• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pinnacle visit (2 Viewers)

Been too busy doing nothing 2 post. Did make it 2 the Pinnacles, nice drive with green & yellow everywhere. If going, the eastern side of the park is where the action is. Multi level trails for the wild flower and Condor views. Dummy me came in from the west and drove east which is now possible. I would recommend weekday visits. Too crowded 4 me and didn't see a Condor.
Here @ home it's birding galore! U name it, Towhees, Quail, Cuckoos, Dove, Quail and a California Thrasher run by have all returned. Stereo Whippoorwills at my stand is pure delight. My creek running, the bird song, the flowers blooming is like a normal California spring for a change. Flowers and birds everywhere for the feast. The raptors, vultures and owls R eating good too. I was able 2 C a red tail make a kill with my new scope. Right time, place and gear. Way better than watching a video! Njoy don't Destroy! Birdbrain 14

I like running a focus through the grassy field in front of my place with my new 16x80 scope. Something almost always pops up, Ground squirrels and rabbits like the cover from above, a bobcat on the prowl in the grass and birds gather to court & eat. RT, RP, RG (Right time right place right gear) is magic when it happens.
As I turn the focus knob to begin a run I see insects flying in the focus field. Just 4 a second then disappear. As I move along the focus they dance in front of me.
"Fairies I tell ya!" All shapes and sizes including a moth dance in the field. Who says spotting can't be fun, not me. RP and RT are easy, the gear is the trick. Binoculars won't work, the depth of field is too slow for the effect. A traditional spotter may work if the focal length is between 300mm & 400mm. I am guessing a 60mm will work and problems with an 80mm unless below F5.
My scope has a rack n pinion focuser to handle the speed of my lens. It's hard to believe an 80mm could go supersonic at F4, be handheld, lightweight and run @16X. Best $300 bucks I ever spent.
Maybe U can see fairies too. LMK Keep a sharp eye! Birdbrain 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back