• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 6.5x21 and 8.5x21 differences (1 Viewer)

You seem to have the same experiences I had 10 years ago when comparing the 2. I thought the 8.5's were a no go due to ER and the smaller exit pupil. I have the same black out/kidney beaning issues with most small 8x20 roofs as well, preferring 8x25's.
The question going thru my mind the last couple of days is I wonder if anyone knows whether the coatings have been upgraded on the Papilios since 2016 ??
Although I have 2 pairs of 6.5's, with one in unopened box, this blue model has attracted my attention (blue being my favorite color). Only info I could find was that WWF wildlife federation in India teamed up with Pentax in 2016 to produce the blue 6.5 and a green 8.5.
If the coatings are the same as current models, I would gladly pay the extra $25 to own this blue wonder.:)
Well, it seems a Papillio II and it's certainly better optically than the I. I've never read here a change in the II's the years. A nice one, that bluey!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back