• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PF80 Straight with Nikon DSLR and lens setup question (1 Viewer)

mannukiddo

I have just received my Pentax PF80 straight and use a Nikon DSLR with a variety of lenses. Following are some of the lenses that I have that I think may be suitable for digiscoping
50 1.8
50 1.4
18-55 generation 1
35-70 2.8
The first 3 lenses have a 52 mm filter while the last has a 62 mm filter ring.

So amongst these which one would be the ideal lens for digiscoping and also the best eyepiece to use with these lenses.
I stay in India so cant really try and buy. I am assuming that XW20 would be the best EP and so has anyone used the above mentioned lenses with the XW20 without any vignetting or focussing problems? I would also like to know if I need any additonal digiscoping adapters/accessories to use with the above combination. I also have a Feisol carbon fibre tripod.

Thanks in advance.

Generally a prime lens is better than a zoom because the weight of the camera can be a stain on the lens mechanisms. A 28mm or 35mm would be good to add too as a 50mm can be too much power unless the light is good.

I've used a Pentax 80mm scope in the past with an XW20 and a Baader Hyperion 17mm. I found the Hyperion produced better photos and is a fraction of the cost of the XW20. Both eyepieces are threaded for camera lenses, you just need to get the correct step down rings for whatever lens you are using.

Paul.

I have not been impressed with my XW20 and agree with Paul to go for the Baader
All of these eyepieces can be used for digiscoping and you can even get slow AF in good light with the right setup (camera separate to the scope ). Try the 18-55mm which is not a bad zoom lens for the price, although the 35-70/2.8 is obviously much better quality but also heavier.
Neil

I have not been impressed with my XW20 and agree with Paul to go for the Baader
All of these eyepieces can be used for digiscoping and you can even get slow AF in good light with the right setup (camera separate to the scope ). Try the 18-55mm which is not a bad zoom lens for the price, although the 35-70/2.8 is obviously much better quality but also heavier.
Neil

Thanks Neil, Paul for your inputs. Is this the Baader EP

http://www.agenaastro.com/Baader-Hyperion-Eyepiece-17mm-p/e-bp-hyp-17.htm

you are referring to? I am an absolute fresher to digi-scoping with spotting scopes and eye pieces so kindly help me in picking out the correct EP.

Just read some posts which say that the Baader Hyprion EPs do not reach focus on Pentax scopes especially the zoom. So does this 17mm EP in the link provided above reach focus even at infinity on the Pentax straight Pf80 ED? This is very important as returning the EP back from India will be very difficult.
Regards,

Last edited:
That's the correct eyepiece you linked to. I used mine on a PF80 angled scope and it worked fine to infinity. Haven't got access to a straight scope to be able to test. As far as I know it was the zoom eyepiece that had the problem with focusing to infinity. Maybe email Baader and see what they say.

Paul.

Emailed Baader and they confirm that the 17mm EP will reach focus as they have tested it on a PF65 ED and since the PF80 has the same focussing assembly, it should not be a problem even on the 80mm scope.

Now the next question, I see a focus ring on the EP body. So what is this used for? Does one not focus using the scope focuser or is it mandatory to focus this EP only by using the focusing ring on the EP body?

Also does this 17mm EP lock on the PF80 body or is it only inserted inside the scope body and one has to hold it steady by hand to stop it from falling off?
The 8-24 zoom locks very well using the locking ring on the scope but I am not sure if the locking ring can be used even with the Baader 17mm EP.

Pardon the newbie questions but I really cant try and buy.

Thanks in advance.

There's no focusing ring on the 17mm or any of the other fixed length Hyperion eyepieces. Anything that looks like a focus ring is purely cosmetic.

As far as I know the scope clamps down onto the chrome 1.25" barrel of the eyepiece so it should lock onto any 1.25" astronomy type eyepiece without any issues. The PF80 angled scope I tried locked onto it fine.

Paul.

I think that after all the challenges you are going to jump through to get this to work you will still be disappointed with the results.

If you are set using a dSLR with a fieldscope it would be alot simpler just to either order a Nikon ED82 and FSA-L1 dSLR adapter to use with your Nikon camera OR buy a Pentax dSLR and Pentax CA-35 adapter.

Of course, you could use the easy way and go with a compact digicam. Lots of benefits to this method over the dSLR.

Thanks Paul for a quick reply and now I am all set to order my 17mm Baader Hyperion from Agenastro.

@RJM: Yes I think getting this set up to work will be a tough act especially with no live view to guide me and probably no AF too on my DSLR. I will be looking to buy a compact 3X digicam as soon as I get the fixed Baader EP, most probably a Nikon Coolpix L series, and buy a digiscoping adapter to digiscope. I took my PF80 + Pentax XW zoom combo yesterday for some birding at the river bed near my house and I was astonished with the views I got at 20X - 35X of the Ruffs and Snipes present there and cant wait to get a fixed 30X EP solely for viewing pleasure. My LX-L Nikon 10X32 was pathetic in sharpness and contrast in comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back