• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Perhaps another game changer (10 Viewers)

Thanks for the link,Neil!

What do you want to point out with it?

For me, Jordan‘s review appears more balanced in its wording and conclusion than yours.

Could you not edit your own review and leave some of the „perplexing“ language away? Good in-depth reviews are rare, and you have certainly the knowledge and experience to write them.

But perhaps your post # 120 was about something else entirely?

Last edited:
We should take a moment to consider that with a name like "Banner Cloud" (possibly patriotic?) these are surely targeting the Chinese domestic market, as not yet having worked out export terms also indicates. So SRBC tells us as much about the evolving taste of Chinese consumers as manufacturing capability. It's not all about lower prices for us...

So what are they using these for? In the US, a knurled CCW focuser would read as a hunting bin, but it may not be such an intentional choice. Perhaps today is the Chinese equivalent of c.1960, when so many people came to think bins were just a nice thing to have?

As to the West: as SRBCs become more available, some hunters may like them, and also astronomers although that's quite a small market. I wouldn't expect them to be very popular with birders, not only due to build quality and feel, but because price isn't the only thing keeping everyone from buying the big NLs -- there's also the weight, and the odd fact that some don't need or even like superwide FOV. Possibly also ease of viewing, where it would be nice to see a careful comparison (Holger mentioned a "limited eyebox" here too).

Last edited:
So we're excited about Banner Cloud because it's got a 9 degree FOV, versus 8 and 1/2.....I guess that explains why I don't care, I prefer 7.7 degrees :):)

In my opinion, the vast majority of Alpha binocular buyers are not the type of people who decadently brag or flaunt their optics,
... and I do agree with what you say. But the exceptions, like this fine chap, have a way of standing out from the norm...

So after just a few minutes of use, one can firmly say that an instrument is every bit as good as the alphas and excels in all terrains?
interesting point - how quickly can one tell that (a) one likes a binocular, and (b) how it compares to other binoculars you're familiar with? In my own experience I have normally been able to tell if I liked a binocular quite quickly, but to fully understand its performance has often taken some time.

I remember your (excellent, and appreciated) comparison between the 10x50 Maven and other 10x50s - how long did that take you?

So SRBC tells us as much about the evolving taste of Chinese consumers as manufacturing capability. It's not all about lower prices for us...

So what are they using these for? In the US, a knurled CCW focuser would read as a hunting bin,
There is probably a lot in that, I think. The SRBC (and indeed other models like the 6.5x32 Moon-Star) seems to have been first offered on the domestic PRC market rather than to Western rebranders and a lot of its design may reflect what that domestic market wants. If the SRBC is anything to go by it looks as though that might be a high level of optical performance with more utilitarian build/fittings. Again, that's not completely new - Soviet binoculars were nowhere near the fit and finish of a Leitz or a Zeiss West but seem to have had pretty decent optics (my own experience of an 8x30 KOMZ seems to back this up).

I've asked PRC members on this forum what they use their binoculars for, as that question interests me too, and the replies I got suggested it often seems to be "the view" rather than for any specific purpose. It's odd to think of so many expensive imported binoculars, including vintage binoculars, being used only to look at massive megacities. But it's their money to spend...

BTW, I'm intrigued by your comment re: knurled CCW focuser being associated with hunting. That doesn't appear to be the case from my view across the Atlantic (mainly from Swarovski and other Euro manufacturers being popular amongst US hunters) but I'd like to hear more, if you would.

I am sure there are a few here who worry about taking such an expensive alpha instrument to certain places or locations in spite of its top-notch optical capabilities.
You are completely wrong amigo! No one here would ever think twice about hurting the resale value of sorry, I meant scuffing up or damaging their $2,000-$3,500 "glass". Never never ever! :ROFLMAO:

Reading Andreas‘ post made me re-read Neil‘s review (post # 78 above) more carefully than before and have to admit I am somewhat perplexed about certain statements that I found there. Consider these (emphasis by me): <snip>

One often hears that it takes many weeks to garner an accurate assessment of an instrument’s optical and mechanical quality. While there is some truth in this, the reality is that once you’re used to looking through first-rate optical instruments one can easily come to firm conclusions after just a few minutes of use.“ <snip>
When I read this statement I came to the rather firm conclusion that I can't take Mr Dipperdapper seriously anymore.

Didn't even take me one minute.

Hermann

In my own experience I have normally been able to tell if I liked a binocular quite quickly, but to fully understand its performance has often taken some time.
Well put. I think that's the confusion here.
I've asked PRC members on this forum what they use their binoculars for, as that question interests me too, and the replies I got suggested it often seems to be "the view" rather than for any specific purpose. It's odd to think of so many expensive imported binoculars, including vintage binoculars, being used only to look at massive megacities. But it's their money to spend...
This really does remind me of sixty years ago in the US. Binoculars just became popular, and you look at what you have. Even cities can look more interesting to recent arrivals. Perhaps you also think of trips that in reality you will seldom take. My own father was like that.
BTW, I'm intrigued by your comment re: knurled CCW focuser being associated with hunting. That doesn't appear to be the case from my view across the Atlantic (mainly from Swarovski and other Euro manufacturers being popular amongst US hunters) but I'd like to hear more, if you would.
Of course there are upscale hunters; more typical choices though would be Maven, Tract, Vortex, GPO etc. As to why those are knurled/CCW, I'm not sure... gloved hands? Impression of durability? Do rifle scopes focus CCW, or does Kamakura just do it that way? (I find it unpleasant.)

I've asked PRC members on this forum what they use their binoculars for, as that question interests me too, and the replies I got suggested it often seems to be "the view" rather than for any specific purpose.
This is an easy question. For hunting is banned in China, the markets of bird watching and star gazing, etc., called purposes are mostly in their cradles.
But binoculars are fun to have to play with, they are toys in themselves.

the second coming of zenray, of which the hype is for a fragment the world wide population.
Going after bulb mogel is just envy and jealousy, I know he does not take this forum seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back