• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine Falcon Harvest being Considered (1 Viewer)

tburke

The US Fish and Wildlife Service is considering permitting the taking of as many as 2000 immature Tundra Peregrine Falcons by licensed falconers.
The birds would be taken during Fall migration.
I'm not sure this is a great idea.
Whether the Tundra sub-species can tolerate the take is one issue.I'm afraid permitting captur of any wild peregrines could open the door to unscrupulous individuals who might target the less numerous Anatum race.

It's just stupid full stop! Why do they need to take peregrines from anywhere in the wild? It's ludicrous, there are plenty of captive peregrine we don't need to harvest the wild anymore. It's typical of people to have this atitude, if something becomes remotely common, it is either killed, or in this case removed from the wild, and we go crazy when something is on the decline. When will people ever learn that in most of these wildlife cases it should be left alone!

The US Fish and Wildlife Service must be made up of a bunch of crackpots. It is deplorable to even consider it. Money talks.

Dear NAFA Member,
These are exciting times for American falconers! For the first time in roughly 40 years, we are on
the verge of having federal regulations that will allow for the take of a falconry raptor of iconic
proportions, the passage peregrine falcon.
Please find enclosed a sample letter for submission to the US Fish and Wildlife Service (Service)
advocating for the take of passage peregrine falcons for falconry purposes. I want to emphasize
that we need an overwhelming response during this comment period. Everyone and their mother
who is a falconer or a friend of falconry must send a letter in to the US Fish and Wildlife Service
supporting this take. I also want to emphasize that the letters sent should be individually written
and that simple “form letters”, such as copying the enclosed letter exactly, do not carry much
weight with the Service. We have also included a set of bulleted talking points that NAFA
members and their friends can use to shape their individual letters to the Service. Please use one
or more of the bulleted talking points in your letter to the Service to create an individual response
regarding the take. An important point is to make sure you clearly state early in your letter that
you support the take of passage peregrine falcons in the US for falconry, no matter what
option you might advocate in your personal letter to the Service. Comments must be received by
the closing date of February 11, 2008.
Please address your comment letter to:
Chief, Division of Migratory Birds
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
4401 North Fairfax Drive, Room 634
Arlington, VA 22203-1610
Alternately you may submit your comments electronically to: [email protected] .
We are providing this information to make it as easy as possible for you, as a NAFA member, to
be part of the American process of participating in getting new rules to allow for an expansion of
our falconry opportunities in America. Any legal expansion of falconry rules, based on sound
biological science, is a benefit to all falconers everywhere. Whether you plan on flying a passage
peregrine in the future or not, you can be part of this historic process; please don’t let it slip by.
We will also post this information on the NAFA website in the Members area. NAFA will be
working with the Service to address the total number of passage birds allowed to be taken
annually to get the highest biologically sound number possible for American falconers!
This is an area that NAFA and NAFA members have been working on for many years
encompassing thousands of hours to get to this point. We can see the light at the end of this
tunnel. If each and every one of you receiving this letter simply takes 15 minutes to create a letter
to the USFWS supporting a passage take of peregrine falcons for falconry within the US, I’m sure
we can get this accomplished for ourselves and for American falconers yet to be!
Sincerely,
Dan Cecchini, Jr.
NAFA, President-elect

tburke makes no mention if the post is "for information" only or if he/she is advocating the actions proposed.

In either case the post should be removed - as should his/her membership of Birdforum if he/she is advocating the action proposed.

Gordon

I don't think any self-respecting bird wathcer would agree with this, destroying nature is all you are advocating. Human greed playing a pivotal role in this semseless act. I am against it.

Is this post a joke? Just how are they going to catch these peregrines while on migration - fly after them and snatch them out of the air? or perhaps throw nets over them while they are roosting? I believe it is only young birds which can be trained for falconry so what will they do with any adult birds that are caught. Like I said at the start I think this post is a wind up!

Is this post a joke? Just how are they going to catch these peregrines while on migration - fly after them and snatch them out of the air? or perhaps throw nets over them while they are roosting? I believe it is only young birds which can be trained for falconry so what will they do with any adult birds that are caught. Like I said at the start I think this post is a wind up!
I am not advocating harvest of peregrine falcons.
The purpose was to alert interested forum members to a proposed action being considered by US Fish and Wildlife service.
Message #4 contains a link to USFWS where those who oppose harvest can simply register their objection.
The USFWS is being lobbied by a very focused organization (North American Falconry Association).
Rather than scold a forum member, it might be more productive to send off a comment to the appropriate regulatory agency.

