• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peru: Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

Holger

Germany
I have photographes some Hummingbirds in Peru, Cuzco area, Mirador Pico de Hoz. But I don't have a fieldguide for Peru, therfore I have some problems to identify them. I'm sure the identification will be easy.

Attachments

• 7DSC3236a.jpg
    7DSC3236a.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 7DSC3290a.jpg
    7DSC3290a.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 7DSC3345a.jpg
    7DSC3345a.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 7DSC3362a.jpg
    7DSC3362a.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 7DSC3370a.jpg
    7DSC3370a.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 26
  • 7DSC3376a.jpg
    7DSC3376a.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 7DSC3379a.jpg
    7DSC3379a.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 25
No time to check IDs but for the benefit of others location is apparently close to the bottom of Manu road, altitude 550m approx., where the east slope of the Andes meets the Amazonian lowlands
Cheers
James

Ok, some educated guesses with the help of the field guide;

1) Many-spotted Hummingbird?
2) and 4) Golden-tailed Sapphire (definitely)
3) Sapphire-spangled Emerald female?
5) Many-spotted Hummingbird??
6) and 7) Sapphire-spangled Emerald male?

Cheers
James

1) and 5): I don't think that these are Many-spotted Hummingbirds because a white spot behind the eye is missing.

1) and 5): I don't think that these are Many-spotted Hummingbirds because a white spot behind the eye is missing.
Suspect female / immature fork-tailed woodnymph for both. I note the large white undertail tips in the pic 1: don't think these are present in many-spotted hummingbird.

Think the other IDs are OK. I note I found 2 not straightforward: it was difficult for me to tell that the tail was copper coloured rather than blue (as in white-chinned sapphire), and the throat area isn't as solidly colourful as I might have expected.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back