• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition against hunting in Malta (2 Viewers)

I've signed the petition, I hope it has some effect. Personally, I think a more effective way would be to organise a coordinated campaign against the Maltese tourism industry.

Start by writing to all tour operators who include Malta in their brochures, and ask them to remove the island as a destination until illegal hunting is stopped. Follow this up with a leafleting campaign outside the doors of their high street shops. Make sure there is press coverage. Make sure Malta is associated in people's minds with gory photos of dead birds. Have a slogan like "Fly to Malta - no need to buy a return ticket" above a bleeding Honey Buzzard.

If local people with interests in the tourism industry feared for their businesses, they would almost certainly lobby the government to deal with the issue. The key to this is money.

Brilliant slogan though I'd use a photo of something pretty shot to pieces like a Hoopoe or Golden Oriole (should be easy enough to come by). Too many people don't get raptors.......

I've signed the petition, I hope it has some effect. Personally, I think a more effective way would be to organise a coordinated campaign against the Maltese tourism industry.

Start by writing to all tour operators who include Malta in their brochures, and ask them to remove the island as a destination until illegal hunting is stopped. Follow this up with a leafleting campaign outside the doors of their high street shops. Make sure there is press coverage. Make sure Malta is associated in people's minds with gory photos of dead birds. Have a slogan like "Fly to Malta - no need to buy a return ticket" above a bleeding Honey Buzzard.

If local people with interests in the tourism industry feared for their businesses, they would almost certainly lobby the government to deal with the issue. The key to this is money.

The people carrying out this destruction have been at it for years and it is costing them a considerable amount of money. It is all very sad and there have been campaigns year after year all to no avail . The EU have alot to answer for after all the broken promises that were made when they allowed Malta to join I firmly beleive they are the only people who have a hope of stopping this but even they seem to have given up trying, perhaps if everybody else in Europe contacted their MEP with petitions there may be something done but this has been going on for so long i doubt it would make any difference at all . The maltese authorities have always seemed to have a "not in front of the tourists" view to all of this destruction which as i said before is nothing new and and so cruel.

Illegal hunting in Malta has been going on for a long time. This year is going to be critical as the government has announced it is considering a 'limited' spring hunting season. If this happens then monitoring will be needed to show the extent and impact of this hunting - volunteers for BirdLife Malta's spring watch anyone?

Watch this video - then pass it on please;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0SgNMBvVoQ

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back