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
Fish and Wildlife Service
Take of Migrant Peregrine Falcons in
the United States for Use in Falconry
AGENCY: Fish and Wildlife Service,
Interior.
ACTION: Notice of availability.
SUMMARY: This notice is to announce the
availability of a Draft Environmental
Assessment and Management Plan
(DEA) for take of migrant peregrine
falcons (Falco peregrinus) in the United
States for use in falconry.
DATES: Comments on the Draft
Environmental Assessment and
Management Plan are due by February
11, 2008.
ADDRESSES: The document is available
from, and written comments about it
should be submitted to, Chief, Division
of Migratory Bird Management, U.S.
Fish and Wildlife Service, 4401 North
Fairfax Drive, Room 634, Arlington, VA
22203–1610. The fax number for a
request or for comments is 703–358–
2272. You can request a copy of the
DEA by calling 703–358–1714. The DEA
also is available on the Division of
Migratory Bird Management Web site at
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Dr.
George Allen, Division of Migratory Bird
Management, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service, at 703–358–1714.
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The
peregrine falcon is found almost
worldwide. It is found throughout much
of North America from the subarctic
boreal forests of Alaska and Canada
south to Mexico. The Arctic peregrine
falcon (F. p. tundrius) nests in the
tundra of Alaska, Canada, and
Greenland, and is typically a longdistance
migrant, wintering as far south
as South America. The American
peregrine falcon (F. p. anatum) occurs
throughout much of North America
from the subarctic boreal forests of
Alaska and Canada south to Mexico.
The American peregrine falcon nests
from central Alaska, central Yukon
Territory, and northern Alberta and
Saskatchewan, east to the Maritimes and
south throughout western Canada and
the United States to Baja California,
Sonora, and the highlands of central
Mexico. However, it is not found in
areas of the Pacific Northwest occupied
by the Peales’s peregrine falcon (F. p.
pealei), a year-round resident of the
northwest Pacific coast from northern
Washington to the Aleutian Islands.
Peregrine falcons declined
precipitously in North America
following World War II, a decline
attributed largely to organochlorine
pesticides, mainly DDT, applied in the
United States and Canada. Because of
the decline, we listed the Arctic and
American peregrine falcon subspecies
were listed as endangered under the
Endangered Species Act (16 U.S.C. 1531
et seq. on October 13, 1970 (35 FR
16047).
We removed the Arctic peregrine from
the Federal List of Endangered and
Threatened Wildlife on October 5, 1994
(59 FR 50796) but still regulated this
species under the Act in the contiguous
U.S. due to the similarity of appearance
provision for all peregrine falcons; the
American peregrine falcon remained
listed as endangered. However, on
August 25, 1999, we removed the
American peregrine from the list (64 FR
46541) because the subspecies had
considerably exceeded the recovery
goals set for it in most areas.
Anticipating delisting, in June 1999,
the States, through the International
Association of Fish and Wildlife
Agencies, had proposed allowing take of
migrant peregrines for falconry. In an
October 4, 1999, Federal Register notice
(64 FR 53686), we stated that we would
consider a conservative level of take of
migrant peregrine falcons in the United
States. The DEA we announce in this
notice is required as part of our
consideration of allowing the take of
migrant peregrines.
In the DEA, we considered six
alternatives to address potential take of
migrant peregrine falcons in the United
States and Alaska. Under the No-Action
Alternative, no legal take of migrant
peregrine falcons for falconry could
occur. We also evaluated alternatives
that would allow take in different
locations and at different times.
The preferred alternative is to allow
take of peregrine falcons between
September 20th and October 20th from
areas of the continental areas south of
31degrees North latitude and east of 100
degrees West longitude, and within the
State of Alaska. The allowed take would
be consistent with management goals
outlined in the DEA, and would be very
unlikely to have negative effects on any
portion of the populations of peregrine
falcons in North America or Greenland.
Most of the alternatives would require
reductions in the allowed take of
nestling American peregrine falcons in
the 12 western States in which it is
allowed. We propose to allow the
decisions on allocation of the reduced
take of nestlings to the States
themselves, with the recommendations
made through the Flyway Councils.
Kenneth Stansell,
Acting Director, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service.

I hope some are now aware of the original poster's intentions (which seemed fairly clear to me from the first post?)... i.e. trying to get those who oppose the proposal to make their feelings known to USF&W and not lets it go through unopposed.

Peregrine Harvest

Personally I don't have a problem with a sustainable harvest of Peregrines or any other Raptor and wish the NAFA best of luck, as this will increase the captive Gene-pool of Falcons in captivity should the population crash in the future.As responsible falconers and Conservationists NAFE members would offer any birds in the event of a population crash to breeding programs like the Peregrine Fund so young could be hacked back as they have in the past.lets face it I doubt if the Peregrine would have recovered without the help of American Falconers.Sitting on your butt watching a small population inbreed doesnt work ask the RSPB thay wasted 50 years on the Red Kite when the way forward was proposed as early as the 1970s ie reintroduction.Fortunatly the government led the way releasing a mixed Gene pool of birds and now Red Kites have a future

Personally I don't have a problem with a sustainable harvest of Peregrines or any other Raptor and wish the NAFA best of luck, as this will increase the captive Gene-pool of Falcons in captivity should the population crash in the future.As responsible falconers and Conservationists NAFE members would offer any birds in the event of a population crash to breeding programs like the Peregrine Fund so young could be hacked back as they have in the past.lets face it I doubt if the Peregrine would have recovered without the help of American Falconers.Sitting on your butt watching a small population inbreed doesnt work ask the RSPB thay wasted 50 years on the Red Kite when the way forward was proposed as early as the 1970s ie reintroduction.Fortunatly the government led the way releasing a mixed Gene pool of birds and now Red Kites have a future

Complete rubbish.

