• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit... have I got the wrong one? (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I got this down as a Meadow Pipit and posted it in the Gallery.

Someone has suggested it's a Tree Pipit!

There were no trees anywhere near and if it is one it will be a first pipture for me LOL

Can you set my mind at rest please.

Near the Crinan Canal in May.

Attachments

• BF check ID 73022.jpg
    BF check ID 73022.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 172
  • BF check ID 83039.jpg
    BF check ID 83039.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 119
LOL I wondered if anyone would notice that Andrew.... or if they'd be too polite to mention it!!!

Thanks guys - I was wondering if I was missing something.

Meadow Pipit Delia-stop worrying! ;)

I'd be interested how you can be so positive about that from the photos, the bill looks quite strong, white belly with fine flank stripes, and you can't see the hind claw, I'm not being contentious, I would just like to know what makes it so obvious to you, I'm always willing to learn, thank you.

I'd be interested how you can be so positive about that from the photos, the bill looks quite strong, white belly with fine flank stripes, and you can't see the hind claw, I'm not being contentious, I would just like to know what makes it so obvious to you, I'm always willing to learn, thank you.

There are a few pro-Meadow Pipit that stand out for me, Keith:
1. Although the flank streaks are somewhat fine they're fairly similar in thickness to the breast streaking. On Tree Pipit they're usually significantly finer and 'pencil' like e.g.
https://avesrares.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/rm_130530_mg_56131.jpg
2. The bill looks relatively long and fine to me. On Tree Pipit the bill is quite strong, as you say, but it tends to look a bit shorter than this and broader at the base e.g.
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2081&Bird_Image_ID=135913
3. It has a complete eye ring that isn't broken at the front, giving it an 'open faced' look. Tree Pipit normally shows a dark line in front of the eye that breaks the eye ring, giving it a sharper look e.g.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmguerra/39847178345

Last edited:
Meadow Pipits (in Spring) that are reminiscent of Tree Pipit... I always link to this interesting article...
http://birdingfrontiers.com/category/12-pipits-and-wagtails/page/5/. Edit - seems the link only goes to the Pipits section now??? The article is one click back on 'older' at the bottom, or type in Icelandic Meadow Pipit into a search engine and that should bring up the Birding Frontiers link...
A few years ago I had a (silent) Meadow Pipit that I initially thought was Tree Pipit but everything didn't stack up, e.g. the breast streaking.

Last edited:
The two Pictures that Delia uploaded definitely show that the breast streaks are much thicker than the flank streaks,you can't see the clawes and the photo is not sharp enough for looking at the eye ring,the only thing in the Pictures to doubt it is a Tree Pipit is that the belly isn't white enough.That said it's sometimes hard to judge from a picture anyhow but in this case that's all we have. To hear it sing would make it easy,but we can't.

Last edited:
The two Pictures that Delia uploaded definitely show that the breast streaks are much thicker than the flank streaks,you can't see the clawes and the photo is not sharp enough for looking at the eye ring,the only thing in the Pictures to doubt it is a Tree Pipit is that the belly isn't white enough.That said it's sometimes hard to judge from a picture anyhow but in this case that's all we have. To hear it sing would make it easy,but we can't.

There's very little difference in the thickness. See the first photo I linked to. That's the sort of difference you'd be looking for. The point about the eye ring and the dark line is it gives the bird a different look, which can be seen even in less clear photos.

Although I agree that it would be good to hear them sing, this looks a fairly standard and straightforward Meadow Pipit to me.

There's very little difference in the thickness. See the first photo I linked to. That's the sort of difference you'd be looking for. The point about the eye ring and the dark line is it gives the bird a different look, which can be seen even in less clear photos.

Although I agree that it would be good to hear them sing, this looks a fairly standard and straightforward Meadow Pipit to me.

Agree.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back