• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pink-backed or Great White Pelican? KL Bird Park (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
**DISREGARD. REMOVED** Captive bird photos not allowed.

DISREGARD This post request for ID as the rules of bird photos must be in their natural environment. Captive bird photos not allowed.

I could not find way how to delete this post, therefore, update the post content here.

Hi,

It is my first time trying to ID a pelican. Taken at Kuala Lumpur Bird Park, Malaysia, March 2020.

There are signboard but because they can move around freely in the aviary, often they are not at their designated area. I am having difficulties pinpoint them. Furthermore, I still can't tell and differenciate them from the pic on the signboard.

My guessing #1 & #2 are Pink-backed Pelican and #3 is Great White Pelican. or they are all same species?

Thanks for help.

PIC-20200308-112903-DSC05925t.JPG

PIC-20200308-124504-DSC06091t.JPG

PIC_20200308_132629t.JPG

Last edited:
A forum rule, is no shots of captive birds.

Thanks Andy for the notification. I have checked the rules, it mentioned "captive birds" but didn't elaborate further. To my understanding, "captive" is means "caged". Does aviary considered "captive"?

If that is the case, perhaps forum admin should elaborate little more details "only birds in wild" allowed to post here. I will notify admin in regards of this if anyone else agreed and will request to delete this post.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=267793

Thanks Andy for the notification. I have checked the rules, it mentioned "captive birds" but didn't elaborate further. To my understanding, "captive" is means "caged". Does aviary considered "captive"?

If that is the case, perhaps forum admin should elaborate little more details "only birds in wild" allowed to post here. I will notify admin in regards of this if anyone else agreed and will request to delete this post.

By any definition, aviary birds are captive, that is unambiguous as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter how big the enclosure is, it's just a bigger, cage.

Yes, the rules could be a bit clearer, I guess. And yes, an aviary is considered captive: the important point being that the bird has been put there by man, after an unknowable distance of transportation from its natural place of occurrence, and may also be of unknowable, possibly hybrid, inheritance.

Just suppose, as an example, if one of the pelicans at KL Bird Park was the offspring of a pairing between a hybrid between an American White Pelican and an African Pink-backed Pelican, and a hybrid between a Dalmatian Pelican and an Australian Pelican - what hopes could anyone have of identifying it from a photo? This sort of stuff can (and does) happen in zoos, it can't happen in the wild.

Yes, the rules could be a bit clearer, I guess. And yes, an aviary is considered captive: the important point being that the bird has been put there by man, after an unknowable distance of transportation from its natural place of occurrence, and may also be of unknowable, possibly hybrid, inheritance.

Just suppose, as an example, if one of the pelicans at KL Bird Park was the offspring of a pairing between a hybrid between an American White Pelican and an African Pink-backed Pelican, and a hybrid between a Dalmatian Pelican and an Australian Pelican - what hopes could anyone have of identifying it from a photo? This sort of stuff can (and does) happen in zoos, it can't happen in the wild.

That make sense. Noted. I will update the main post content and title if not possible to delete this post.

I believe the more appropriate elaboration of photo rules can be "bird photos must be in their natural environment".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back