• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus trivirgatus peterseni Salomonsen 1962 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

The only place I found here:
My goodness, aren't you the ray of sunshine. In recent years, it seems to have strayed away a bit from this tendency and become, in many cases, a kind of honorarium bestowed on people that have contributed quite a bit to the field of ornithology. E.g. Megascops peterseni, Myrmotherula fjeldsaai to name a couple of recent ones.

Phylloscopus trivirgatus peterseni Salomonsen 1962 OD Salomonsen , F. 1962 . The mountain bird fauna of Palawan, Philippine Islands. Dansk Ornithologisk Forenings Tidsskrift 56 : 129-134 (not seen)
Malindangia mcgregori peterseni (Salomonsen, 1953) OD Salomonsen, F. (1953). Miscellaneous notes on Philippine birds. Videnskabelige Meddelelserfra Dansk Naturhistorisk Forening i København, 115, 205–281 (not seesn)

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Sharp-tailed Cuckooshrike ssp Coracina mcgregori peterseni Salomonsen 1953 NCR, NRM
Mountain Leaf Warbler ssp Phylloscopus trivirgatus peterseni Salomonsen 1962
Erik Petersen (d. 1961) was a Danish zoologist, Curator of Ornithology, Zoological useum, Copenhagen. He was on the Dnish Philippines Expedition (1951-1952).

The Key to Scientific Names
Erik Petersen (d. 1961) Danish zoologist, collector, explorer in the Philippines 1951-1952 (syn. Malindangia mcgregori, subsp. Phylloscopus trivirgatus).

He is mentioned Noona Dan ekspeditionen is mentioned:
Konservator Erik Petersen, ekspeditionens ornitolog, døde i oktober 1961 som følge af overfølsomhed overfor et insektstik.

No idea when he was born and what day he died in october 1961 by a reaction of an insect bite.

An interesting opinion

"Han var heller ikke så politisk korrekt, for han sagde, at hvis du ser en sjælden fugl, så skyd den for helvede, for ellers er der ingen der tror på det, og det havde han ganske ret i, hvilket jeg har oplevet mange gange både i Danmark og udlandet."

" if you see a rare bird, shoot it to hell, because otherwise, no one believes it, and he was quite right in that, which I have experienced many times both in Denmark and abroad."

A long article about him

Erik Petersen

Birth5 Dec 1918 Nakskov, Western inlet of LollandDenmark
EmployerZoologisk Museum, Denmark
Death28 Oct 1961 Tawitawi, Sulu Islands,

Last edited:
Malindangia mcgregori peterseni (Salomonsen, 1953) OD Salomonsen, F. (1953). Miscellaneous notes on Philippine birds. Videnskabelige Meddelelserfra Dansk Naturhistorisk Forening i København, 115, 205–281 (not seesn)
I can't find the whole thing, but:
https://www.google.com/search?q="Malindangia+mcgregori+peterseni"+intitle:Videnskabelige+petersen&newwindow=1&biw=1920&bih=903&tbm=bks
Remarks : Named in honour of Mr. Erik PETERSEN, member of The Danish Philippine Expedition 1951-52.

Phylloscopus trivirgatus peterseni Salomonsen 1962 OD Salomonsen , F. 1962 . The mountain bird fauna of Palawan, Philippine Islands. Dansk Ornithologisk Forenings Tidsskrift 56 : 129-134 (not seen)
Named in honour of the collector, ERIK PETERSEN, who succumbed tragically on Tawitawi in the Sulu Islands during the NOONA DAN Expedition; obituary in Dansk Ornith. Foren. Tidsskr., 1962, vol. 56, p. 91-93.

Obituary (as per the above, by Finn Salomonsen): https://pub.dof.dk/artikler/1239/do...nnes-larsen-27-december-1867-20-december-1961
ERIK PETERSEN
* 14. januar 1918 † 28. oktober 1961

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back