"Harvest of peregrines" will be a short lived abomination on here, I'm sure.

Why would peregrines decline if not for people? Taking them from the wild will no doubt cause a decline, its hardly going to cause an increase is it? Look what happened to the passenger pigeon, people hunted it because they though it would never dissapear and where is it now? EXTINCT! People always interfere with nature, and n most cases it is for the worse.

Havesting Peregrines

Why would peregrines decline if not for people? Taking them from the wild will no doubt cause a decline, its hardly going to cause an increase is it? Look what happened to the passenger pigeon, people hunted it because they though it would never dissapear and where is it now? EXTINCT! People always interfere with nature, and n most cases it is for the worse.

Harvesting Peregrines has gone on for over two thousand years with little effect on the population in Europe. Raptors are still under threat not from Falconers but from are industrial process.PCB have been and still can be found in birds and eggs as well as fire retardant chemicals used in paint.To think we won with DDT and all will be well in the future is living in cloud cookoland

Young birds known as eyasses can be used for falconry but in times gone past passage birds (wild 1st year birds) and haggards (wild adult birds) were also to be used, passage birds were often seen as the best alternative as they had already learn't how to hunt for themselves, unlike the novice eyass.

Not all falconers are uncaring baddies, goshawks were reintroduced thanks to many falconers captive breeding efforts not to mention peregrines.

There are bad people who are willing to break the law everwhere for instance egg thieves.

Red Kite when the way forward was proposed as early as the 1970s ie reintroduction.Fortunatly the government led the way releasing a mixed Gene pool of birds and now Red Kites have a future

Balls. The first birds they released were migratory and they all sodded off. They then released birds from a sedentary population (similar to the British ones), and they were site-faithful and bred. It would have been Welsh birds if there were enough of them. So there was no intention to "mix" the gene pool at all. Indeed, the 'wrong' genes caused problems.

Harvesting Peregrines has gone on for over two thousand years with little effect on the population in Europe. Raptors are still under threat not from Falconers but from are industrial process.PCB have been and still can be found in birds and eggs as well as fire retardant chemicals used in paint.To think we won with DDT and all will be well in the future is living in cloud cookoland

I fail to see how attributing the Peregrine's decline in the mid-20th century to the release on men-made pesticides into the food chain can be used as an counter-argument to support the harvesting of wild Peregrines in the future.

ALL of the Peregrines problems have been man-made (along with every other species and habitat we've trashed over the millenia). I'm sure DDT, etc has had a much greater detrimental affect than harvesting, but for the purposes of this thread, there will still be 2000 less Peregrines in the wild after the harvest. How can that possibly be justifiable?

So jerkin., if we now have the problem of PCBs etc, which you're equating to DDT, all the more reason to not place added pressure on a population by taking out 2000 recruits each year eh?

There is also a serious welfare issue- these are not chicks from nests that wont know any different and will be hand-raised, they are wild full-grown birds that have been living in the wild for months. The stress of captivity will be enormous, and the mortality will also be high I'd imagine.

BTW, although PCBs can be found in raptors in varying concentrations, there's not much evidence that it actually has much effect. It may be, but so far nobody's sure what it might be. There's no clear link to a negative effect like there is for DDT and egg shell thickness etc.

Today is the final day for public comment on the matter discussed in this thread.
Post #9 contains a link to U.S. Fish and wildlife and its a simple matter for one to register their feelings electronically.
I didn't mean to disparage falconers in my posts.
I've done a great deal of volunteer work with resident peregrines nesting in my area.
Last year we had three successful nests within a ten mile radius of my home.
My concern with the issuance of capture permits for peregrines is the difficulty in regulating the harvest.
Although the harvest is to be restricted to the tundra subspecies which migrates along the atlantic coast, whose to know if an unsuccessful coastal trapper has made a foray over to one of the Hudson River Bridges or to an urban nesting location to capture an immature resident bird.
Captive bred peregrines are widely available in North America at a reasonable price. Therefore, I believe handling wild peregrines should be the exclusive domain of wildlife professionals and only for research or restoration purposes.

and why not just take 1-2 chicks per nest instead? By taking immatures, you're removing birds that have already survived the chick and post-fledging stage (when many will naturally die anyway), so you're having a direct impact on recruits. By taking chicks, you not only by-pass the welfare issue (catching wild fullgrown birds) but are also going to be taking many birds that would otherwise die. You also know the exact origin of the birds, and mortality among hand-reared chicks will be lower than for stressed full-grown birds. So even on a practical level, it's staggeringly stupid.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back