOS!
I too am a new birdwatcher. I watch doves. Two doves and a baby egg have taken residence in a fern hanging from my porch. I look at them all day through my window and find them gazing back at me. I have never known love such as this. The love of a bird family. Thank you for being so welcoming as a community and reinforcing my love of these majestic creatures. Dove is love. Dove is life.

WOW! GREAT PHOTOS!
I too am a new birdwatcher. I watch doves. Two doves and a baby egg have taken residence in a fern hanging from my porch. I look at them all day through my window and find them gazing back at me. I have never known love such as this. The love of a bird family. Thank you for being so welcoming as a community and reinforcing my love of these majestic creatures. Dove is love. Dove is life.
I grew up in New Jersey and the call of morning doves is a great childhood memory.
I spent the last 30 years in interior Alaska and we recently moved to Montana.
So I am enjoying all the species (especially waterfowl) that do not occur in interior Alaska.
We have a large pasture, so we put up some bluebird boxes, but I think a bit too late this year.
Hope to have a nesting pair next spring. There is something so peaceful about bluebirds.
westernbluebird_fenceline_cropped.JPG

I grew up in New Jersey and the call of morning doves is a great childhood memory.
I spent the last 30 years in interior Alaska and we recently moved to Montana.
So I am enjoying all the species (especially waterfowl) that do not occur in interior Alaska.
We have a large pasture, so we put up some bluebird boxes, but I think a bit too late this year.
Hope to have a nesting pair next spring. There is something so peaceful about bluebirds.
View attachment 1578876
Wow, incredible! Maybe instead of bluebirds if it’s too late for them then you can see some doves!
Do you have doves in Montana? If so, they like ferns apparently!
Please keep me updated as you go throughout the year and discover your many bird friends!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back