• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Picture of a bird from Scotland (1 Viewer)

ltkaarina

United Kingdom
Hello, I am just starting to pay more attention to birds so I don't know how to else search for this than just asking!

This was at the Tay forest park earlier today. The bird was actively looking around, up and down in every direction, it was quite far so the quality is very poor, apologies!

20240218_152333.jpg20240218_152419.jpg

Hi ltkaarina and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Could the twigs appear thicker than in reality due to photo quality? I find it hard to reconcile the beige, the white undertail and the black moustache with any other (European) species, and Jays are common birds. The closest (and still very off) would be Waxwing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be able to judge the size of a lone bird based on a phone picture. It's also quite a distance away.

This Hoopoe suffered from the same problem of phones downsizing birds, maybe because of the background eating into the silhouette.

Last edited:
Hello,

welcome to Birdforum from me too!
Do you have more pictures?
Yes, its unIDable for me too.

My first gut feeling was Mistle Thrush, but the appearant features mentioned by 01101001, that might well only be the result of picture artefacts (as others said, no offence) and your describtion of the behaviour fits a Jay.
Normally, a Mistle Thrush on a prominent perch doesnt look around and/or up and down, but flies away. But its a regular Corvid or Jay scanning behaviour. (Yes, this isnt a real feature)

(And can I just make out a pale supercilium in the first picture?) No offence, but in the end I agree with Ken still hope for more pictures. Welcome to Birdforum again!

and Jays are common birds
Actually Jays aren't that common in Scotland, especially in rural areas as they've been heavily persecuted in the past. Numbers may be building but I still get excited when I see one, and that's generally only occasional visits at our woodland edge feeders. Not seen one for months now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back