• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pileated or ivory billed? (1 Viewer)

jbrenn99

jbrenn99
I saw this woodpecker last weekend. It was quite a large bird with a wingspan of approximately 30 to 36 inches. Sorry for the fuzzy picture but the lighting was bad. I'm almost positive it's a pileated woodpecker but can anyone tell from the photo? Thx.

Hi Jbrenn99. I think you forgot to add the photo. Welcome to the bird forum though. Nice to meet you.

Paul

Really guys, a person comes on the board, posts a first post with an honest question and right away the jokes start.

I look forward to seeing the photo. Welcome.

Unless IBWO has completely changed its distribution from southern bottomland swamps to Canada, Pileated would seem to be the only likely possible answer.

Really though, can't some people see the funny side of things?
It's the funniest thing I've read since Science Vol. 308. no. 5727, pp. 1460 - 1462.

Yes, probably a safe bet it is not an Ivory-billed.

And yes, Terry's comment was somewhat humorous but NOT when it is the visitors first post he is responding to!

No worries, I have the thickest of skins... and, after all, it was funny.
I had a problem uploading the picture last week and I tried to do so several times.

Let' try that again. Here's the photo of what I'm sure now is a wp of the pileated variety. Anyway, experts feel free to weigh in. And thanks for the welcome.

Attachments

• WP3.jpg
    WP3.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 157
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back